Forum home Planning

Coronavirus Insurance / Venue Scam

carmack83carmack83 Posts: 17 New bride
Hi everyone 

at this point most insurers are not paying out. Yesterday I asked my insurer after speaking to my venue about not getting any of my money back even though the wedding is cancelled. My venue said speak to your insurer and my insurer said speak to my card provider or venue. Thing is the venue refuse card payments over £500 so cannot retrieve the larger sums. I’m at a point where I have had enough of the fact my venue can give me a crap date, still take my peak money and because it is a notifiable disease claim for loss of earnings for my original date loss. I’m now expected to have my summer outdoor wedding in November in their pokey indoor space... don’t think so. It’s time we stood up to this crap... anyone with me?? 

• CoffeeDogAddictCoffeeDogAddict Posts: 1,515 New bride
    I definitely feel your frustrations. We were told we could only postpone to 2020 so we went as late as we could and due to my fiance's work it had to be in school holidays, and our new date is £1050 cheaper and we aren't getting that back. Our insurance has advised they aren't paying out for anything covid19 related which is just insane, surely that's the point of insurance? 

We are now anticipating that we will need to postpone again and our venue will (currently - we've gone back on it) postpone if there's another government ban. This means we may be forced to pay full price for a wedding without main guests including my parents. It's a real rock and a hard place situation. I'm just more angry how it seems pot luck which insurers are paying out, there's no standard across the industry. We went with WedInsure because they were a specific wedding insurance company, and I read all their documents and the cover seemed the same as Debenhams and John Lewis, it's only now everything has been clarified and explained that JL have taken anymore customer friendly stance. 
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MrsE2be2020MrsE2be2020 Posts: 72 New bride
    Hi, I have just seen this article pop up on the BBC website. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52483453?intlink_from_url=&link_location=live-reporting-story
    It is not a definite answer but it is showing that their will be pressure and hopefully consequences for places like wedding venues  and they should not be able to just say 'go to your insurer' if your wedding has been cancelled.

I'm a September 2020 bride with no insurance (although seems like it wouldn't be worth the paper its written on!) and we are still praying that we might be able to go ahead but hope is fading fast. Luckily our venue are being amazing then compromise we will probably have to make if we do have to postpone is we wont be able to marry on a saturday as they are all gone for 2021.

Hopefully this is a little bit of light at the end of the tunnel for people who have had to cancel
  • carmack83carmack83 Posts: 17 New bride
    Hi, I have just seen this article pop up on the BBC website. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52483453?intlink_from_url=&link_location=live-reporting-story
    It is not a definite answer but it is showing that their will be pressure and hopefully consequences for places like wedding venues  and they should not be able to just say 'go to your insurer' if your wedding has been cancelled.

I'm a September 2020 bride with no insurance (although seems like it wouldn't be worth the paper its written on!) and we are still praying that we might be able to go ahead but hope is fading fast. Luckily our venue are being amazing then compromise we will probably have to make if we do have to postpone is we wont be able to marry on a saturday as they are all gone for 2021.

Hopefully this is a little bit of light at the end of the tunnel for people who have had to cancel
    That article is a great spot and thank you for sharing! I currently have my work legal team looking into things for me as well as contacting the media (Both Panorama and Martin Lewis from TV as well as a Which? journalist).  I will be writing to the Ombudsman this afternoon after writing to the Insurance Emporium also. 

I was never a spoiled brat and fought hard for what I have so it makes me stamp my feet a lot harder when people are trying to screw us over! I mean who is paying for the new invitations and personalised favours and gifts?! I have a pick n mix which will expire before too so a little annoying for the small things as well as the big! 

Thank you ladies for so far giving me some information as I think if enough of us shout here has to be a solution. The Government have rejected all petitions on this because they do not govern Insurers however they had no issue acting off the petitions for the small businesses to cause us this issue in the first place. 

The way I see it is this: My wedding is cancelled because the venue cancelled it because the government cancelled. Well they can bloody well pay for it can't they?! Isn't that the point of the government support to businesses?! 

Sorry I am a little passionate about this lol