Getting Married at 4pm.......

OK we have booked our venue (Mere Court in Knutsford) and got the date we want - a week before Christmas 2010..however I have just phoned the registrar and they can only do 4pm, which isnt too bad as we wanted 3pm but I am worried now that we are not going to have time for the wedding breakfast/photographs and spending time with our guests before the day is over! Does anyone know roughly how long the civil ceremoney lasts and the wedding breakfast....do you think we will have time for everything? Thanks alot.....

• lins842lins842 Posts: 2,038
    civil ceremony without any readings or faffing about only lasts about 20 mins

but at 4pm in December it will already be dark
  • hsavoryhsavory Posts: 1,971
    As the ceremony and reception will be in the same place so you won't have to lose any time with travelling, I think it'll be fine. I love love love the idea of a winter wedding a little bit later in the day - very cosy and romantic. Plus as it'll already be pretty dark so you won't have to worry about the possibility of grey december weather! It'll be fab.
  • XWendyXukXWendyXuk Posts: 754
    Im glad you think it will be OK, we are going to have alot of candle light and all our photographs are going to be taken inside, as we have been to so many summer weddings and it has rained all day! We are thinking of having our evening reception from 8pm, so you sure we will have enough time, I dont usually panic but just want to make sure everything right! Also are going to book a charecturist for a few hours, what time do you think we should get him for? For our 3pm wedding we were looking at 6-9pm, so do you now think 7-10? Thanks alot xx
  • JAX1145JAX1145 Posts: 1,742
    Although we married at 2pm and it was a civil one and everything was at the same venue... we had one reading and loads of pics taken and sat down to our wedding breakfast at 4.30 and that finished by 7pm...

mind you we were starving by then....

have a fab day it sounds lovely!
    Thanks Mrs Styles, I am hoping to have wedding breakfast done and dusted by 7pm....you think that is possible? x
  • hsavoryhsavory Posts: 1,971
    Well, obviously go through it with all your suppliers, but I'd say if you have the wedding at 4, finish by 4:30, photos and champagne and mingling with guests for 45 mins, then hour and a half for wedding breakfast takes you to 6:45 - say 7:15 to allow some contingency for lateness or things over-running - that's still plenty of time before the evening do starts at 8. So yeh...I reckon 7-10 for the characaturist would be just fine.

Hope it all works out for you! Love the idea of lots of candles...I wanted a wedding with lots of lovely candlelight but we're getting married in August so it won't really get dark early enough. Booo!
    Thanks Littleredhead....when you put it like that is sounds like it would work...I am just flapping!! We can always put the evening reception back to 8.30 if need be but will sort it out with the hotel!! Thanks for all your help...you have all been great xx
  • Hi

I'm getting married at 5pm in Nov 2010, the ceremony should last no more than 30 mins, then we are having drinks and canapes then starting the evening reception straight away. We are just having one big hot buffet serving around 7.30pm so people wont be hungry from the ceremony!

As its late and it will be dark we will be having pics inside, venue have a nice fire and surround which will be nice and cosy to get some done there.

• INEZ612INEZ612 Posts: 1,154
    Im swaying about getting married at 4 in Nov, might change it to 3. I'm thinking about the lack of light for nice pictures and having to use flash a lot, this is also making me think about the sheen of the fabric on my dress.

So I'm having my photographer come to take lots of pre wedding shots of me and BMs, so fingers crossed about the light on the day.

Otherwise, misschatty, we are going along the same lines as you, wedding, drinks, big party, dont want to waste time sitting eating, dont want any formality,
    Hi Inez and Miss Chatty....

We have booked the venue, do you think they would be OK if we ask for just one big buffet rather than the whole sit down thing...that sounds like such a better idea..... Thanks x
  • Hi Inez and XWendyX

I'm so pleased that you are having similiar ideas to me, like you Inez I just want everyone to have a good time and not worry about hours on end hanging around!

I was worried about it being dark as the time of year but just going to play that by ear, the hotel has a lovely fire place and when we booked it in Feb it was all nicely lit and the lighting around it was very subtle so might get a few pics near there.

