Any ideas for making a garden reception special ?

We are having our reception in our garden. Does anyone know of any good BBQ/Hog roast/Caterers that offer good value and quality for this sort of event in the Portsmouth/Hampshire area ? Also any tips for making our garden look extra special on a budget would be really appreciated.

• MrsRadcliffe1MrsRadcliffe1 Posts: 3,524
    How about bunting and candles and ribbon and nice touches like that. I cant really help with the caterers though, google?! image xx
  • lindsayjilindsayji Posts: 3
    Have googled and there are loads, all claiming to be amazing !!! Hopefully someone will help me with my shortlist for getting quotes. x image
  • GoldsGirlGoldsGirl Posts: 497
    hi hun,

my cousin had a garden party this weekend just gone for their wedding reception. things everyone really likes were.....

Bales of hay cvered in picnic blankets as seats

A few lanterns, not matching, all different scattered around

Metal heart with tea lights in hanging from the trees

the highlight was the ice cream truck that showed up! went down an absolute treat!

Good luck x

• Little jars either left plain or painted with glass paints with wire wrapped around the next and a tea light popped in hanging from trees and bushes and placed (safetly) in flower beds and on tables
  • busyplanningbusyplanning Posts: 632
    Hi

I've made some bunting and painted some wooden hearts (on rustic string) to hang from the marquee and in the trees, having those luminere candle bags, lots of tea lights, fairy lights wrapped around flower garlands, jugs of pims, a kids table with games, ballons fairy wands for the girls etc etc...

What about some giant garden games? We got a bargain - a wedding bouncy castle, adult and children sumo suits and giant connect four for £200 so might be worth shopping about for some quotes if you wanted anything like that (as some places were triple that!) xx image
  • busyplanningbusyplanning Posts: 632
    Also what might be worth doing, when you get quotes for hog roasts etc - dont mention first of all that its for a wedding as some places quote a hell of a lot more when the 'W' word is mentioned! x
  • lindsayjilindsayji Posts: 3
    Am so glad I took my best friends advice and joined this site !! Love the bales of hay idea. Not having children, except our own two as really limited for space in church and garden, but had been looking at the giant games on ebay etc. We have an ice cream truck that comes down our road in the summer so will def have a word with them !Thank you sooo much ! x
  • amyyearleyamyyearley Posts: 3,442
    I strongly recommend you check out the 'real weddings' section of oncewed.com - no one does this like the americans, it's where I've got every one of my design ideas from xxx

warning you can get stuck on this site for hours!! image

as for hog roast I'd get LOTS of quotes and suss the professionalism of the companies for yourself by asking lots of questions and judging their response, then ask for references xx
  • lindsayulindsayu Posts: 1,939
    Have a look at the cox and cox website I'm addicted! x
  • MiniMissAmyMiniMissAmy Posts: 154
    We are having our reception in a friend's garden, with a marquee set up. Haven't decided on a bbq or hog roast style menu yet, but have thought of the other details:

Jam jars dotted all over the garden with tea lights in them, hanging from trees, etc.

Centre pieces are going to be pillar candles of varying sizes.

Tree stumps and hay bales as seating around a dance area.

Possibly some garden games, like giant jenga, swing ball, etc.

• nickicovnickicov Posts: 491
    we are having a marquee in my inlaws garden.

making a bit of an entrance with an arch and then a "path" with bamboo tiki torches (tall so that kids cant burn themselves) and we have LOADS of plants in baskets. Then butterflies are a theme so they are dotted everywhere too.