Will we regret NOT having a wedding videographer?

Initially, we were dead against the idea of having a wedding videographer. Neither myself nor my H2B particularly enjoy having our photos taken, let alone a video taken of us.

However, so many people have told us that the day goes by in such a blur and they would have regretted not having a video to look back on. So over the last few weeks, I have been getting quotes off a bunch of different videographers. Some are not available (we are getting married July 2020), others are way out of our budget. I found one I liked, booked them and paid the deposit, only for them to come back a few minutes later saying that they had actually already got a booking for my wedding date (!). Another videographer I am currently emailing to arrange a meeting with has gone cold and he hasn't replied to any of my emails over the last couple of weeks. 

If the videographer I'm in contact with at the moment doesn't get back to me soon, I genuinely think that it's just not meant to be, and I won't bother trying to book anyone else...or would that be a massive mistake?

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,949 New bride
    We have bought a Go Pro and put one of the best men in charge of filming key moments - we just don't have the budget for a videographer.
  • OmRumOmRum Posts: 896 New bride
    We didn't have the budget for a videographer, so we got people to film the speeches on their phones, which all came out fine. A couple of other people happened to send us snippet videos of the first dance, leaving the church and bits of the reception, so we're hoping to make up a short DVD to put them altogether. None of my friends have had vidiographers, so I didn't seem like a big deal.

Like you, I hate seeing myself on television, so I was more concerned with paying out for a good photographer. If we had had the budget, I might have been more insistent on having a videographer as well, but I think I would have just spent more on the photographs.
  • CoffeeDogAddictCoffeeDogAddict Posts: 1,341 New bride
    We have, and still are, back and forthing over this a lot. I am desperate for some kind of video - just because in years time i want to be able to look back and see my grandparents. My grandpa will be 96 by the time it comes around so i feel like ill regret it if we cant! 

As out back up we are using Go Pros too, like MrsCtoBee suggested. It could also be worth (if you dont want to pay out for kit) looking into "Shoot it Yourself" where you hire the cameras and put a few people in charge, send the footage and cameras back and they edit it for you!
  • Samantha265Samantha265 Posts: 467 New bride
    We didn't have one and we havent regretted it for a second. We spent a lot to get a high end award winning photographer and the images are more than enough of a reminder of our day. I dislike having a camera in my face, so it would have made me uncomfortable. I know lots of people who have literally only watched their videos once and they are now just gathering dust. 
  • Thank you so much for your responses!! I have just had a look into Shoot It Yourself and that could be a really good option, I love the ideas of the go pros too! 

We've also gone for a photographer who is totally out style - hide in the bushes, not even know he's there - so would want something the same for a videographer, but a lot of the quotes we have had back are for £2000+, which is quadruple what we would be willing to spend!

I think a wedding video would be something nice to have, similar to you CoffeeDogAddict, my grandad will be 98 by then and it would be lush to have something to look back on. However, the other half's sister got married a couple of years ago and she's literally only watched her video once!

Thanks again for your input ladies 😊
    edited May 2019
    Just as another option i found another company called Edit Your Wedding (https://edityourwedding.com/)  which are similar to shoot it yourself but really quite cheap! Its better than nothing if you're still really thinking about it.  
  • annipooannipoo Posts: 214 New bride
    I've heard a lot of photographers that are just starting out will offer their services for free/cheap - videographers may well do the same. You could always stick an ad on gumtree and chance it! 
  • Take it from someone in their mid 50’s, you will regret not having a video of family and friends in years to come and I’ll tell you why.  I married for the first time 26 years ago and so many of my relatives and some friends have sadly passed away.  It’s very easy in your 20’s to say ‘don’t bother’, ‘it doesn’t matter’ or ‘it’s too expensive’ because you live in the moment more and you can’t imagine a time when your grandparents, parents, aunts and uncles will all be gone not to mention one or two of your closest friends.  Photographs are lovely but trust me, as the years go by, you will forget how your aunty’s raucous laugh sounded, grandad’s funny voices to make you laugh will fade, your best mate’s embarrassing drunken dancing will be fade from memory but if you can see and more importantly hear people’s voices, it’s priceless and worth every penny you have to scrape together.  Or get a friend to capture everyone.  Videos were just starting to be a thing when I got married years ago and I’m so glad I have everyone captured on film.  Not to be morbid at such an exciting time but you never know what’s around the corner.  I’m getting married again next year and a video was one of the first things we’ve booked x
  • britbirdbritbird Posts: 1,487 New bride
    I definitely recommend SIY.  We are having our honeymoon done by them as well.  If you want to check out our videos, then they are all here:  https://vimeo.com/user94362917  We love them, possibly even more than our photos!
    britbird said:
    I definitely recommend SIY.  We are having our honeymoon done by them as well.  If you want to check out our videos, then they are all here:  https://vimeo.com/user94362917  We love them, possibly even more than our photos!
    Do you mind if i ask what package you went for? We're toying with the idea but not sure what one would be most effective. 
  • The team over at Shoot it yourself are great and their cameras are way better than what you can shoot with your phone. The main thing is sound. OMG the sound!!!

We see it all the time at weddings, people at the back of the room filming the speeches on an iPhone. Great visuals but the microphones are only good for sound thats a max of 2 metres from the phone. A person speaking over the otherside of the room in a room full of noisy people, no way. The SIY package I believe gives you a decent mic on the camera. But, even at the back of the room the sound will be poor so make sure whoever is filming is up close.

We are one of those £2,000 videographers but whatever you spend, SIY should be the absolute minimum. If anyone is offering to film it for less than what they charge then you have to seriously question how they are doing it and what corners they have cut to get there.
    Chief user of crayons at the fabulous Minty Slippers Wedding Films
    britbird said:
    Do you mind if i ask what package you went for? We're toying with the idea but not sure what one would be most effective. 
    I am so sorry, I missed this!   We went with the top package but they often have sales, so we got a 25% off deal.  The sound wasn't bad on ours- it was when people were blocking that it didn't pick up stuff, and that was resolved by the camera person moving slightly. 
    britbird said:I am so sorry, I missed this!   We went with the top package but they often have sales, so we got a 25% off deal.  The sound wasn't bad on ours- it was when people were blocking that it didn't pick up stuff, and that was resolved by the camera person moving slightly. 
    That's fab thank you!! 
    britbird said:I am so sorry, I missed this!   We went with the top package but they often have sales, so we got a 25% off deal.  The sound wasn't bad on ours- it was when people were blocking that it didn't pick up stuff, and that was resolved by the camera person moving slightly. 
    That's fab thank you!! 
    No problem- if they don't have a sale on, and you can't wait then mention my name as I seem to recall they did a discount for referrals (I don't get anything from it!)