Entertainment on a budget?

Hi,

We don’t like bands and a DJ would be too expensive and over the top for our small wedding of 25-30 guests. Our venue is potentially a restaurant function room, so what kind of entertainment could we have there? 

One idea I had was a magician because a lot of people like magic, and kids would like some tricks too. Any other ideas?

• you could just set up little stations for people, like maybe a diy photobooth area where they can all use props for selfies? 

A magician would be good but i'd imagine with a small group like that everyone will just be mingling and chatting and not necessarily need much entertainment.  
  • I did think photo props would be good, if not slightly cheesy and seen everywhere nowadays, but a definite easy thing to get. I just keep seeing people having DJs, fireworks, etc. and wondering what to do once the meal is finished. It will be all eaten by around 6.30, then what? We are just doing an afternoon buffet instead of wedding breakfast and evening meal.
  • annipooannipoo Posts: 212 New bride
    Why not make up a playlist on Spotify so that people can dance if they want to but it saves you the expense of a DJ. 
  • Honestly, i dont think entertainment is as necessary as everyone thinks nowdays. I went to a wedding on saturday and after the meal they did have a band, but that was it. It was a big crowd of young 20's so dancing was very much their thing, but everyone else just milled around, had a catch up, chatted about the days events and the atmosphere was lovely, it didnt feel like anything was missing at all
  • I guess it will depend on the venue location. If we were allowed to have a firepit or chimenea outside, we could sit outside wrapped up in pashminas toasting marshmallows (never done this before but sounds so magical!😃). My partner isn’t into dancing and neither are our parents, some of the other guests have kids to look after, so I just want to make sure that no one will be sitting there after hours of catching up bored.
  • OmRumOmRum Posts: 893 New bride
    You could make some quizzes or advice sheets to leave around for people to do but don't feel you have to entertain people for the whole thing. Most people will just chat amongst themselves. A playlist is a good idea for some background sound. 
  • I plan to have advice cards of some kind for our guest book, it’ll be fun to read these cards on our first anniversary. I still want some entertainment because it’s not just a family gathering or a birthday meal. I have been so bored at weddings in the past, after a couple of hours of chatting with people I see quite often anyway (or who I don’t know well and have nothing in common with).
  • I've never been to a wedding with a magician but we did go to a new years eve dinner with a magician once.

He was absolutely brilliant, we still talk about how good it was now!
  • I have kept looking around and keep coming back to the magician idea. Looks fun and is likely to appeal to most guests. Out of curiousity, how much have you all paid for a band, DJ or other entertainment? Magicians are £250-400 for two hours.
  • Our DJ is £599 from 6:30-12am. 
    For what its worth my friend is a magician and in the Magic Circle, and he charges about £300 for two hours. 
  • MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,949 New bride
    Our DJ was £250 for 6.30pm until midnight.

We did advice card coasters and left them on the tables with pens and we only got 5 back.
  • That seems to be the going rate for magicians then. Struggling to figure out when the two hour hire would be best. If we have him entertain guests while we get photos taken, we will miss at least half of the magic and we like magic! If we wait till the meal, then people might just want to be left to eat in peace. After the meal? Leaves us entertainment-free for several hours. 

If our guests end up like yours MrsCToBee, then that’s a shame that we won’t have much in our guestbook. Why can’t people just go along with it!
  • MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,949 New bride
    That seems to be the going rate for magicians then. Struggling to figure out when the two hour hire would be best. If we have him entertain guests while we get photos taken, we will miss at least half of the magic and we like magic! If we wait till the meal, then people might just want to be left to eat in peace. After the meal? Leaves us entertainment-free for several hours. 

If our guests end up like yours MrsCToBee, then that’s a shame that we won’t have much in our guestbook. Why can’t people just go along with it!
    Yes, it was a shame, we only have about 4 messages in our guestbook too. I think it's because it was indoors and it was so hot most people stayed out in the courtyard garden - but we still have lots of lovely cards with personal messages so we are going to stick those in the guest book.