Liverpool Venue or St Helens Venue...any recommendations?

Hi girls,

I am getting married in Dominican Republic and want to have a do back home for people who were unable to attend! Problem is i'm having trouble finding a good venue. Does anyone know of anywhere in/around Liverpool/St.helens that is nice? And some idea of prices?

Cheers x

[Modified by: MrsLyon2b on 18 August 2009 16:12:45 ]

• emsyjemsyj Posts: 3,807
    How much do you want to spend, how many people and what sort of venue? If you put 'Liverpool venue' or 'St Helens venue' you may get more replies.

A friend of mine recently hired out the CHET centre in Little Crosby Village for her wedding - it's really cheap to hire, in a lovely location and you can take your own food or hire whatever caterer you want - think you can take your own drinks too.
  • MrsLyon2bMrsLyon2b Posts: 112
    Thanks chick. We're looking to spend around £5000 maximum and around 100 - 120 people. Somewhere that is in it's own grounds is preferable, I did find West Tower thats in Ormskirk but not sure whether it's what we want xx
  • emsyjemsyj Posts: 3,807
    that's a really good budget for an evening party (if that's what you're planning!!!) Not heard of West Tower (I'm from the Wirral so I don't know that area) but there's lots of other girls on here who will have some ideas for you.
  • MrsT2703MrsT2703 Posts: 1,805
    hi, i live in newton-le-willows so just down road from st helens. Have you tried park Inn in st helens?. x
    Thanks for the reply girls. Yes that will be for the evening do...though we might be having a blessing before the do...not sure yet. I did look at the park inn but wasnt really what I was looking for. Oooh thanks Gem...will definately have a look at that. When do you get married? Thanks ems, I used to live in Moreton..was looking at the wirral at one point but will be too far for our guests methinks! xx
  • JenKukJenKuk Posts: 235
    Hi,

I am from Ormskirk ad would advise against the west tower we got a quote around 20K for the whole day so I don't know about an evening and I have been told it is really overpriced.

When are you getting married? I found that some places would not let you have just an evening reception. image

I am going to Hurlston Hall Scarsbrick. It might be a bit far though.
  • KarlaPukKarlaPuk Posts: 40
    Hi, I live in Whiston and having the exact same problem, theres just nowhere round here, is there? We've looked at the Park too, but I know someone ho had their wedding recently and they ran out of food and ended up serving chicken nugget!

We've looked at the Village Hotel, which is just down the road from me, its lovely but been to 4 weddings there in the last year and I'd like somewhere a bit different. The Crowne Plaza in Speke is nice and the Suites hotel in knowsley, but they only do Friday nights if your just having your evening reception. Hope you find somewhere
  • nannyjanuknannyjanuk Posts: 245
    There are quite a few golf clubs in and around the area.

Blundells Hill Rainhill, Eccleston Park, Rainford, if you look on Knowsley council website they are listed as they all have a license for civil ceremony as well. We get married at Register Office, Prescot with reception at Mersey Valley golf and country club at Bold Heath. ( this one doesn't have license )

[Modified by: nannyjan on August 19, 2009 02:18 PM]

• Hey, I'm going to recommend my venue - the Hard Days Night Hotel in Liverpool - its a gorgeous venue - and i find that its very reasonably priced x
  • vgbearvgbear Posts: 152
    What about Runcorn / Warrington way. Which is v close to St Helens. We had our wedding at the DeVere Daresbury Park and our whole wedding did not cost your budget so you would have no problems.

I dont really know anywhere nice in St Helens. In Widnes the Everglades is nice my hubbies auntie and uncle renewed there vows there last year and the staff were very helpful.

Will try and think of where I know
  • vgbearvgbear Posts: 152
    What about Runcorn / Warrington way. Which is v close to St Helens. We had our wedding at the DeVere Daresbury Park and our whole wedding did not cost your budget so you would have no problems.

I dont really know anywhere nice in St Helens. In Widnes the Everglades is nice my hubbies auntie and uncle renewed there vows there last year and the staff were very helpful.

Will try and think of where I know
  • I've been to two weddings at the Palm House in Sefton Park, was quite an unsual venue and they got some really nice photos! No idea on costs though.

http://www.palmhouse.org.uk/palm-house-hire.php
    Hi girls!

Thank you SO much for all the posts. Lots of things to look at. Thanks for the warning on West Tower Jen. We are actually getting married in Dominican Republic but want to have a marriage blessing when we get back and then have the do straight after! Haven't a clue on the Blessing though! Has anyone been to one? What did you think of it? Sorry getting all excited and mind is running a hundreds of miles a minute! Lol. Its so hard as you are right there isn't anywhere that just jumps out! Its such a pain. I did research the Village hotel but it was booked for the date we wanted! All advice is so appreciated and any more is even more appreciated! Thanks girls xxxx
    Getting Married 1st September 2010 (which will be our 4 year anniversary together!) and am looking at a week or two later for the venue/blessing Jen image
  • Hi I'm getting married at the Village Hotel Liverpool in Nov 2010, I looked a few places the Solna Hotel and Alicia Hotels in Sefton Park are lovely, the Solna was my second choice from the Village. They are really nice and try to accomodate your needs. My folks went to a 21st recently there and they said the food was beautiful (this only started me panicking thinking I'd made the wrong choice!!!!!)

