Forum home Planning

Take care

greenoranges118greenoranges118 Posts: 16 New bride
edited 26 April in Planning
A question for all brides-to-be, those that are newly engaged and those that have had their weddings cancelled and had insurance.

Brides-to-be: As a result of how insurance companies are behaving, and rejecting claims as reported in the BBC today, are you worried about your wedding and are you scaling back your budget?

Cancelled wedding brides: Has anyone had a claim fulfilled and received your money back, or at least any word from the insurance company/underwriter to say you will get your money back?

I am VERY curious how this will impact the insurance company world and the wedding business. We have all accepted weddings require thousands of pounds to be dropped. This has been great for so many local businesses and bigger businesses capitalising on it. But if 

Oh my god in the course of writing this, I literally just got a call from the underwriter on a private number saying our claim is rejrected. I'm crying my eyes out, I'm a teacher and I'm meant to now doing a virtual lesson with a web cam. I can't believe this. I even bloody asked the insurance company if we would be cpvered for coronavirus and they said yes. 

Brides to be if you are reading htis, please please please take note and don't part with your money for the next few years. and if you can't wait, don't bother having a wedding that costs thousands of pounds. This is absolutely not worth i, i'm devastated. We've lost nearly £10k

• Ambam19Ambam19 Posts: 589 New bride
    Can you not just postpone rather than cancel? 
  • greenoranges118greenoranges118 Posts: 16 New bride
    edited 26 April
    Take care
  • CoffeeDogAddictCoffeeDogAddict Posts: 1,431 New bride
    For your first question - we had insurance with Wedinsure and were/are not covered for anything covid19 related.

I completely understand what you're saying for the rest of it, but I do struggle to think that absolutely nothing will change or reopen in the next 8-12 months. The economy is already suffering massively and the government can only do so much to provide aid. The furlough scheme only runs until July I think it is so beyond that people are going to have no choice but to open or file closures, which of course the government won't want. 

I'm not saying it will be "normal" again because I don't think it will be again, but there will have to be some middle ground for the sake of the economy. 

Back to the original point - wedding insurance seems like a total rip off now, seeing as it doesn't cover the main issues.
  • Samantha265Samantha265 Posts: 603 New bride
    I agree, its highly unlikely that things will continue as we currently are for 12 months. I'm sorry you've lost out but I think people can weigh the risks for themselves with regards booking a wedding next year and dont need further scaremongering on here. Everyone claims to know someone 'in the know' but its all just speculation. Mass gatherings may be banned for a long time, eg big music gigs and football matches, but its unlikely that weddings will banned for another year. Unfortunately the very basis of insurance is to take in more money in policies then is ever paid out, so while I appreciate its incredibly difficult- it just is what it is. In 10 years time you wont miss the money but you may be grateful that you didnt lose any loved ones.
    edited 26 April
    Take care

edited 26 April
    Take care
    Greenoranges118 I'm not sure what the purpose of these posts is? You are stating your opinion as if its fact, and I really wouldn't be looking to tabloids like Daily Mail and the Sun for any reliable info, nevermind posting it for others to see. Again, I'm sorry you got stung but I dont see that as justifying these posts.
    I completely second @Samantha265 . What you're saying is completely contradictory, and then just like you have some alternative agenda.
    You keep saying what if people didn't have weddings so there's no need for insurance, well nor every couple will buy it, its a personal choice for the couple. Some weddings are £300 and some are £300,000, that's the couples choice to make and there's no need or reason to shame anyone for whatever they decide, its their money to spend as they please.

Also, The Sun, The Daily Mail, all those god awful tabloid papers are just a sh*tstorm of lies. Anyone with even half an ounce of sense will base any decisions of what is ACTUALLY said by the government in the daily briefings. If we based anything off The Sun then hairdressers are opening in two weeks, but actually not for 6 months. Its a different story every day because they print whatever tripe they think will sell.

In terms of your own comments, i believe you think all weddings to be the same? The same size, same location, same costs, otherwise i'm not sure how you can so confidently say they will not be going ahead for 12 months. Some weddings may have 4 people, some may have 40, and some might be 30 minutes and a picnic or 3 days at a lodge! They are all completely different, and couples will base their decisions off of what is safest based on their circumstances and the ongoing situation and recommendations

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make but you're not doing it very well.

edited 26 April
    Take care
    edited 26 April
    Take care
    But nobody else has replied so ur basically just ranting away to yourself. If its making you feel better then fair enough but perhaps you could share your wisdom from 'someone senior in the home office' in a less public way? There are brides on here who have postponed to next year and your posts are doing nothing but encouraging fear.

This is a welcoming, positive and encouraging forum and not one of your posts has been any of these. 
    @greenoranges118 my issue is that no one here knows you, none of us know each other at all really, but with that comes a lack of substantiation. If my friends sister who works in the government called me up and said "look things are bleak don't book your wedding for the next 18 months" i would be able to weigh up that advice on how much i trust that person. We aren't able to do that with strangers on the internet, but it still plants that seed of fear that so easily spirals.

You are saying things that no one can assess the validity of, and on a forum where many of us have and will potentially have to deal with postponing our events. Its not remotely comforting or helpful to know that it may or may not be pointless to try and rebook for the next 12-18 months. Many of us are fully aware of how fluid the situation is and all we can do is make a decision based on the information we have at the time.

I'll use myself as a blunt example here, i had to postpone my wedding around 2-3 weeks before the day. It was the most stressful thing ever and as our insurance didn't cover any of it we had to rely on the kindness of our suppliers, and our main one (the venue) was really hard work about it. We were told it HAD to be in 2020, so we went with what we could in that time frame given, we had very little option. Its now incredibly stressful and unhelpful to see someone posting about how that's such a bad idea (especially when it cant actually be backed up or substantiated more than "my friend said") and i'm fully aware if its true i will be in exactly the same awful position just in 8 months time. It isn't helpful to anyone, we do not need to be reminded that its all going to pot right now, and that it may not actually get any better. For so many of us, that small shred of hope is all we have.

In terms of the insurance issues alone, its been a real rough one in the industry and it seems like it was a lucky dip when everything kicked off as to whether you would be covered or not. So e companies said yes, some said no, all had absolutely nothing to indicate either way prior to the global pandemic. It really sucks but there really is very little that can be done. If you individually were told you would be covered and you now aren't, i suggest you make a formal complaint and go to the FCA if need be.