Forum home Archived Pretty, petite brides

Help! Have I chosen the wrong style dress for petite size???

I have fallen in love with a sincerity dress, 3520 style but I am only 5ft 2. I'm a size 10 and reading all the reviews on what style to have it blatantly states petites should stay away from ball gown style skirts......I have looked through countless magazines but this is THE dress for me (I've already bought it!) if I were to wear 5 inch heels (high heels are not a problem for me, although I will probably kick them off later in the evening!) do you think I could get away with this style dress?? I am really starting to worry that I have picked the wrong style dress. The other worry is that the waist I think sits a bit lower so us more like a drop waisted skirt..... Again, I read petites shouldn't wear this style.....oh please can someone offer any advice??

[Modified by: shelli214 on 02 November 2009 20:29:56 ]

• Hi Shelli214

I'm 5ft 4, and I've got a big a-line dress - I'll be wearing 3inch heels (so with your 5inch heels it would make us about the same height!).

I picked my dress after trying it on - some of the others in this style looked ridiculous but you will soon know whether or not it looks ok on you when you've got it on.

I'd suggest finding a shop near you that has it in stock and giving it a try (or something similar!).

I don't think there's any hard and fast rule that says you shouldn't wear it - at the end of the day it's what you're comfortable in and if this dress makes you feel like a princess I say go for it!

Hope you get something sorted image

FlyingSquirrel

PS I tried on all sorts of tight dresses and t-length dresses and at the end of the day I didn't like any of them as much as I liked the big ones! xx
  • debzbowdebzbow Posts: 115
    Quoted:
    I have fallen in love with a sincerity dress, 3520 style but I am only 5ft 2. I'm a size 10 and reading all the reviews on what style to have it blatantly states petites should stay away from ball gown style skirts......I have looked through countless magazines but this is THE dress for me (I've already bought it!) if I were to wear 5 inch heels (high heels are not a problem for me, although I will probably kick them off later in the evening!) do you think I could get away with this style dress?? I am really starting to worry that I have picked the wrong style dress. The other worry is that the waist I think sits a bit lower so us more like a drop waisted skirt..... Again, I read petites shouldn't wear this style.....oh please can someone offer any advice??

[Modified by: shelli214 on 02 November 2009 20:29:56 ]

You say you've bought it but have you tried it on. If you have and you love the dress ignore everything you've read. As long as your happy who cares what some magazine says x
  • Thanks guys, I have tried the dress on a coiplevogvtimes before I bought it, I think with 5 inch heels i'll be ok although pictures will look a bit strange as I am so short standing next to my guy.

Thanks again everyone, you've really helped me loads!

Best wishes for your wedding day!

Shelli
  • Thanks guys, I have tried the dress on a few times before I bought it, and each time I put it on it feels the one & I feel like a princess, he he he. I think with 5 inch heels i'll be ok although pictures will look a bit strange as I am so short standing next to my guy.

Thanks again everyone, you've really helped me loads!

Best wishes for your wedding day! I'm soooo excited

Shelli xxxxx

[Modified by: shelli214 on November 05, 2009 12:16 PM]

• leokatyleokaty Posts: 526
    I am 5 2" also and dreamed of wearing a big dress, when I started looking at dresses I thought I would have to go for something fitted as was worried that big dresses would swamp me.

However, when I started trying on I found that fitted dresses made me look shorter, not taller as I thought. Bigger dresses suited me, but not ones where the corset looked seperate to the skirt as this cut my body in two instead of elongating it. I also think that it is down to your body shape. Even though I am small, I am quite busty, have a narrow waist and wide square shoulders so it balances out a bigger skirt.

My advice is that if you do choose a big dress, make sure the corseted part doesnt finish at your waist but extends over your tummy and the top of your hips and finishes in a v below your belly button. Go and try on and see what suits you, its all part of the fun of being a bride.

Hope I make sense.

Anyway this is me in my dress, looking (I hope) bigger than my 5 2" frame.

• Hi Princessrdh..... Your dress is stunning!! You look fabulous! Thanks so much for the advice. The corset on my dress does finish just on my hips & goes into a V just below belly button, I was worried it made my top half look too long but I am wearing the belt that goes with the dress, which us in Ivory and that finishes off the dress well. It seems to make the fit mire all in proportion. It's the only dress I gave seen which I love and my future sister in law has seen it and said she couldn't see me in anything else. I think with the 5 inch heels I should be able to carry it off given the extra but of height will give me some more length to keep on my skirt so hopefully all will look in proportion.

Thanks again for your thoughts & advice,

Love your dress, you look fab! Xxx
  • leokatyleokaty Posts: 526
    Ahh thankyou. I love my dress, I am glad you love yours.

I think with dresses and body shapes and heights there are no rules, as you know what suits and what looks good, and if you feel amazing in it then its the rights dress for you.

I love your dress, its so pretty and the material looks so delicate. Just make sure you get your piccie of you in your dress posted on here. Me and I'm sure many others would love to see it.