Ideas for WELSH Theme reception ? Please help!

SianESianE Posts: 240
Hi,

I'd like to have a subtle Welsh theme for our Reception as were getting married in a barn in Snowdonia.

My mum has suggested little welsh cakes as favours but i think these will be too expensive, does anyone know?

Also, what else could we do?

I don't really want to go down the Celtic route as this is a bit obvious and i think a different theme in itself.

Also, I want to stay away from anything that is used for the rugby as i still want it to be classy and stylish. (god im fussy!)

If anyone has any ideas, I'd really appreciate hearing them,

ps- my bridesmaid desses are purple, so cant go down the red, green and white theme either!

Thanks,

• Hurrah! I'm a welsh girl - LOVE the idea, it will be amazing!

Welsh cakes actually aren't that expensive - even cheaper if you can bake them yourselves - they freeze really well so you can do this in advance!

How about using daffodills? yellow looks really dramatic with purple, it could be beautiful! And you could make amazing daffodill centrepeices - when are you getting married? Daffs are soooo cheap in the springtime!

How about love spoons as favours? This website has some gorgeous ones - and not too expensive!

http://www.idoweddingfavours.co.uk/decorated_spoons.htm

You could also use welsh names for your tables - how about snowdonia landmarks - then you couls have a picture of that place on the table too!

You could use welsh music in the ceremony if you wanted as well - you could find a local welsh singer to sing whilst you sign the register or something - so its subtle and not too over the top!

Oh, I'm soooo excited for you!! Wish I could come hehehehe image xxxx
  • welshhelenawelshhelena Posts: 418
    So many great things for a Welsh theme reception! I'm not called Welshhelena for nothing lol

I would ask the venue if they know of a local bakers that would do welshcakes for you, they don;t necessarily have to be expensive as they are simple.

Of course there is the option of the Welsh flag being everyhwere, but there lots of other Welsh emblems too, such as the harp, spinning wheels, daffodils, (a small, artificial daff would look stunning against purple?) Marie Curie Cancer Trust currently have Daffs for their appeal, you could get one for every guest, really great Welsh touch and also donating to charity too rather than just paying for a keepsake.

Also, a FAB Welsh tradition is the lovespoon - its given traditionally by the man when courting but there are also some fab ones to give on the wedding day. Check these out:

http://www.cadwyngifts.com/unique-wedding-gifts-c-65_75.html

Not necessarily as favours but beautiful as part of centrepieces, presented by the groom to bride or vice versa and don't forget to hang it on your hotel door! There are mini ones/keyrings you can buy too, lots of different carvings with different meanings and one that means love or marriage could be given?

Will have a think about more ideas.....x

• welshhelenawelshhelena Posts: 418
    haha cheeryhannah we said almost the same things! Great Welsh minds think alikeimage

Another great Welsh thing is Welsh heather - purple like your dresses! Gourmet honey is made from the area and would make a different keepsake.

LOVE the idea of naming tables with Welsh landmarks/place names, Anglesey harbour, Conwy Castle and Caernarfon spring to mind...

You could also look into having a Welsh cheese 'cake' - threads about cheese stack cakes all over the forums...

• The cheese stack thingy would be ace - there are some AMAZING welsh cheeses out there.

I absolutely LOVE the Welsh lamb that has been raised on salt marshes. Although not sure how you'd incorporate this unless you have it on your menu....

The Marie Curie daffodil pins are really pretty - they'd make good favours.

And love spoons are gorgeous.

BTW - I'm not Welsh! image
  • jodaho88jodaho88 Posts: 2,356
    Are leeks not associated with Wales? (sorry if this is totally wrong...)

You could go with Leek and Potato soup as a starter?
  • arpopearpope Posts: 221
    Oooh and cawl for one of your courses, with hunks of fresh bread and Caerphilly cheese! Bara brith bread and butter pudding for dessert!!

If you're going for a rustic feel, you could also get some gorgeous, thick Welsh woollen blankets (maybe in a Welsh tartan pattern - bound to be a purple-based one!) and have a relaxation area for the evening...snuggly!
  • Stella1982Stella1982 Posts: 528
    Quoted:
    Hurrah! I'm a welsh girl - LOVE the idea, it will be amazing!

Welsh cakes actually aren't that expensive - even cheaper if you can bake them yourselves - they freeze really well so you can do this in advance!

How about using daffodills? yellow looks really dramatic with purple, it could be beautiful! And you could make amazing daffodill centrepeices - when are you getting married? Daffs are soooo cheap in the springtime!

How about love spoons as favours? This website has some gorgeous ones - and not too expensive!

http://www.idoweddingfavours.co.uk/decorated_spoons.htm

You could also use welsh names for your tables - how about snowdonia landmarks - then you couls have a picture of that place on the table too!

You could use welsh music in the ceremony if you wanted as well - you could find a local welsh singer to sing whilst you sign the register or something - so its subtle and not too over the top!

