Homemade Favour ideas - not sweets!

Yes, I know you don't have to have them, but I quite like the idea!

I don't want sweets or chocs as I'm saving sweetie buffet/ice cream van

I'd like to be able to make them - or at least personalise them.

Max budget is £100 for 80 odd.

Any ideas you lovely ladies???

• Im making wooden favours with their name on the front as their place name and on the back a love quote our names and the date

so it doubles up and they can keep them
  • nats2013nats2013 Posts: 6,253
    our wedding favours will mostly be a nigella plant commonly known as love-in-a-mist. packet of seeds 98p and a few weeks germination grown to the point of almost flowering and popped into a pyrimid shaped box which im making with just folded thin card which will also double as the name place. the plant will just stick out of the top and as it's self seeding and loves this country you can just stick it in a pot and watch it grow and flower year after year (i got into gardening when we moved into our new home 18 months ago)

i am also putting an origami button hole/corsage on everyone's order of the day/service so everyone is part of the group, got a bit of an origami things going on with all the decs and flowers
  • i had the idea of making heart shaped biscuits and icing them with peoples names on then into a cellophane bag tied with a ribbon

can get 100 cellophane bags for roughly £6 say £4 for the ribbon and then £20 for the baking ingredients - homemade, personalised and also can count as place names etc
  • I'm going to do similar to nats but not going to bother trying to grow the seeds! Just going to pop some seeds in an organza bag ( 35p per bag from http://www.aweddinglessordinary.co.uk/ )
  • HannikinsHannikins Posts: 1,046
    my FIL made lemoncello so I just had to buy bottles and decorate them.
  • Love the biscuit idea! I'd really like to make something personal for our guests, but we've already got everybody joining in making cupcakes so I think it might be a bit adventurous for us.
  • Spond25Spond25 Posts: 580
    me and the bridesmaids and best woman are making and icig butterfly shaped cookies and wrapping them in cellophane and bows thought i'd be fun... gonna start practicing soon so they'll be perfected
  • How about making jam? Not sure of cost that's the only thing..

Although they seem quite reasonable on this website:

http://www.ebottles.co.uk/showbottles.asp?familyid=49&havevat=N

Then you just need the costs of fruit, sugar, labels- I reckon you could do it for £100!x
  • Hi, I've made strawberry jam for the ladies and chutney for the men, but I started in the summer and they look fabulous. I would deffinately recommend home made favours. xx
  • Cajo2013Cajo2013 Posts: 361
    We are having home made truffles for the ladies and home made chutney for the men, made with ingredients we have grown ourselves and putting the chutney in tiny little rustic jars ties with ribbon and lace x
  • My mum is making Jam but I am lucky as she has a Jam company.

It depends on how many guests I am giving them all strawberry jam
  • Lucym89Lucym89 Posts: 389
    I want to bake cookies I have got from ebay bride and groom cookie cutters I have someone to help me she is also making the cake though (so she will be stressign about that) and MIL was like your taking too much on doing all of that and we won't be able to help (they all doing the flowers) so I am not so excited anymore. I didn't really see the reality or me baking 60 cookies the day before the weding lol. image
  • We made jam, we did half strawberry and half blackberry, then we covered the lids with fabric and tied it with ribbon that matched our colour scheme. Looked fab and had lots of compliments, we had about 70 guests and it came in at well under £100.
  • Thank you very much all, lots of ideas!
  • We're making a mix cd of our favourite songs, and we're making the cover to put them in.
  • We are going to have lavender in my flowers and in the table decorations...

So I was thinking about making little scented lavender hearts.... like this:

These would probably be for the ladies rather than the guys though! Not sure what I'd do for them!
  • Not sure if we are doing favours yet, but if we do it'll be homemade jam...yum yum image xx
  • I am making sugar dusted wedding cookies - the recipe is on the Good Food website it's really easy and can be frozen uncooked for 2 months and keep cooked for about a week. I am putting them in cellophane bags which you can buy really cheap from amazon and putting luggage tags with guest names on so they double up as place settings. They really are lovely but so easy and cost effective! X
  • Boo81ukBoo81uk Posts: 254
    How about heart shaped bird seed favours? A bit quirky but they look really cute! You can buy get 100 for about £100 from Etsy or even make them yourself

http://wedinlondon.com/2012/01/23/love-birds/
  • SparklesSparkles Posts: 377
    I saw a lovely idea on RMW and I think were going to do this as it's personal to us.

You can give a donation to Cancer Research and they give you little cards with a pin badge on for each guest.If you donate £1 for each guest your doing something good for alot of people and each guest gets a reminder from your day and they feel like they too are doing something good too.

I'm going to look into doing it for two charities, Prostate Cancer Charity and also Alzheimers Society.

• MRS LILLERSMRS LILLERS Posts: 1,320
    Quoted:
    I saw a lovely idea on RMW and I think were going to do this as it's personal to us.

You can give a donation to Cancer Research and they give you little cards with a pin badge on for each guest.If you donate £1 for each guest your doing something good for alot of people and each guest gets a reminder from your day and they feel like they too are doing something good too.

I'm going to look into doing it for two charities, Prostate Cancer Charity and also Alzheimers Society.

wonderful idea!
  • Quoted:
    How about heart shaped bird seed favours? A bit quirky but they look really cute! You can buy get 100 for about £100 from Etsy or even make them yourself

http://wedinlondon.com/2012/01/23/love-birds/

And we have a winner.... thank you SO much.

He and I really love feeding birds, and more than that, it's something very close to our heart as we got to know each other on walks around our local lake; and it's where he proposed.

Making the above is really easy, or so Google tells me, and I'm going to include a card telling our guests about why we chose these as favours... those close to us will know when I say 'the lake is where we talked about our past, present and future' that what I mean is, it's where we talked about why we didn't work out first time around and I learned to realise he wasn't going to finish with me (again)

Best bit of all? All in, 80 odd favours will cost less than £25 and they're totally personal to us.

Thank you! image

• Hi,

What about handmade bath bombs?

My friend ordered some heart-shaped bath bombs in a Christmas scent from Millington's Gifts, but they will make you any scent you like.

They came in pretty organza bags with tags.

Very pretty image