Forum home Receptions

Would you be happy with this food??

Hey guys can I get some opinions please....

Personally speaking I am not a fan of 'traditional' buffets and so we are offering a hot choice for our evening guests.

We have chosen mini Fish chips and mushy peas OR Cumberland sausage mash and onion gravy with fresh baked hot bread and chocolate tart and caramel ice-cream. We also have a choc fountain with 12 dips.

Myself and hubby 2 be are having doubts now as some 'annoying' people have thrown their penny worth in saying we should have traditional buffet food (no change there then!!) and this has now made us question our choices.

Sometimes I wish people would just shut their damn mouths. image

Would you be happy with this if you were an evening guest??

xxx

• My advice....STUFF THEM...it sound fab, its your big day not theirs, do what you want as you will only do it once as long as you two have got what you like thats all that matters!!

I would be happy with your menu sounds right up my street!

Lisa x
  • Spond25Spond25 Posts: 580
    I'd be more than happy with that it's a greaat choice I agree with you about not being a fan with traditional buffets but if i went to a wedding where there was one i wouldn't dream of critising. it's your wedding so your choice. we're tied to our venue for food and didnt like the sound of their eveingin buffet and they have offered to do bacon and sausage baps and cajun wedges instead. people always find something to moan about so i wouldn't worry about it xx
  • MRMRS2014MRMRS2014 Posts: 1,279
    I would be happy with thoses choices. We have gone for the traditional buffet but added a couple of hot things aswell but only because it worked out cheaper for us but if not we would have gone for something very similar. If there is one thing i have learnt since planning our wedding its not to listen to anyone else and just have what you want. It is your wedding after all!! image x
  • Sounds quirky and DELICIOUS! X
  • I'd love to go to a wedding with that as the evening buffet! Personally I think the normal 'beige' buffet is very boring!!!
  • I think that sounds amazing, I'm obsessed with "mini" versions of food image

You can't please everyone, don't even try! I think it sounds fab and if you like it just do it!

There must be at least one whinger at every wedding xxx
  • lisabri12lisabri12 Posts: 199
    Aww thanks guys I feel better about the choices now!!

Aint it annoying when people throw in the classic 'oh you have to have' etc etc. Who said?? You said?? I dont care image

Blah blah I say. image
  • JodielouJodielou Posts: 4,058
    I think it sounds fab! image

You'll never please everyone, but I think most people will be pleasantly surprised and really enjoy it image It's just a little bit different to sandwiches etc, and it's great that you're offering a choice.

We're having mini fish & chips in the evening, so i am possibly a little biased image

Desserts sound delish too, but do you think (as you're having a chocolate fountain anyway) it might be an idea to have a fruity pud rather than chocolate tart, for those (frankly odd!) people who aren't so keen on chocolate? Fish & chips and sausages & mash are quite heavy too, so maybe something like lemon tart with rasberry sorbet might be quite nice?

Edited to say that I agree with the other posters though- it's YOUR choice and I think it all sounds lovely x

Jodie we did think of poss changing the dessert yeah.

We are serving lemon tart during the day but you know what I might swap em around hee hee image
  • Mrs BoundsMrs Bounds Posts: 1,311
    it all sounds delish to me, and i'm a veggie lol! x
  • I am a mega fussy eater, like mega fussy, and I would enjoy that menu!
  • thirdthingthirdthing Posts: 582
    Sounds great to me too!

For our evening reception, we are going to have (I think) jacket potatoes and chili con carne with a veggie chili too, green salads then a range of cakes for pud.

BUT I am not going to tell anyone, because I know we will have people tellling us it isn't traditional etc and making us doubt our choices!
  • Sounds fab! We're having bacon butties served on silver trays- I HATE that part of parties where the band stops and the lights come on for 'the buffet'!
  • nats2013nats2013 Posts: 6,253
    i think its a TERRIBLE food choice idea!

i wouldnt know which to have and my man... well youre serving his two favourite meals !!!!!!

save us some yummies image
  • mrshughes2013mrshughes2013 Posts: 2,063 New bride
    Quoted:
    Hey guys can I get some opinions please....

Personally speaking I am not a fan of 'traditional' buffets and so we are offering a hot choice for our evening guests.