Oh, I'm soooo excited for you!! Wish I could come hehehehe image xxxx

I have bought the miniature love spoons for my wedding favours and they are gorgeous and a bargain at only £1 each. I have attached them to bombaneers and they look lovely:\)
  • Hi,

I'm not welsh but h2b is and the wedding is in wales so we are having elements of wales, pakistan (where i grew up) and austria (where we met, got together, lived etc). Anyway i'm thinking of having the love spoon idea tied with ribbon to pakistani glass bangles for the girls and i'm making welsh cakes for the boys.

The food will be mostly welsh as we want to keep as much of that local as possible. I'm going to try to get chocolates from pembertons as they are lush, www.welshchocolatefarm.com

the other welsh touches will be in the music, thinking about a harpist while we have drinks/canapes. Our first dance is probably a Jack Johnson number but h2b has requested that the second song is Dakkota by the stereophonics.

all subtle I think so that we don't end up with too many culture clashes in our themes!
  • p.s. thank you cheeryhannah for the love spoon site, they are much cheaper than any i had found so far. i have noted it in my little book of wedding ideas! x
  • MrsTeach2BMrsTeach2B Posts: 1,306
    Hello, my OH is welsh so we've got several welsh touches through the day:

- welsh male voice choir

- singing Cwm Rhondda in the church

- having welsh cakes as wedding favours - I'm making them and freezing them as suggested above

- we're having wedding cake made of cheese and choosing welsh cheeses - there's lots of yummy ones.

If it's an option at your venue, you could have a welsh menu, including welsh lamb, bara brith, leek & potato soup etc.
  • arpopearpope Posts: 221
    MrsTeach2B, we want to make welsh cake favours too - do you know how long they will keep in the freezer yet? Thanks x
  • becs14ukbecs14uk Posts: 8
    Hello,

I'm also welsh and including lots of little touches too. We are naming all our tables after welsh moutains.

Our Favours are minature lovespoons from www.idoweddingfavours.co.uk they are really helpful and do them to your colours as well.

I have also got gifts for the ushers like these minature welsh engraved pens and bookmarks.

There is quite alot you can do when you get going and think more about it. Exciting
  • cathfachcathfach Posts: 160
    Hi there

I'm getting married 6 weeks today agghh!

We are getting married in chapel and having Calon Lan as one of the hymns, and also having traditional male voice choir, as well as bilingual readings. We've hired a harpist for the reception. She's amazing. She will be playing and singing during the meal too, and we have picked some traditional Welsh songs for people to sing along to.

Welsh cakes and lovespoons spring to mind. You can make welshcakes easily. As for lovespoon favours, if you look in local market stalls, I have seen nice little ones for £1 each (avoid special lovespoon shops, though- I've seen the same there for £4 each).

You could also have table names instead of numbers, and call them after Welsh legends or princes?

Good luck!

• Hi H2b is Welsh and we are having cookies made in the shape of lovespoons to serve at the drinks reception after the ceremony, we want a harpist too!! Having leek and potato soup and welsh lamb as the meal, and having a billingual ceremony too, how exciting. Emor is your harpist in wales, could you send me the details and prices etc if thats not too cheeky. Thanks

• nzecevicnzecevic Posts: 1,206
    Emor who is your harpist? Im getting married in wales and trying to find one x
  • RahelukRaheluk Posts: 12
    My H2B and I are having Welsh cakes as favours. Here's a link to the company that's making them http://www.fabulouswelshcakes.co.uk/
  • vocalshowvocalshow Posts: 95
    Hi There,

A little random but you may want to try this website: http://welshbride.co.uk.

I have used it over recent years for advertising. It's primarily an adavertisers directory but you may get some ideas from here.

I hope this helps image

Luca

Wedding Singer

http://www.vocalshow.co.uk & As advertised on Y&YW
  • SianESianE Posts: 240
    Hi,

Thanks for all your suggestions.

I love the idea of Welsh cakes as favours and have received a quote from the Fabulous Welsh Cakes in cardiff which seems good. Hopefully go with this. We're having a Male Voice Choir singing some classics. Still trying to fit a few more ideas in there but I think they will come now =thanks to all of you!!

Any new suggestions are still welcome.

I can't wait!!
  • cathfachcathfach Posts: 160
    For those of who who asked, my harpist is -Bethan Myfanwy Hughes from Llanharan. Lovely girl- she is very good, and she can also sing beautifully. I would thouroughly recommend her.

• gmndrgmndr Posts: 65
    HAD A QUOTE FROM JENKINS BAKERY FOR 200 HEART SHAPED WELSH CAKES - £70.

THIS WAS JUST NORMAL PRICE, SURE THEY COULD BE KNOCKED DOWN A BIT FOR A BULK ORDER LIKE THIS - VERY NICE TOO.
  • betibeti Posts: 1

My sister made welsh cakes in heart shapes.

I make little welsh ladies which could be named welsh names for the tables or could be given as wedding favours for bridesmaids , older aunts, grandmothers etc..email me on [email protected]