reception drinks

We are getting married at a big manor house and the staff serve drinks to the visitors when they arrive at the gates.

But i dont want to have boring champaign or wine (neither of our families are big wine drinkers & have encouraged us not to waste our money suplying wine, there will be a pay bar)

We want to supply them with there drink when they arrive though.

anybody got any ideas??

hope i havnt rambled...lol

• we are going for a hot pink and lime green theme, our weddings in the summer. So we will be serving cocktails when people arrive. They will look bright and can have a softdrink cocktail for any kids etcimage
  • leighh5leighh5 Posts: 1,439
    when are you getting married? in winter how about a hot chocolate (maybe with a shot to jazz it up) or cocktails are great.

What kind of drinks do youz like? we can help you concoct a speciality!!!x
  • linch2blinch2b Posts: 247
    PIMMS!!!!! - Its great - If its a summer wedding pimms works really well and you can adjust the strength depending on how sozzled or not you want everyone! It also looks special with all the fruit etc.For a winter wedding hot winter pimms no(3) with apple juice is lovely! we are having normal pimms for our summer reception!

Let us know what you decide!

Lx
  • kaz2016kaz2016 Posts: 240
    Ha i love the hot chocolate idea although the weddings in May!
  • We're thinking about having Perry (pear cider) served in Champagne flutes, more people like it!!
  • we're having kir royale (cava mixed with creme de cassis) H2B and i had it with our lunch on Christmas Day and it was lovely, if we werent having that we would've gone with the trutsy old favourite at most weddings - Bucks Fizz
  • anng91anng91 Posts: 2,130
    I saw in a magazine yesterday a recipe for fruit fizz. Basically you cook some fruit with sugar (not too sure of the recipe off the top of my head) and then let it cool down. You could then add this to bubbly.
  • We really wanted to go for a free flow drinks package but it is working out far too much and I dont think our guests with get value for money! Its champagne on arrival and then white and red wine with meal and then champagne again for the toast. I love Asti more than champagne. Im thinking just one drink on arrival and one glass of wine with the meal. Does eveyone think that is enough? x
  • aimee21jaimee21j Posts: 317
    I would go with two glasses of wine with the meal twinkle84. Also have jugs of water out on the tables.
  • I work at a lot of weddings, sometimes we do Cosmos and Apple Martinis on arrival, they go down pretty well!!!!
  • leighh5leighh5 Posts: 1,439
    we are having 2 bottles red and 2 bottles white on tables of 10!! for toasts think having cocktails, we dont like champagne either and not many people in family do either!!!
  • mrshelen74mrshelen74 Posts: 9,282
    buck fizz we had
  • I'm having sparkling wine but with an edible hibiscus in the bottom. It looks really pretty i think.

www.realindulgence.com

• I agree, i love the idea of having the edible hibiscus in the glasses. Im really considering it. What do people think?? would you think it weird if your drink had one of these in?
  • Not read all replies

how about sangria , baileys , hot chocolate , simple coffe ?
  • We are having champagne, cosmopolitans and bottles of beer so most people will like one of the options!

Nikki
  • LauriukLauriuk Posts: 463
    bucks fiz is a good idea

• supertabbysupertabby Posts: 1,125 New bride
    The ideas above all sound really good.

What about iced tea, as it's summer - or even just normal tea in vintage tea cups?
  • I was going to go with good old bucks fizz as arrival drinks but i do love the idea of cocktails image going with pink champagne 4 the toasts but still unsure what to do about drinks with the meal. Is it unfair on the ppl who dont like wine to only put wine on the tables??

sorry, that didnt answer the original post at all did it, oops!!
  • ooh! we're having bellinis for our arrival drink, champagne with peach juice/liqueur. You can also cut on costs by using sparkling wine with this instead of champagne. It's classy, but fruity and sweeter for those who wouldn't normally drink champagne.

Still considering the hibiscus flowers, have heard good and bad reports about these on here. I have a jar at home, so will try them and let you know how I get on.

We are also having pina coladas on offer for a nice summer cocktail. Red and white wine on the table and pink and white champagne for the toast

xx