Is anyone having their reception in a country barn?

kvjoneskvjones Posts: 178
If so, just wondered what ideas you had to tie in the country/rustic theme?

• esskevanesskevan Posts: 1,033
    Hi,

Our reception is being held at Packington Moor Farm in one of the coverted Oat Barns (very beautiful). The farm itself is used to rear pigs and is well known in the area. I was thinking of naming the tables after different types of pigs, as I love pigs too, and we are having a apit roast or bar-b-q in the evening. Also thinking of having english roses in the floral decorations to tie in with the country garden theme - there is a lso a rose garden at the venue. HOpe this gives you a couple of ideas.

• mrshtobemrshtobe Posts: 103
    we are having ours in a barn - i think - and having a barn dance! not v orig but should be fun!
  • I want a barn - but in South Africa! Any suggestions welcome!
  • I want a barn - but in South Africa! Any suggestions welcome!
  • lisa-jtlisa-jt Posts: 399
    I would love to have it in a barn living on a farm we have a really posh/un-used barn which has a very important place in the village it was burnt down years ago and was only reasently re-built. But it cannot be held there as you are un-abvle to hold function late at nite due to disturbunce!! blooming villagers!!!

But if i was to have it in a barn i would have gone really grand on flower pieces to fill the room and candles. I would keep the food really old fashioned and would of asked guests to dress summer fate-ish!!

Maybe even hire a buckin bronko would be a fun rememberance of the day!! When that annoyin mates girlfriend goes on turn the speed up!! (sorry!!!)

Are you plaanin a barn or is it just a basic question?x
  • A friend of ours did, they had a hog roast which apparently went down very well. Yummy!! Then I think they had a barn dance rather than a disco. (Id didn't actually go, but my parents did)Corinna x
  • kvjoneskvjones Posts: 178
    Lisa-t-o - Yes we're having our reception in a barn. We're also having a hog roast to keep with the theme.
  • Happyg22Happyg22 Posts: 872
    Hi Kellie

We are having ours in converted stables - not the same as a barn - but along the same lines

Heres a link to ours - http://www.kirknewtonestate.co.uk/gallery.htm

Just having cadles and country flowers - also having hydrangeas shaped like trees for the table centres. Thinking of having a bouncy castle , candy floss stall and giant garden games

We are also having rock as our favours and making bunting ( flags) to go round the beams.

Leah x
  • Our wedding is in a barn. I haven't really thought about a theme as such, just having some country gardenish flowers and maybe some bunting in the garden. I need inspiration too!!

I do like the whole vintagey shabby chic vibe but I don't have time to scour car boots for odd saucers and cups to put flowers etc in!!
  • Hi we are having our wedding at Sandhole oak barn which over looks the lake.

We are having a black and cream colour scheme and wild flowers as the table pieces. On the veranda we are having tealights for when it gets darker and we have hired a vintage bus to collect the guests to tie in with the whole theme.
  • mellenukmellenuk Posts: 576
    We're having both ceremony and reception at the Curradine Barns, but are not going with the whole country theme. In fact we're just using it as an unusual venue; a blank canvas where we can let our imagination run wild!

I went to a barn wedding a few years ago where they had a barn dance, and hog roast. The food went down a treat, but no-one got up and danced!
    mellen - I think we'll stick with the good old DJ for music!
  • MoominmummyMoominmummy Posts: 1,621
    Sounds like my plans are pretty much the same as the other barn brides!!! We are having bunting, which my mum has made in pretty fabrics with our names on. Loads of country flowers, such as sweet peas and peonies, wound around the beams and on the tables in teapots & cups & saucers. We're also doing the hog roast and an afternoon tea in the evening so lots of mismatched cake stands too and having the barn dance but we're having a dj too in case people don't dance!!!

Sorry its not really anything anyone hasn't already said!
  • Yep - I'm having a barn wedding too! We are getting married in December (the 15th), so we are going for a semi-xmas theme (maybe!) We chose the barn not so much to stick to a barn theme, but because we want to keep the day relaxed and semi-informal. I'm not sure why, but our venue seems to offer the potential for that. However, we are going for the hog roast and are contemplating a barn dance for the evening. We will be using lots of candles and tea-lights and are having a big, fat xmas tree. We also plan to use a blackboard and chalk for our tableplan - carefully done of course! Seems kind of rustic...!
  • ravenukravenuk Posts: 124
    Hi

We're having our reception in a barn. It's an old medievel one in a village nearby, no fancy facilities so will be a bit basic! We're going to have our ceremony under a tree in a field nearby and then all walk to the barn where - if the weather is nice! - we're going to have blankets on the grass out the back and have scones and jam for snacks before we have some food a bit later. Yum yum!

I'm trying to find some fairy lights to string round the beams and outside in the trees for night time at the moment as well.

For music we've rounded up some mates who play in various bands and persuaded them all to play for a bit. So hopefully it all be relaxed and fun, I'm not good with anything too serious!

• We're having our wedding and our reception in a beautiful barn in Hampshire. It has a lovely garden area, so when they're changing the room layout from wedding to reception (assuming the weather is nice) we're going to move into the garden.

I'm also trying to get ideas, I was thinking of having some summer country style fete kind of ideas, maybe croquet, old fashioned ice cream van etc... I even had one bizarre idea that I'm really not sure about, but it might be fun (might be weird - let me know what you think), but Morris Dancers?! I don't know. In the even a band might be more in keeping than a disco, kind of a barn dance?

Inside the barn though I intend to have lots of beautiful natural country flowers (maybe even a kind of wildflower look?) Loving ideas so far - keep 'em coming please!

• Quoted:
    Hi,

Our reception is being held at Packington Moor Farm in one of the coverted Oat Barns (very beautiful). The farm itself is used to rear pigs and is well known in the area. I was thinking of naming the tables after different types of pigs, as I love pigs too, and we are having a apit roast or bar-b-q in the evening. Also thinking of having english roses in the floral decorations to tie in with the country garden theme - there is a lso a rose garden at the venue. HOpe this gives you a couple of ideas.

x

Hi I am getting married here too in July! It is really pretty but have no idea about themes!! I have loads of questions about organising the day but we haven't been able to go and speak to them yet as the owners have been away! image
    Went for a visit at the barn last weekend and got some more ideas. The barn has little slits for windows all around it so am going to find some votive candles to place in them for a romantic look!
  • vjones276vjones276 Posts: 125
    Hi All,

One of our potential reception places is a barn in Suffolk, which I'm really keen on.

I was thinking of a country fete theme with bunting and flower garlands strewn around, jam jars and pitchers filled with flowers, and mini blackboards on the tables instead of menus. We're looking at having jugs of real ale and Pimms as people arrive at the reception, then a hog roast for the meal. Think we'll stick with a DJ in the evening, but I am pushing for some Morris Dancers, something the future Mr Vic1 isn't too keen on!

Could be interesting as we have a real mix of guests coming from Africa, india, the US and Europe...

Vx