So much to do and only 4 months to go

jjward2019jjward2019 Posts: 131 New bride
There is 4 months until our wedding and we still have so much to do... I feel so overwhelmed 😣 but I’m also so bored with the planning and the whole process I actually have lost the will with it all. You guys would be scared to know how much is left to do...
Any ideas how to get through this phase would be much appreciated. Thanks!

• MrsRendall2BMrsRendall2B Posts: 749 New bride
    I'm gonna ask... what have you got left to do? I've got less than four months to go too.

I found breaking the whole 'to-do' list down into smaller, more manageable chunks worked best for me. I wrote down everything that needed doing and roughly when it needed doing by then assigned the tasks out - some for me, some for H2B and then some that friends/family who had offered to help could do. Once I'd got my 'share', I just started working through them based on what needed doing first.

Just remember why you're doing it all :) And if it isn't necessary and you can live without it, don't bother!
  • AliceJAliceJ Posts: 18 New bride
    I've got 3 months to go and totally relate to this! It feels like the to do list goes on and on. I keep telling myself I have covered all the big things, everything else is a bonus!

I found giving myself 1 or 2 wedding things to achieve each week is achievable. This week was the cake! I try not to worry about anything else other than that until I've sorted. Also delegate!! Give someone a task they can take ownership of and leave to their own devices. (something you get less excited by maybe or have no strong preferences).

Think of the amazing day at the end of it 😊x
  • jjward2019jjward2019 Posts: 131 New bride
    I'm gonna ask... what have you got left to do? I've got less than four months to go too.

I found breaking the whole 'to-do' list down into smaller, more manageable chunks worked best for me. I wrote down everything that needed doing and roughly when it needed doing by then assigned the tasks out - some for me, some for H2B and then some that friends/family who had offered to help could do. Once I'd got my 'share', I just started working through them based on what needed doing first.

Just remember why you're doing it all :) And if it isn't necessary and you can live without it, don't bother!

So still left we have:
    - Evening invites print and send
    - Catering (sorted but some changes needed)
    - Suits, shoes and ties for 4 
    - Flower girl dresses and shoes
    - bride shoes and accessories
    - booking trials
    - confetti
    - table plan
    - decorations plan and buy
    - decide on drinks and work out cost
    - sweet table
    - timeline for the day
    - decide on flowers 
    - print the order of service 
    - gifts 
    - pick first dance song 
    - speak with photographer
    - cake topper
    - insurance
    - arrange bridal party to marquee 

honestly there is more too! X
  • OmRumOmRum Posts: 896 New bride
    That all seems doable and quite a normal amount. I would list them in order of most important to least, and then set aside a couple of weekends or evenings to work through them. Once you've split some of the tasks with your fiancé it should be easier as well. Also, work out what might take longer to do. For instance, a lot of those are just email jobs that you can do of an evening, whereas things like decorations will take longer and may need to be broken down into separate tasks.

Another thing to do is to split out the "fun" stuff from the "wedmin". Sending emails to caterers is dull, but picking flowers, doing decorations and designing a sweet table should be fun, so you could set aside a weekend with your fiancé to work through those. Don't forget, your parents, bridesmaids and groomsmen can be asked to get involved in things like crafting, so you might get extra hands.

If you've got the option, you might want to think about taking a few days off work before the wedding to give yourselves some buffer time to do things like buy gifts, decorations, table plan, etc.
    AliceJ said:
    I've got 3 months to go and totally relate to this! It feels like the to do list goes on and on. I keep telling myself I have covered all the big things, everything else is a bonus!

I found giving myself 1 or 2 wedding things to achieve each week is achievable. This week was the cake! I try not to worry about anything else other than that until I've sorted. Also delegate!! Give someone a task they can take ownership of and leave to their own devices. (something you get less excited by maybe or have no strong preferences).

Think of the amazing day at the end of it 😊x

Thank you! Im glad I’m not the only one feeling this way. Ours has been a bit harder as we are having a marquee which I prey 👏 will be lovely but it’s a lot more to ‘worry’ about that i first realised! 
    I think once the suits are sorted I’ll feel better as that’s the one big thing left I think! Yes hope so! X
    edited May 2019
    OmRum said:
    That all seems doable and quite a normal amount. I would list them in order of most important to least, and then set aside a couple of weekends or evenings to work through them. Once you've split some of the tasks with your fiancé it should be easier as well. Also, work out what might take longer to do. For instance, a lot of those are just email jobs that you can do of an evening, whereas things like decorations will take longer and may need to be broken down into separate tasks.

Another thing to do is to split out the "fun" stuff from the "wedmin". Sending emails to caterers is dull, but picking flowers, doing decorations and designing a sweet table should be fun, so you could set aside a weekend with your fiancé to work through those. Don't forget, your parents, bridesmaids and groomsmen can be asked to get involved in things like crafting, so you might get extra hands.

If you've got the option, you might want to think about taking a few days off work before the wedding to give yourselves some buffer time to do things like buy gifts, decorations, table plan, etc.
    Thank you. My fiancé isn’t really hands on which doesn’t help and there’s a lot going on in my family so I don’t feel like I can delegate anything without being annoying. 

I plan to take the week off before so I will have some time. 

Just trying to find the time to do all of this! May need to look into taking a day off lol
  • MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,949 New bride
    It doesn't look a huge amount left to do, don't panic!My brother had a marquee wedding and only realised it didn't have a floor the week before and still got it sorted.
    We have a fairly all in one venue, so not much to do on that front.

We just have to:
    Complete and return ceremony choices booklet to registrar
    Print table plan and put in frame (actual table planning done)
    Buy C a suit - have a date in the diary to go and do this
    We have a pre-wedding shoot  in a couple of weeks as we are both highly un-photogenic
    Hen dos and stag do - all arranged, just need to turn up.
    Order cake from M&S when we get to 3 month mark
    Order flowers from Triangle Nursery - have some practice flowers at home this week to decide on final plan for arrangements.
    Have had hair trial, make up trial is in July

Just break it down into a couple of tasks a week  and it will soon whittle down.
  • MrsRendall2BMrsRendall2B Posts: 749 New bride
    Alright, because I'm a bit of a control freak and I love planning, I've come up with a little spreadsheet for you similar to mine with:

- Tasks to be done
    - Assigned to (don't assign them all to yourself :lol:)
    - Due by
    - Done? (I love ticking things off!)
    - Notes 

I'll pm it you xx