A friend of mine had a guy at her sons holy communion who was there for hours and took loads of pics of the day and for £40 she could get them all on a disc! You could get keyring pics as a guest and quite good size pics in a frame for £5. I got one done of my two little boys and it was lovely. Thinking of asking him to come around 7pm and take lots of pics of everyone (hopefully) enjoying themselves instead of putting cameras on the tables.....wat do you think???
    Hi Miss Chatty, I like the idea of having camera's on the tables, but I will have to remember to get someone to collect them all up! Its good as well as those are the things we can buy in advance and keep them so it doesnt seem that we are shelling out alot of money in one go!! but then again it makes you wonder what you will end up with so getting someone in might be a better getting someone in instead!!

I just hope the photographer can take all our pics in the time we give him, cos I dont want everyone hanging around!!

Whats the date of your wedding?

Wend xx

[Modified by: XWendyX on July 30, 2009 09:32 PM]

• Hi XWendyX

I know what you mean, I wanted to have cameras but when when I saw this guy I thought he seemed ok, he was really good with my boys aged 4 and 2, as you can imaging trying to get them together and keep still was a bit of nightmare but he took a few and then took them outside to a nice area and took some more and I got to choose the best out the the bunch haha!!!

Up to now I don't know if we are having a photographer as only have a small budget for the wedding, H2b has a friend in work who does photography in his spare time and has worked with H2b on his music, suggested to h2b about asking him to come for few hours, we'll pay but hoping he might be a bit cheaper haha!!!

6th Nov 2010 date, when's yours?
    Hi Miss Chatty

We are getting married on the 18th December 2010, we have only booked the venue and the registrar so far (oh and a charecturist but that is our little surprise!) I have had a look at photographers and they are all so expensive tho, just hope I can find someone who is reasonably priced!!

Your boys going to be page boys then? What colours schemes have you gone for in relation to the mens suits?

Wend xx
  • Hi Wend (Hope you don't mind)

Date near mine....lovely!!!

Would you believe we have only booked the venue and I have paid a deposit on my dress. Provisionally booked registrar but need to secure that with deposit, must do that sooner rather than later!!!!

Cause my boys are typical boys was thinking of just getting them the waist coat and cravats to match their dads, he said he's not fused on wat colour I choose but funny enought everytime i suggest a colour he pulls a face haha!!! I defo going for silver as I love anything sparkly, was thinking of lilac to go with it but as its Nov don't know if thats more of a summery colour, also though of a nice sage green with the silver could be nice, what you think?

What colour are you having?

I have put a link to my dress for you to look if you want to, hope you like it

http://www.morilee.com/DressDetail.aspx?C=1&D=2320&P=1

Lynz

Hi Lynz

of course I dont mind image

Our colour scheme is red, white and black (my H2B HUGE Man Utd fan) so that was his only request...which I can live with!

Your dress is gorgeous..I feel really behind as I havent even looked at a dress or anything yet, was thinking that maybe I would have a look after Christmas but I am not sure how long they take to arrive? how long is yours taking or are they just ordering it in for when you need it?

Also I am a little worried about just going in the dress shops, do you need to make an appointment...i am rubbish and feel like I know nothing! I will be asking you questions all the time!!

Wend xx

[Modified by: XWendyX on July 30, 2009 10:15 PM]

• xxMrsTxxxxMrsTxx Posts: 467
    hi, i got married at 4pm last month and it was fab image

Mrs T xox
    Quoted:
    hi, i got married at 4pm last month and it was fab image

Mrs T xox

Hi Mrs T

I know it is a bit sad...but could you run through your timings with me, I have no idea how long things should last!!

Wend x
  • SZJSZJ Posts: 23
    I am also planning to get married at 4pm. The wedding is in May next year. Doing a similar thing as MissChatty - drinks and canapes followed by hot buffet at around 7pm. The ceremony and venue are in different places - but there only a 5-10 minute walk away.

Partof the reason for us going for a 4pm wedding is that it means most of our guests will be able to travel down to London that day if they want. Any earlier would mean another overnight stay - if this is the same for your guests, they may appreciate not having to pay for two nights accommodation!
    Glad to hear you agree miss chatty!

