Cake Pops!

Hey lovely brides-to-be!

I've been thinking of having cake pops instead of a sweetie buffet for ages but thought it would be very difficult to make, but I had a trial run today and they were so easy I'm going to go ahead and make 100 or so 2 days before the W-day! How do you think they'll go down?!

(ignore the blue - that was the only colour hobbycraft had - I'll get ivory icing with coloured sugarpaste roses for the real things)

They taste really good but VERY rich, Im suffering from sugar headache!

xx

• oh wow, they look fab! xxx
  • love them image
  • i want one!!! xx
  • MobblesMobbles Posts: 45
    Oh wow they look great!! I tried making these last weekend but they kept falling off the lollipop sticks - how did you get yours to stay on? Think I might have been making the cakepop too large - how big are yours!! jealous!! image
  • look great x
  • hamletta1hamletta1 Posts: 295
    Thank you!!

The first two I made fell off the sticks too.I got round it by chilling the mixture in the fridge for a while, making the balls a bit smaller (they were golf ball sized to begin with and i took a little bit off) and then the best thing was to dip the lollypop sticks in the candy melt before putting the stick into the cake mix ball, that then solidified and kept them on the sticks!

I'm so full up! x
  • mism1mism1 Posts: 307
    did you use candy melts to cover them?
  • lindsayulindsayu Posts: 1,939
    Hi would you mind sharing your recipe?! x
  • pminxypminxy Posts: 320
    I think they are brilliant!!! xxx
  • Sorry if this been asked before but do you have a link how to make them please?

I keep looking but can't find one with clear instructions and I really want to try it!

Yours look brilliant by the way image
  • shivsershivser Posts: 186
    I made cake pops for my birthday party last year. They look amazing but they are too sickly. Did you make the chocolate ones?
    Morning everyone!

Wow - I'm really pleased with the reaction on here - I hope it is as good at the wedding! I'm going to take them to my grandads 80th birthday party today to get a taste reaction!

They are quite sickly - I did red velvet (rich cocoa) cake with cream cheese icing, covered in candy melts (from hobbycraft) so a LOT of sugar.

Ffor the real thing I'm going to buy cake (rather than make it) to cut down on time, I'll just get the cheapy loaf cakes in asda - and I think I'll do lemon cake and carrot cake as they are a bit more summery than the chocolate.

I used these instructions from Rhubarb & Rose's blog:

http://www.rhubarbandrose.co.uk/2010/09/wedding-diy-cake-pops.html

You have to get the cake to a sort of marzipan-like consistency!

xxx
  • JP2BEJP2BE Posts: 262
    Oh, god. Tell me about it! They are verrry sickly! I also make them, and that's the number one comment I always get. Nice- but sickly hahah. Yours look fabulous! I find them easy to make and cost effective so I think I'm going down that route too. Here's an alternative to cake pops: cake bites! (Same idea, same recipe just minus the stick!) image The mini cup cakes are completely edible- the cake case is actually chocolate image

• Try bakerella for more cake pop ideas and recipes.

http://www.bakerella.com/category/pops-bites/

the smaller you make them the less sickly they will be
  • They look great, I really want to try and make some myself.

What recipe did you try?
  • DreambrideDreambride Posts: 394
    Mmmmm well done girls they look yummy image Just googled 'cake-pops' and found this site http://www.cakepops.org/how-to-make-cake-pops/
  • icklekidicklekid Posts: 732
    Quoted:
    Oh, god. Tell me about it! They are verrry sickly! I also make them, and that's the number one comment I always get. Nice- but sickly hahah. Yours look fabulous! I find them easy to make and cost effective so I think I'm going down that route too. Here's an alternative to cake pops: cake bites! (Same idea, same recipe just minus the stick!) The mini cup cakes are completely edible- the cake case is actually chocolate

How did you make chocolate cake case? Would pouring melted choc into silicon cases work? Really want to try this now as they look fab!
    Quoted:
    Quoted:
    Oh, god. Tell me about it! They are verrry sickly! I also make them, and that's the number one comment I always get. Nice- but sickly hahah. Yours look fabulous! I find them easy to make and cost effective so I think I'm going down that route too. Here's an alternative to cake pops: cake bites! (Same idea, same recipe just minus the stick!) The mini cup cakes are completely edible- the cake case is actually chocolate
    How did you make chocolate cake case? Would pouring melted choc into silicon cases work? Really want to try this now as they look fab!

Yep, this is exactly how I did it! I used mini silicon muffin cases (12 off amazon for about 4 quid). I basically prepared the cake ball and once they'd come out the fridge, I poured my chocolate (white chocolate with red food colouring) into the cake case, filling it half way up. Then i slowly pushed the cake ball in, making sure the choccy didn't rise over the edge. As it's choccy made for baking, it sets really quickly. Once I'd done them all, and they'd dried, I peeled the cake cases away and taa-daa! I then melted more white chocolate and just dipped the top half of the exposed cake ball in. You have to be quick here because if your hands get too hot you melt the lovely chocolate on the bottom half! image Also, another tip- watch out how many sprinkles go on top cos the weight drags the chocolate down and it may run over the chocolate cake case. If this happens, just wipe it away quickly image
    wow the mini cupcake balls are amazing!!! They sound quite fiddly though? Then again, so did cake pops until I tried them!

I took them to my grandparents 80th party yesterday to see what the oldies thought of them! They went down really well, even though they were bright blue! Except my great uncle didn't quite 'get it' and was sucking at his for ages because he thought it was a lollipop!

I'm definitely going to make them for the wedding, and may eve stick with the red velvet, as even though I find them quite sickly, the verdict from the partygoers was that they were just rich enough! I think if I use cream cheese rather than cream cheese icing to bind them. And I'll do lemon and poppyseed too for a mixture.

Roll on June 2012! xx
    double post sorry! xx
  • kerriganchankerriganchan Posts: 1,019
    Wow, they look fab! I had cake pops for my hen do. They were all different designs i.e. some were made to look like ladies with cucumber eyes and towel hair (we had a pamper afternoon) and some were flowers etc. They were down a real hit! Best of luck! x
    Yeah, I reckon sticking to cream cheese on it's own instead of with icing sugar is quite a good idea...I mean, the cake is already sweet. There must be a way to make them slightly less sickly haha or indeed- just making them smaller as someone's already suggested image
    Quoted:
    wow the mini cupcake balls are amazing!!! They sound quite fiddly though?

The cupcakes were my first attempt! They're really not much harder than regular cake balls image Go for it!
  • missymoo21missymoo21 Posts: 185
    They all look amazing - these are something I definitely want to have at my wedding, will have some practice attempts soon! image
    go for it missymoo!they are much easier than i've thought and everyone has been so impressed so far! you can practise on a shop bought cake for ease xx
  • i think you should let me taste one before i decide...