HELP - DOUBLE BOOKED WEDDING

Hi,

I am absolutely devastated. After months of trawling venues, we opting on our dream venue back in 2008. One of our main criteria was that we didnt want to share our wedding day with another group. We were promised by our venue that this would not happen, so we proceeded to book the day/venue. Since then the wedding co-ordinator has changed at the venue, and they have never once proactively contacted me.

After a minor issue with my florist last week, I decided to ask another florist in my area if they had availablity for my wedding day. She said that she was actually booked that day, however, she just so happened to be booked by a party who were having their wedding reception at our venue...! I thought there must be some mistake. I asked when the party were arriving, and she said the service was at 1pm at a nearby church, the same as us!!! They were also having their reception in the same building!

I am furious, and immediately booked an app with the venue, where they have tried to reassure me there will not be a clash in arrival times, yet they have only suggested 15 minutes gap between arrivals and I do not think this is ample time, what if one party gets delayed and what about photos outside the main building??

I am hugely disappointed yet only have 7 weeks til my wedding. I am more angry that I found out through a third party and at no point did the venue staff make me aware of his situation, if they had earlier I may have been able to change my ceremony time, but now my invites have already been printed and sent out.

Also now i feel the venue are dictated MY day by telling me when I have to arrive, and how long I can stay at the entrance so not to cause an inconvenience to this other party. I will also add that I am paying double to amount that the other party as I have double the number of guests during the day.

ANY ADVICE? Am I within my rights to ask the venue that I wish for this other party to be moved to another venue, I completely feel mis-sold to, given that our main criteria was that we wanted to be the only wedding on that day.

x

• Hi,

I am absolutely devastated. After months of trawling venues, we opting on our dream venue back in 2008. One of our main criteria was that we didnt want to share our wedding day with another group. We were promised by our venue that this would not happen, so we proceeded to book the day/venue. Since then the wedding co-ordinator has changed at the venue, and they have never once proactively contacted me.

After a minor issue with my florist last week, I decided to ask another florist in my area if they had availablity for my wedding day. She said that she was actually booked that day, however, she just so happened to be booked by a party who were having their wedding reception at our venue...! I thought there must be some mistake. I asked when the party were arriving, and she said the service was at 1pm at a nearby church, the same as us!!! They were also having their reception in the same building!

I am furious, and immediately booked an app with the venue, where they have tried to reassure me there will not be a clash in arrival times, yet they have only suggested 15 minutes gap between arrivals and I do not think this is ample time, what if one party gets delayed and what about photos outside the main building??

I am hugely disappointed yet only have 7 weeks til my wedding. I am more angry that I found out through a third party and at no point did the venue staff make me aware of his situation, if they had earlier I may have been able to change my ceremony time, but now my invites have already been printed and sent out.

Also now i feel the venue are dictated MY day by telling me when I have to arrive, and how long I can stay at the entrance so not to cause an inconvenience to this other party. I will also add that I am paying double to amount that the other party as I have double the number of guests during the day.

ANY ADVICE? Am I within my rights to ask the venue that I wish for this other party to be moved to another venue, I completely feel mis-sold to, given that our main criteria was that we wanted to be the only wedding on that day.

x

• hi

so sorry to hear all this, did you get a contract from them or anything in writing saying that you will have exclusive use of the venue, if so then they must honour it.

if not seek advice from your wedding insurance company (if you have taken one out - they maybe able to advise on legal representation for you). otherwise try contacting the Citizen Advice Bureau.

I would suggest making an appointment with the Manager - by-pass this new guy and go straight to the top.

Try to reason with them first - demonstrate that you are willing to try to work with them to sort something out to both yours and theirs benifit before putting demands on them and getting their back up.

If you even have a diary or original notes written by the hotel saying exclusive use or if its on an old leaflet or check out their website - they may not have updated it yet if it says exclusive use take a copy of the web-page either print it out or, press print screen, open word then paste - you will get the webpage come up on your word document.

If they wont budge and you do not have anything in writing nor have a contract stating exclusive use then they are not legally in the wrong as far as I am aware but I am not able to legally advise as I am not legally trained.

If this is the case then put the ball back in their court - say you will be arriving at ...... time, that you were told and re-assured you had exclusive use and therefore you expect exclusive use - explain you are seeking legal representation and expect them to find the other wedding party to move.

It will be horrible for the other party too, its not their fault and just imagine how the bride and groom will feel with regards to their wedding plans being in turmoil also.

I would hate this situation to happen to anyone - someones worse nightmare and something I am totally insisiting on when we choose a venue, this will be something I will get in writing before I book the venue.

