What Spirits should we offer our guests?

We are having a marquee reception and after much consideration we have decided to run our own bar.

We are able to get hold of the supplies and a barman for the evening but we are unsure of what drinks to offer!

We will obviously be offering white wine, red, rose, champagne, beer, soft drinks, etc but what spirits should we offer?

Any ideas gratefully received! image

• RowenaFWRowenaFW Posts: 2,078
    Gin and tonic is a favourite. Gordons is a good bet on price/quality compromise. How lavish do you want to go?
  • Gordon's Gin, Smirnoff vodka, brandy, Jack Daniels, whisky - a good quality one though... can't think of any more obvious ones!

Also with your wine, I'd make sure you have a couple of different kinds ie a Pinot Grigio and Chardonnay or Shiraz and Merlot.
  • FloFlo Posts: 432
    Now THIS is my area of expertise as I only drink spirits!

I think Jack Daniels and something like Bells as the first is better used with a mixer, and the bells on it's own. Vodka of any kind is fine as there isn't much difference in taste from the cheaper to the expensive (unless your taking it neat then expensive is better). Gordon's Gin, or Bombay, is best as it really does matter with gin. Tia Maria always goes down well, or amaretto, as they are quite similar. Also there are cheaper spirits like malibu, schnapps (brand really matters on this as cheaper ones all taste like coconut!), martini (dry and rossi are best, medium is often not drank at all).

If it was me I would have Jack Daniels, Bells, Vladivar vodka, Tia Maria, Bombay gin, Archers, Malibu, and maybe Cherry or Strawberry Sourz as something a bit more fun, or even a brandy.

It might not be a bad idea to have a few alco-pops too, especially if you are only limiting your spirits to a small selection. I suppose is all depends on how many guests and how many bottles you want to buy, at a minimum I would say Jack Daniels, Gin, Vodka, and Bells.
  • Hi

We are doing the same but only having a very limited selection of spirits, as the bigger the selection the more we have to buy (and have leftover) to cover everyones choices. So we're having:

gin

vodka

rum

whisky

and that's it for spirits. There will be red and white wine, beer and prosecco too plus coke, lemonade, OJ, tonic and water for mixers. If somebody can't find something to drink in that lot they have no business being a member of my family or a friend! image
  • i agree with FloAnt, i would serve brandy, vodka and whiskey as they are the main sprits and gin as well image
  • lindsayulindsayu Posts: 1,939
    What about getting a flavoured vodka in there too? Apple Absolut is lovely (especially with diet lemonade), and raspberry goes well with cranberry juice - put in a nice glass and it's a very simple cocktail.

Disaronno amaretto - I drink with diet coke but has various (what about making DIY stirrers with cocktail ideas on based on the drinks you get in?)

Extra dry martini - with diet lemonade - martini is pretty cheap as well.

10 on a Saturday morning and this is making me thirsty!! image image