KarlaP could I be cheeky to ask you about the weddings you went to at the Village, how was the food etc? haha sorry to butt in on your dilema MrsLyon2b

Anyway you find somewhere and good luck

Lynz

xxx
  • Hi Chatty, I am getting married in the Village Hotel in October. So far they have been really helpful with the planning etc. My friend in work is going to a wedding there in a couple of weeks so I will let you know what he thinks! My mums best friend went to one there a few weeks ago and she said the food was lovely. Me and my partner looked at loads of venues and thought that was the best value for what you get! Can't wait, thou starting to panic a bit now lol
  • Hi Lyndacar29

It's so nice to finally someone who is getting married there, congratulations, I bet you are getting nervous but i'm sure everything will be go great.

I know a friend in work who attended a wedding there a few weeks ago but being a bloke he was like it's nice but i wanted to know all the details haha!!

I'm stuck at the moment as we are getting married at 5pm at the hotel and then having just the one buffet but as yet I keep changing my mind with Buffet to have!!

Can you suggest what you think? haha I'll have you demented now!!!

xx
  • allyseaballyseab Posts: 30
    Hi Lyndacar29 + misschatty

Sorry to barge in too, but I am also getting married at the Village in Whiston, in May 2010.

If you can pass on any advice/info that would be great.

I dont know anyone thats had their wedding there before, but it seems like a lovely place. We are having our ceremony at Speke Hall, so we had to pick somewhere local to have the reception and it ticked all the boxes.

Am in middle of mad-wedding planning now!

thanks

alisea
    Hi ladies

The Village is really lovely, the weddings I went to all had different food, some had a hot buffet which was excellent, the other that just had the cold buffet which was nice but I'd definately go for the hot one. There was plenty of choice and the deserts were fab. The only down side is that the drinks are a little pricey, but only what you'd expect from a hotel. They do have lots of theme nights there, so maybe try one of those and sample the food they do. Good luck everyone, happy planning!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Hi all....We're having the village hotel 2!!!

Couldn't recommend it enough xx
  • Karla P...... Hi xx
    Hi Clairemumof3

I feel all left out now, might have have my reception there too. Can't book mine yet tho as h2b is in the army and can't get a date for the reception yet. Oh at least the wedding itself is booked!
  • Hi hun, Do you know who i am?

Where r u getting married? we r getting married in Prescot church image) x but its not till 28th May 2011...booo!! xx
    Nope, haven't got a clue. But I've just this minute got back from Prescot church, godmother practice for Sunday. We're getting married in Greece next July. I'm dying to know who you are??????
  • He he no one exciting....Claire Minshull image

Tried 2 MSG u on FB chat b4 but u went off lol x

xx Greece u lucky thing...were going 2 Florida next year but decided not to get married there and wait till year after (his mum & dad and my dad would be upset) Never thought wedding planning would be this exciting!!! xxx
    Hello love, my god its a small world ha ha. I know my mum would kill me if we went without her. How good is this site? I'm proper addicted, its the new facebook for me lol xx
  • haha!! I've been on this every day since i found it lol!! Facebook who????

When u do decide on a venue have a look at these people.......

http://www.bigentertainments.com/

The village recommended them and they've just given us a good quote! xx

I'm sure we'll keep seeing each other now xx
  • Quoted:
    Hi Lyndacar29 + misschatty

Sorry to barge in too, but I am also getting married at the Village in Whiston, in May 2010.

If you can pass on any advice/info that would be great.

I dont know anyone thats had their wedding there before, but it seems like a lovely place. We are having our ceremony at Speke Hall, so we had to pick somewhere local to have the reception and it ticked all the boxes.

Am in middle of mad-wedding planning now!

thanks

alisea

Hi Alisea

Congratulations, glad to see there's someone else out there too having the vilage too.

I know someone who has been to a wedding there and they said it was nice but the bar was a bit pricey as mentioned before but being in a hotel people would expect that......I hope haha!!!!

Good luck with the planning, let us know how you get on!

• Miss Chatty - so pleased to hear good things about the food in the Solna! Having my reception there in November and panicking a bit cos not read many reviews so thank you!

I looked at loads of Liverpool venues and was most impressed with Radisson, Liverpool Marina and OSQA piano bar - really reasonably priced and gorgeous food, just the layout wasn't very child friendly I felt.

Hope this helps xxx
  • Hi scousetoots

Congratulations, oh god I wish mine was this Nov not next year, I love the Solna it is so cosy and at that time of year you'll prob have the hotel to yourselves.

Glad to help with your food crisis, if it helps, like all folks my mum said it was lovely and my dad said the ribs were nice......my dad loves curries and ribs so he was pleased.

My friends brother and girlfriend have gone there and booked for next year so that's a good sign.

Good luck with the plans, keep us updated xx