Providing transport for guests

Hi! 

My partner and I are getting married later this year and are trying to sort out what provisions we need to make for our guests RE transport to/from the wedding, as we don't want people to have to forgo drinking to attend.

We're getting married & having our reception in our small village which is approx an hour from where anybody else lives. The nearest hotel is a Best Western type hotel, so is reasonable prices and is where I expect most guests will stay. It's about a 10 min drive away, but a taxi will cost 25 pounds!!

As a wedding guest, who has already paid not only for a hotel, but also to travel an hour to the location what would you expect in terms of transport on the day?

I was thinking of hiring a coach to take people to/from the wedding but am worried this will be too restrictive in regards to timings. The only other thought I had was to try and put on subsidised taxis from a local company so people can leave when they're ready but will still have to pay a small amount to get to the hotel?

• Samantha265Samantha265 Posts: 469 New bride
    I would only expect transport from wedding venue to reception venue, if they were a large distance apart. I wouldnt expect my transport home to be sorted or even subsidised at all.
  • OmRumOmRum Posts: 900 New bride
    I wouldn't expect transport at all, but if you did put on something from the ceremony to the reception I would appreciate it.
  • Cecilia13Cecilia13 Posts: 512 New bride
    We have booked a vintage bus to transport guests from the ceremony to the reception (it's about 30 mins), but are leaving getting to the ceremony and from the reception up to the guests; however we have put recommended stations and taxi numbers (it's about 15 mins in a taxi) on our wedding website so people can find it all easily.
  • MrsRendall2BMrsRendall2B Posts: 749 New bride
    I would never expect any transport except if the ceremony and reception venues were really far apart and even then it wouldn’t necessarily be expected but certainly appreciated. 

I’d always expect to have to make it to a ceremony and from a reception though. 
  • MrsPope2018MrsPope2018 Posts: 1,342 New bride
    Weve been to a couple of weddings where transport has been provided, usually for the evening reception, but we are going to one in July where transport is provided for the whole day but that is because the venue is quite a way away from most of the guests. It's very much appreciated and  makes life a lot easier, but definitely not expected at all!! 
    We offered transport to our guests when we got married and put on the invite if anyone was interested to let us know and we would arrange a pick up point but no one did and they all sorted their own transport out, however we got married quite locally and it was all in one venue.
  • CoffeeDogAddictCoffeeDogAddict Posts: 1,341 New bride
    I wouldn't expect transport as a guest at all, but i do understand why you want to put it on. 
    Our venue is a bit "in the sticks" so even a taxi to the nearest town is close to £20, but personally having been a guest at weddings that aren't local, you accept that the logistics are something you figure out as part of attending. 

We have one this summer thats 2.5hrs away, so we will either decide to get a hotel and taxis or we will just made the round trip in a day and one of us wont drink. We have another one early next year about 3 hours away, and again will make that call nearer the time depending on our own finances. 

Yes it might be a shame if people don't drink, but its a wedding, they wont need to drink to be able to have a good time :)  you could always encourage guests to taxi or lift share instead?