Good luck, and remember get the legal facts right first, check out your insurance and try to demonstrate fair-play your end first before you get their backs up and start making demands. Also most importantly ensure that any correspondence is in writing, I prefer e-mail because then you can do received receipt and read receipt so you can see when its being actioned hopefully and you will have a proper copy. don't forget to keep any electronic replies just in case you need to take legal action.

good luck

xxx
  • I am a legally trained! Even if you don't have anything in writing, an oral contract is legally binding. If they TOLD you something which you RELIED on then its legally binding. The difficult bit is proving that they said it.

The old staff member was acting on behalf of the company, and your agreement was ultimately with the hotel/venue.

You are within your rights to ask the hotel to move this other wedding as you wanted exclusive use. What about bumping into the other bride in the toilets? About their guests eating your buffet if the other party is rubbish? Checking the arrival time isn't going to change the WHOLE DAY!

I would tell the hotel you expect exclusive use and want the other couple move (which the hotel will obviously say no to) so you say you want yours moved (to a better hotel and money paid to you to cover your costs in changing the venue and "for your trouble")

They will say no to this too so you say you want substantial compensation for their breach of contract. What you agree is "enough" is up to you.

• I have email confirmation from the older member of staff saying there will not be another wedding on the same day, I have also met with the manager yest morning who was v apologetic.

Fully understand your views tobcarter, but feel I have to be selfish as I am spending 15k on a day I thought would be exclusive to myself. I can not think about the other bride to be honest. Call me selfish!

They were apologetic, and said they would have to speak to the other party. I just wanted peoples opinions/views/advise. Fact of matter is I do not want them there so am I within my right to tell the venue to move the other party to a different venue and give them a better wedding somewhere else. In my eyes the venue has screwed up, not me (or the other bride).
  • awww noooo!

sorry

Let us all know the outcome!

xxxx

• Let us know how it goes - but I agree with you, you need to think about you on this. £1000 compensation isn't enough - I'd want a marquee/extra space, free bar for all my guests, free accomodation and a refund on 50% of the food.
  • i would tell them everything you have told us and let them know how upset you are. if thy told you in writing you're wedding was the only one then i'd kick up a huge fuss! Gx
  • So I did as you suggested today and emailed them saying thanks for meeting on saturday and with careful thought I think that we are well within our rights to ask for the other party to be moved to a different building on the venue site, or to another of the chains venue.

She rang back immediately saying that she will contact the other wedding tomorrow to offer them the opportunity to move to a different building on site.

Lets see what they say! x
  • doon86doon86 Posts: 87
    Hope it gets sorted hun. Good Luck x
  • Glad to hear there is some progress, implying that the venue know full-well they are in the wrong.

You should definitely push very hard for this - I'd be absolutely outraged if my venue did this to me! Especially if I was paying £15k for exclusivity!!! What if the other couple decide they don't want to take the 'opportunity' to be moved to another building?

Also, the venue is going to be making a massive profit from having both weddings on the same day at the cost of your personal 'wedding vision'. You should demand a huge discount or rebate from them.

Maybe start thinking about what you want in return - 50% of dining charges, refund for the 'exclusive fee' (which should be automatic now) etc. Did they say what they were going to do if the other couple didn't want to move/change?

• I havent technically paid for exclusivity. The 15k was for my wedding itself. However, I was told there would not be another wedding at the venue on same day. They have not given me a back up plan. Originally we were arriving at same time at same building! Their first offer was to stagger the arrival times by 15 mins!!!!!!! NO WAY.. What if they got delayed??? Hopeless, utterly.
  • nowmrspenowmrspe Posts: 188
    Hi chopperbride,

have you had any news yet??
  • No news as yet, it is agonising as I only have 67 days til the big day. I have told my parents, who are contributing and they have said they are willing to step in at any point, as they are also not very happy with the situation.

I know the plan was for the venue to contact this other party today and get back to me either tomorrow or Thurs at latest when the manager is back in.

I just cant see how this can really get resolved if they say they wont move, as no amount of money off is really going to change the fact that these other people will be sharing my day. I even found out on Saturday that the other couple will be staying directly opposite the corridor as us! How awful!
  • awww chopperbride, I hope you hear back soon. I had to change my venue with 7 weeks to go after the hotel booked a coach party into all the rooms and left none for our guests! This was after 2 and a half years notice. Try not to panic, I managed to find another venue which actually worked out nicer for us but that is a last resort. The hotel wouldn't cancel the coach party and told us to book a bed n breakfast up the road - it was a 128 room hotel!!! . They lost a lot of money.

Just want to give you a hug and lots of good luck x
  • Sorry I thought you'd paid £15k for the exclusivity! But that still means they're getting £15k out of you, and this was on the understanding that you would have exclusive use, right?

Have you started looking into alternative options? It does sound possible to change last minute... I'm not sure of the legal situation but maybe others can help here (it sounds like the venue broke their contract).