We have chosen mini Fish chips and mushy peas OR Cumberland sausage mash and onion gravy with fresh baked hot bread and chocolate tart and caramel ice-cream. We also have a choc fountain with 12 dips.

Myself and hubby 2 be are having doubts now as some 'annoying' people have thrown their penny worth in saying we should have traditional buffet food (no change there then!!) and this has now made us question our choices.

Sometimes I wish people would just shut their damn mouths.

Would you be happy with this if you were an evening guest??

xxx

I'm drooling-it sounds amazing!

You'll always get some who are annoying or picky but stuff them it's your wedding have what you want!
  • vickywil05vickywil05 Posts: 66
    I think it sounds yummy, and this is for the evening buffet, what normal person goes on a night out and expects pub/club etc to put free food on, so don't worry what they say.
  • heliganedenheliganeden Posts: 1,848
    Sounds great to me, my advise is if people ask, tell them it's a surprise - that way they can't give you their 'opinion' and on the day they won't dare complain image
  • DrBridezillaDrBridezilla Posts: 1,018
    Sounds lovely - can I come?!

I don't like traditional buffets either and i think your food sounds fab. Don't worry about complainers - they can bring a sandwich! We're hopefully having lamb and I know people will moan, I don't care any more image

I think Heliganeden's advice above is great though!

xx
  • jendoojendoo Posts: 166
    Our thinking was- only having about 10 extra guests at night and everyone will be stuffed from our delicious wedding breakfast so our venue is doing rolls and sausage/bacon/veggie. Your choices for evening sound fab especially the dessert n choc fountain. We decided not to have the fountain as with my h2b and his sis combined I don't think there would be much left for the guests, major chocoholics!

Stick to wot u want, let folk stick their oar in smile and then ignore them!
  • I think it sounds amazing and it's a good thing to be different?! And surely people should just be pleased to be coming and not moaning about there not being any sausage rolls?! image x
    Thanks ladies for all your input.

I am defo going to ignore the comments from now on and YES!!!!

YOU ARE ALL INVITED imageimage
  • Sonya102Sonya102 Posts: 52
    Your food sounds lovely and right up my street! We're having bacon/sausage baps and chip cones in the evening. You will always get someone moaning, but it's what you want any no one else x
  • LittleRed_10LittleRed_10 Posts: 1,453
    Sounds really yummy- are any veggies going though?

(out of my 45 guests 23 are veggie so it's something I worry about)
  • MisscluelessMissclueless Posts: 283
    That sounds yummy, I hate buffets I don't like quiche, I'm fussy about my food being cold and the triangle sandwiches always seem to be that little bit stale!! image

I would tend to agree with Jodie though about maybe changing the dessert as I am one of those strange people that don't like chocolate! Lol it could just be a wee bit of a chocolate overload so swapping the day dessert and night dessert would work well!!!

We are having roast pork and stuffing sandwiches with chips for the evening do but I e had some RSVP's that are gluten free so that's stuck a spanner in the works for me!! image
  • mumofb2bmumofb2b Posts: 91
    Missclueless don't forget you can get gluten free bread, ask your caterers to use this, it is a bit pricey but if these guests are caeliac or wheat intolerant they could quite poorly if they eat wheat (my daughter is wheat intolerant).

My daughter and I have just realised that we will have to make a gluten free tier for the wedding cake because there are a couple of wheat intolerant guests.

Good Luck
  • his-smudgehis-smudge Posts: 282
    sounds fab to me! perfect food for after a couple of drinks! xx
  • Mmmm yum your menu sounds fab

I agree with everyone else, it's your day stuff what people say, they'll always be someone moaning about something no matter what you do
  • shoe_gal_84shoe_gal_84 Posts: 769
    We offered fish and chips in cones for the evening guests, as well as wedding cake and a sweet buffet. Everyone commented on how lovely it was!
  • I think it sounds really fun! I'd more than happily eat it image

If they don't like it they don't have to eat it, simples!

Ignore anyone (unless its the church/reception) who says you have to do it this way, you have to do this, you can't have that, that's not normal................it's your day!
  • Kirsty1386Kirsty1386 Posts: 240
    I would be happy with that, the annoying people ignore them do what makes you happy xx