The planner at our venue was really cool with us having our day how we want it, you should go speak to them wendy, all the best image x
  • xxMrsTxxxxMrsTxx Posts: 467
    well our ceremony started just after 4pm, even though i was ready way before people were slow sitting down lol. (all in the same venue so i just had to walk downstairs).

we finished roughly about 20 past, spent about 5 mins doing the signing the register pics etc.

walked out of there.

spent about 10 mins with people congratulating us.

about an hour plus of pics, my dad is photographer and so am i so we were quite picky about them lol image

about quarter to six we had afternoon tea which lasted about an hour. on our invitations it said for evening guests to be there by 7 but most didnt arive until way past this, about 7.40 when everyone was finally there.

we did things a bit topsy turvy from then on because of the layout of our venue, and the face that our cake was in the main room not the reception room.

we cut the cake, then were seated for speeches, then first dance, then food, then more dancing.

cake cutting and pics take about 10 mins, speeches (get rough timings, add more time for the laughter pauses and clapping etc.)

our food was served about 8.40

the whole days timings were behind from what we'd planned though because it can be really difficult to find people for pics or get them seated when they want to get a drink or go out to smoke image

hope that helps a bit, sorry its a bit long lol

Mrs T xox
    No thats really helpful Mrs Thomas, its hard to imagine how things are going to go when you want to do things a wee bit differently x
  • hoolaloolahoolaloola Posts: 475
    We have booked the registrar for 4pm more as a cost cutting measure than anything else. Because it's a bit later in the day it means

1. I have more to time to decorate the venue and

2. We don't need to have the sit down meal that people will no doubt expect from an earlier wedding which as a bonus (for the people doing them at lest!) means we're not having speeches.

Our rough timings are ceremony till 4:30 champagne and canapes till about 5pm photos (will overlap with drinks reception so everyones not hanging around) till 5:30 buffet comes out around 5:45 cutting the cake about 6:30 (and some quick thankyous and giving out gifts) first dance about 7pm. To make sure people don't get too drunk we're having some sandwiches and nibbles brought out about 11pm.

These are all rough timings because i've not really got down to sorting the details with the venue yet. But it's something to aim for for nowimage
  • Quoted:
    Hi Lynz

of course I dont mind image

Our colour scheme is red, white and black (my H2B HUGE Man Utd fan) so that was his only request...which I can live with!

Your dress is gorgeous..I feel really behind as I havent even looked at a dress or anything yet, was thinking that maybe I would have a look after Christmas but I am not sure how long they take to arrive? how long is yours taking or are they just ordering it in for when you need it?

Also I am a little worried about just going in the dress shops, do you need to make an appointment...i am rubbish and feel like I know nothing! I will be asking you questions all the time!!

Wend xx

Hi Wend

I was a bit nervous about going into dress shops but was too excited to wait, I made a couple of appointments for shops but on most of them just went in and asked if I could look around, I went midweek or later on a Saturday afternoon and they let me try on dresses.

Mine is actually ready in the shop, it's a bit of a tale but will bore you haha!!

My mum sort of knows this woman who has a dress shop in Liverpool (only by talking in the local pub), so we went to have a look in her shop and saw this Mori Lee dress, then she recommended the one I have got she said come back and i'll get it sorted for you. On the next visit she showed me it and tried it on etc, the only things was it was way out of my budget. The dress is a little tight but they said if I want it and can lose about 4lb to make it fit perfect I can have it at cost price.....which I can't believe, should have been over a £1000 (so they said) and have got it for £650.00 have paid the deposit and can pay the rest of in instalments. So its all away now nicely secure in their warehouse. I Need to loose the 4lb by sept for my proper fitting etc.

So got the wii fit and

have been trying to get the weight down haha!! She says eating a packet of crisps.

Sorry to go on!!!!

Ask away if I can help will love too, I'll be hassling you for help haha!!