I can't imagine how awful the prospect of getting to your room the same time as the other bride and seeing the other couple! Have you asked the venue about a backup plan if the couple say 'no'? The hotel should be much more proactive than this. What have they thought about where photos are going to be taken, and what impact will it have on their kitchens and ability to put their full attention on you? What if the florists and bands etc get mixed up? Sorry I'm not helping here... I'll shut up.

Really hope you can resolve this.xx
  • hi Chopper bride how awful for you (and i imagine the other bride who is probably in the same boat) just remember to keep a detailed log of any calls made the time and who you spoke to you will need these if you have to take action for a discount!
  • Hi Chopperbride,

Whats happened?????
  • Update us! image
  • Well. forwarded all the details to my parents, they are not legally trained but i class them as pretty smart. Dad seems to think the venue are defo breach of contract.

In terms of the venue, they contacted me on wed, to say they have spoken to the other couple, and they are ocming in on Monday for a discussion. I pushed the buttons and said that I would like to request that the other party get moved to another building. The site has 250 acres and 3 main buildings.

I dread to think what would happen if the other couple do not agree to move.

The agony continues!
  • SO UPDATE....

as expected they other couple are not budging. BUT the venue again have been less than honest. Instead of telling this other couple, oh we have screwed up.. they said oh there is an issue with the timings... also the other group ALWAYS knew there was another wedding, whereas we were lied to as we were told there would NOT be another wedding. I kept tight lipped, and asked her to send me all information on email. I was due to meet on Thursday to discuss my special day (it has been in the diary since before xmas). Now, as the manager puts it, we need to spend this time to come to a resolution, not keep going to and fro.

So I spoke to my parents, they agreed that the venue have been dishonest, and that they are not really trying to resolve our issue, just their OWN.

I rang back the manager and said I will confirm attendance at the meeting on Thurs, and my parents will also be there.

I have left it as that. But I am absolutely distraught, as it seems the venue are not trying to sort out the problem at all.
  • SO UPDATE....

as expected they other couple are not budging. BUT the venue again have been less than honest. Instead of telling this other couple, oh we have screwed up.. they said oh there is an issue with the timings... also the other group ALWAYS knew there was another wedding, whereas we were lied to as we were told there would NOT be another wedding. I kept tight lipped, and asked her to send me all information on email. I was due to meet on Thursday to discuss my special day (it has been in the diary since before xmas). Now, as the manager puts it, we need to spend this time to come to a resolution, not keep going to and fro.

So I spoke to my parents, they agreed that the venue have been dishonest, and that they are not really trying to resolve our issue, just their OWN.

I rang back the manager and said I will confirm attendance at the meeting on Thurs, and my parents will also be there.

I have left it as that. But I am absolutely distraught, as it seems the venue are not trying to sort out the problem at all.
  • SO UPDATE....

• OH no! I had worried this might be the case. To be honest what I think you should do are either:

a) work out whether you could tolerate being in the same venue as another wedding, and if so, what MUST be done by the hotel to make this happen (draw up a specific list e.g., 'the other bride must arrive 1hr away from my time', 'x% discount on the food/drink'...). Think carefully about what you are willing to concede and imagine what that will be like on the day versus how you originally planned it. Have a backup plan (such as below) for if they refuse to fulfill it.

b) start looking for another venue now, if you haven't already. I've been suspecting that your venue has been dragging this out to minimise your ability to move it. Seek the advice of a lawyer and ideally bring them along to the meeting. Will probably scare the pants off the hotel having someone there that 1. knows your legal rights, 2. doesn't have an emotional attachment to the wedding and 3. shows you are not going to be messed around. Do you have a lawyer friend?

Plus, I think at the very least you should name and shame the venue - go to your local paper and blast their name in your home town and online. If you decide/have to change the venue, then tell all of your guests of the situation (i.e., venue broke their contract and refuse/were too complacent to do anything about it so you're now holding the wedding at x). If anyone wants to know the details explain what you have written here.

It doesn't sound like this venue is taking the matter seriously at all, it has blatantly broken it's contract and doesn't seem to care since the assumption will be that you will go ahead anyway. It's demonstrated this by not making any sincere effort to get the other wedding party away from yours to give a slightly more 'exclusive' feel. You need to ask yourself 1. if they are so contemptuous to break your contract in this way, what else will they do, and 2. do you want to give them £15k of your hard earned money?

This is EXACTLY what I would do! Unfortunately because so many people are in the predicament of being emotionally attached to their wedding, and with other suppliers being booked up quickly, these sorts of places have learnt to realise that they can get away with whatever they want. And they do!
  • I'm so sorry the venue have messed you around like this. How about you call your insurance company and also around a few other venues. If you explain the situation, that you're going to the press, you might get a better deal with a better venue if they'll get good publicity.

