No seating plan?

jjward2019jjward2019 Posts: 106 New bride
Has anyone had a relaxed/ informal BBQ/ hog roast type of meal instead of the traditional wedding breakfast with no seating plan. I’m trying to envisage how this will work with caterers and the like and how the day might run. Thanks! 

• AliceJAliceJ Posts: 18 New bride
    I'm debating whether to have no seating plan too, so just jumping in! I'm having informal buffet. I think the set up of the room, the table type and arrangement may influence. I imagine long trestle tables may work better with no seating plan for example. Also If your guests will mingle by themselves too! Interested to see what others say too. 
  • MrsRendall2BMrsRendall2B Posts: 664 New bride
    You could probably get away without one if doing an informal, buffet style meal. Wouldn't dream of it for a formal sit down meal haha :lol:

I do think it'll work better with long trestle tables rather than round though. Otherwise it could be a bit of a free for all with people squishing more people onto tables than there should be and potentially some tables with only a couple of people on. 

Depends how well you think your guests will mingle with others. Personally, my friends all live quite far away so it's not often we're all in the same room at once so I know they'd naturally gravitate to each other anyway so I'm sitting them together on my table plan and you may well end up with the same - people just sat in their little 'groups' meaning anyone not in a group could feel left out.
  • MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,458 New bride
    The problem with no seating plan is that if people just sit wherever they fancy, inevitably there will be spare odd seats and then you need more chairs/table settings than you actually need. I'd assign tables at least, you don't need to do specific seats.
  • jjward2019jjward2019 Posts: 106 New bride
    You could probably get away without one if doing an informal, buffet style meal. Wouldn't dream of it for a formal sit down meal haha :lol:

I do think it'll work better with long trestle tables rather than round though. Otherwise it could be a bit of a free for all with people squishing more people onto tables than there should be and potentially some tables with only a couple of people on. 

Depends how well you think your guests will mingle with others. Personally, my friends all live quite far away so it's not often we're all in the same room at once so I know they'd naturally gravitate to each other anyway so I'm sitting them together on my table plan and you may well end up with the same - people just sat in their little 'groups' meaning anyone not in a group could feel left out.
    @MrsRendall2B yes ours are long trestle tables. We’ve only got 55 people coming so a small-ish wedding. All of our guests are in groups so no one will or should be on their own. 
  • jjward2019jjward2019 Posts: 106 New bride
    MrsCToBee said:
    The problem with no seating plan is that if people just sit wherever they fancy, inevitably there will be spare odd seats and then you need more chairs/table settings than you actually need. I'd assign tables at least, you don't need to do specific seats.
    @MrsCToBee yes this is what we had been thinking. Just so people have somewhere they can leave their stuff and know they have somewhere to go if they wanted. We’re hoping It will just be a nice big party rather than lots of formalities so just tables might work.
  • longhaullonghaul Posts: 22 New bride
    were doing hog roast but served seated and I say definately have a seating plan unless your venue is twice the size as the number of guests... people don't like to socialize with strangers, thats why people virtually always leave a seat gap and that then means there's not enough seats and groups/couples inevitably get split up

I know I couldn't relax while running around like a headless chicken in a supermarket dash to try and get a seat with my partner/friends