Charging back guests - Prices

Hi everyone hope you can help with a dilemma. We have booked exclusivity of our hotel venue for our destination wedding in Italy for 3 nights. The hotel is not cheap! We are trying to find a solution to charge guests and at an appropriate rate for each night, and even with discount we will charge guests 250 per night for a standard room and 350 a night for a suite. There are 30 rooms in total. Does that seem excessive for an wedding abroad? 

Secondly we we are trying to find a solution so we can give guests an option to select a room type and pay through our website but it does not have that functionality. Any suggestions on how best to collect money?

Please help!

• To me that's excessive, i would never pay that sorry 
  • Il be honest, I wouldn’t go to a wedding abroad where I’d have to pay a minimum of £750 for 3 days accommodation. I’m assuming this doesn’t take into account flights or food? 

I have  been abroad for weddings multiple times and have usually booked separate accommodation at a different hotel, but even those were I have stayed at the hotel where the bride and groom were getting married I have never paid £750 just for 3 nights.

I live comfortably and enjoy a bit of luxury when I go away, but even I think that’s excessive.

Have you discussed this with any of your guest? Do you think you have enough guest ( who would be willing to pay) to fill all the rooms ? If you do, could you put your account details on your website if private, or send this to guest directly ? You could always set up a separate account for guest to pay into. 
  • It most definitely sounds excessive for any wedding, abroad or not! Your guests could find a week-long full board holiday in some countries for that price, at a hotel of their choice in a country of their choice.

I have had to abandon the idea of booking an exclusive use hotel and then charging guests back £100pn for two nights at a weekend-long local UK wedding, after much polling on a different message board. You can’t make guests pay that much for accommodation of your choice, unless you know for a fact they are well-off and can afford such an expensive trip (with flights, food, outfit, gift on top).

The easiest way to collect money would be to give your bank details or PayPal email address to those who will be staying, it’s only 30 people.
  • Yeah thats way too much, we arent even paying that per night for our honeymoon! Unfortunatley you cant just pass on the high cost to your guests, if thats the venue you want you should be looking at what other local accommodation is and coming up with somethingm ore in line with the areas average cost.
  • MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,949 New bride
    Agree with CDA, that is exorbitant, we go on all inclusive holidays in nice hotels that don't cost that for a week, so there is just no way I'd pay that for a night in a hotel not of my choosing. We also live comfortably but £750 plus flights and transport costs for 3 days away  - no way. We holiday in Italy a lot and have never spent anything like that.
    If you want to get married in an expensive hotel with exclusive use then that is your cost to bear, not your guests. Unless you and all your family are from a very high socio-economic bracket I'd abandon that plan as it will cause all sorts of bad feeling, and people either won't attend or will come to the wedding but stay elsewhere, and you will then have to bear the cost anyway. 
    I'm also not sure how many people you are inviting, but bear in mind typically a large proportion of invitees decline destination weddings, so with 30 rooms you would presumably be expecting at least 60 odd guests to definitely attend. You would need to find out what proportion are willing to go to Italy and from there, what proportion are willing to pay those costs. I think it will end up being embarrassing all round as your guests will have to tell you they can't afford it or don't want to spend that sort of money. Some people will feel obligated to spend money they can't afford.

This is my huge bugbear with destination weddings - people rave about how much cheaper they are than weddings in the UK, but it's only because they have passed the much higher costs on to their guests.
  • annipooannipoo Posts: 214 New bride
    That's a ridiculous amount of money to expect people to pay. I've never been to a destination wedding but whenever I've been to a UK wedding that has necessitated staying in a hotel, I've looked at it as purely a bed for the night and went budget (e.g. Premier Inn) rather than a luxury stay!

As others have pointed out, your guests will have other costs such as flights, transport, meals, outfits, gifts, the hen/stag. Unless all of your friends and family are multimillionaires I don't think it's reasonable to expect anyone to pay out over a grand for the pleasure of attending your wedding. 
  • MrsThompson2020MrsThompson2020 Posts: 26 New bride
    edited September 2019
    In regards to payment, we are also having exclusive use of the hotel (in the UK though) and charging guests accordingly, the hotel is giving us a discount for the rooms at £115per night for two people bed and breakfast and everyone I've spoken to has been more than happy to pay that amount. On our invitations we are putting an extra note inside asking guests to let us know if they would like a room asap (first come first serve) and to kindly pay us by March to secure it. We will have nearly 30 rooms so keeping track of payments might be difficult so I'm going to provide the details for our separate wedding savings bank account instead of my current account so its easier to keep track of, and also to make sure when people pay that they put a reference of their names on the payment so i can keep track! I will also be providing details of other nearby hotels so my guests have the option. We only went for exclusive use knowing we could just about afford to pay for the rooms should people not pay or we can't fill them. Hope that helps :smile:
  • Hi everyone hope you can help with a dilemma. We have booked exclusivity of our hotel venue for our destination wedding in Italy for 3 nights. The hotel is not cheap! We are trying to find a solution to charge guests and at an appropriate rate for each night, and even with discount we will charge guests 250 per night for a standard room and 350 a night for a suite. There are 30 rooms in total. Does that seem excessive for an wedding abroad? 

Secondly we we are trying to find a solution so we can give guests an option to select a room type and pay through our website but it does not have that functionality. Any suggestions on how best to collect money?

Please help!

Hello there!

I am an English wedding planner in Italy, and although that may seem like quite a lot to many- it is fairly standard cost for a beautiful Italian venue that you have in exclusivity. It comes down to the age old supply/demand concept, and Italy is one off the most sought after places for destination weddings and most often the more luxurious ones too.

So in answer to your question, if you website doesn't offer a way to select and pay then I think the answer may be to run this manually. You can do this by working with your Rooming List in Excel (i.e. the list of rooms available, category and cost) and by setting up a PayPal for you wedding guests to pay into by a certain date. You would then email your guests with the room options and ask them to RSVP and pay.

The other option is to ask the venue to manage this, but giving guests the venue's email contact (or vice versa) and asking them to work with the rooming list/availability and take payment/card guarantee directly with the guests- however, this depends how efficient your venue is and whether you would prefer to be more in control.

Hope this helps,

Catherine Bradfield