If you still want the wedding at this venue then you should take in a lawyer to the meeting and play total hardball. Demand a free bar, free rooms for your guests, free flowers, free use of the DJ. You name it, you want it free. Tell them you'll go to the local papers and say how they've ruined your special day bla bla bla. No bride is going to want their wedding there after this.

In my opinion you should try the former route first you'll be able to get an amazing venue for 15k last minute and then if that doesn't work then I would try to negotiate freebies.

I hope it all goes well. Let us know how it goes on Thursday
  • cebpickle1cebpickle1 Posts: 6,786
    I am not wantng to talk out of turn here but the hotel is a business in a recefssion, I know the former person promised you exclusivity but

1) did they have the authority to do this or just say it as knew they were leaving

2) does the venue often operate mulitple weddings? If so then why would they turn away £1000's of business?

Due to this I pulled out of two venues that we were considering as they could have up to three weddings a day there and would not turn away bookings

It sounds like from what you say with the three buildings they are used to this, the other couple won't move because in their eyes why should they, they picked their dream venue, and knew there was already another wedding there so won't have a problem with it.

I also don't see the point in going to the press, if th hotel is known for holding several weddings a day people will wonder what the fuss is about.

I think you are going to have to do one of two things, move venue yourself if truly not happy with it, or see what compensation you can get for the hassle and distress caused.
  • The thing is cebpickle, the former person was the wedding/events coordinator i.e., responsible for contracts and arrangements of events. Plus, regardless of whether they were about to leave or not, they are the representative of the company with regards to these things.

The fact that the management were apologetic and have acted on it also indicates that they know they are in the wrong. Regardless of whether the venue 'normally' operates multiple weddings, the OP was promised and made her decision to use this venue on the premise that it would be her exclusive use.

It also sounds like the other couple are in the same building as the OP as she was under the impression they could be moved to one of the other buildings, which would have been a slight improvement to the current situation.
  • Now if this was me, i would be down at the venue, and sitting their till I got what I wanted, print your email off several times, get a solicitor involved. Go to the local paper bit of bad publicity and they might back down. Make a really big stink tell everyone you can, and sit in their reception and o it. Really have a go at the general manager, and say this will be resolved in court and you will give me compensation if they cant move the other couple. But remember I dont know the venue. get a journo to go this should be a kick up the bum. good look.
  • Thanks for all your responses. I really am in a pickle. I have considered all these options but dont think that going to the press would help, after all should I remain at this venue I dont want them to sabotage it or not work hard for me if I go and piss everyone off.

The operations manager has just emailed me this:

As discussed yesterday I met with the other Bride and Groom yesterday to discuss the timings of both weddings. I offered to move their drinks reception to the other building which they were not happy about and refused. They have stated that like you there is no movement on their timings. I look forward to meeting with you all on Thursday evening to discuss further.

I am not stupid, I am aware that businesses are out to make money and this is a big establishment, but to say there will not be 2 weddings when there is, to not even tell me, for me to find out 3rd party, and for the venue to just say oh they are not budging is NOT ACCEPTABLE.

Also I have had this booked for 2 years, I could have easily moved my dates/times/venues, yet at no point did they have this discussion with me. Now 60 days to go and I am in a no win situation, and I have a venue that are dictating to me what I do on my day.

• Thanks for all your responses. I really am in a pickle. I have considered all these options but dont think that going to the press would help, after all should I remain at this venue I dont want them to sabotage it or not work hard for me if I go and piss everyone off.

The operations manager has just emailed me this:

As discussed yesterday I met with the other Bride and Groom yesterday to discuss the timings of both weddings. I offered to move their drinks reception to the other building which they were not happy about and refused. They have stated that like you there is no movement on their timings. I look forward to meeting with you all on Thursday evening to discuss further.

I am not stupid, I am aware that businesses are out to make money and this is a big establishment, but to say there will not be 2 weddings when there is, to not even tell me, for me to find out 3rd party, and for the venue to just say oh they are not budging is NOT ACCEPTABLE.

Also I have had this booked for 2 years, I could have easily moved my dates/times/venues, yet at no point did they have this discussion with me. Now 60 days to go and I am in a no win situation, and I have a venue that are dictating to me what I do on my day.

• Hun, to be frank, I will be very surprised if you get anywhere on Thursday since the other couple clearly don't mind sharing their wedding venue with someone else as they'd have been aware of this when they booked. There is no incentive for them to change their plans at all.

The venue is behaving disgustingly by asking the two parties to sort it out between them when this is really an issue between you and the venue. You need to agree with the venue, NOT the other couple, how your situation is going to be resolved. So, either you have to start looking into alternative venues now or sit down with the venue manager (without the other couple) and come to an agreement of how you are going to be compensated for this. I suspect that they'll try to get out of anything as they know you'll struggle to move.

I'm happy to have a look tomorrow at venues for you (I don't work) if you want to email me the details. xx