Lynz x

[Modified by: XWendyX on July 30, 2009 10:15 PM]

• Quoted:
    well our ceremony started just after 4pm, even though i was ready way before people were slow sitting down lol. (all in the same venue so i just had to walk downstairs).

we finished roughly about 20 past, spent about 5 mins doing the signing the register pics etc.

walked out of there.

spent about 10 mins with people congratulating us.

about an hour plus of pics, my dad is photographer and so am i so we were quite picky about them lol image

about quarter to six we had afternoon tea which lasted about an hour. on our invitations it said for evening guests to be there by 7 but most didnt arive until way past this, about 7.40 when everyone was finally there.

we did things a bit topsy turvy from then on because of the layout of our venue, and the face that our cake was in the main room not the reception room.

we cut the cake, then were seated for speeches, then first dance, then food, then more dancing.

cake cutting and pics take about 10 mins, speeches (get rough timings, add more time for the laughter pauses and clapping etc.)

our food was served about 8.40

the whole days timings were behind from what we'd planned though because it can be really difficult to find people for pics or get them seated when they want to get a drink or go out to smoke image

hope that helps a bit, sorry its a bit long lol

Mrs T xox

Your wedding sounds lovely, congrats xxx
  • Thanks Inez as your wedding sounds similar to mine, I'm so please you and others are doing this!

When I first mentioned what I wanted to do people where looking at me a bit weird!!!

My only big worry is as I have asked the rest of the guests to arrive at 7 so I can open the buffet around 8, will the buffet be big enough for those who have been there from 5.

I keep looking at the menus and trying to decide what would be better it's really starting to be a worry!!

• jojosmamanjojosmaman Posts: 499
    An early eve xmas wedding sounds lovely but I will agree with what some of the others have said and if you can have champagne and canapes for day guests and the main meal as hot buffet in the evening as otherwise I think you might be pushed for time before eve guests arrive and the last thing you want is to be watching the clock on your big day. Also, what time do you have the venue until? Just because if you have eve guests at 8.30pm but then you have to finish at 12 its not really long enough. I went to a wedding last year where we were told to arrive at 8pm for the eve but the dinner/ speeches had overrun so the room wasn't turned around and ready until 9pm and then it finished at 12 (and we'd travelled from south manchester to the wirral!).

Also, for photos, we are just having one posed pic of me, h2b and our little boy and the rest reportage so I can spend as much time with the guests as possible (and so I can enjoy what all my time, money and effort has gone on!)

Have a superb day!
    Quoted:
    An early eve xmas wedding sounds lovely but I will agree with what some of the others have said and if you can have champagne and canapes for day guests and the main meal as hot buffet in the evening as otherwise I think you might be pushed for time before eve guests arrive and the last thing you want is to be watching the clock on your big day. Also, what time do you have the venue until? Just because if you have eve guests at 8.30pm but then you have to finish at 12 its not really long enough. I went to a wedding last year where we were told to arrive at 8pm for the eve but the dinner/ speeches had overrun so the room wasn't turned around and ready until 9pm and then it finished at 12 (and we'd travelled from south manchester to the wirral!).

Also, for photos, we are just having one posed pic of me, h2b and our little boy and the rest reportage so I can spend as much time with the guests as possible (and so I can enjoy what all my time, money and effort has gone on!)

Have a superb day!

Hi There!

We only have our venue until 12 mindnight, thinking about it and reading everyone's posts we think that a buffet would be a better idea, cos the last thing I want is rushing as neither me or H2B are like that, we are both quite relaxed and hate fuss. We were thinking about a cavery as opposed to a hot buffet, do you think that would be quicker than a sit down meal?

Wend xx
    Hi Lynz

What was the name of the shop where you got your dress? After you sent me the link to yours I had a look on the Mori lee webiste and some of the dresses are gorgeous, but the nearest stockists I can find are in Bolton (I live in Altrincham) so Liverpool isnt too far for me to go.

Wend xx
  • Hi Wend

The name of the shop is Nico in London Road Liverpool, I tried the dress in the link below, which is actually in the shop which was lovely!

It only small but the woman is lovely in there, I can't remember the phone number and let you know.

http://www.morilee.com/DressDetail.aspx?C=12&D=4511&P=1

Lynz