Forum home Receptions

Outdoor reception- legal?

amy-lou-22amy-lou-22 Posts: 1,259
Are there any legal requirements for holding an outdoor reception in a garden? I live in a fairly rural area but have neighbors backing onto the garden. I want to go round and make sure they are ok with the noise that may be going on till midnight.

If they say they are not happy, is there any law that could stop me from using my own garden as a venue?

• nats2013nats2013 Posts: 6,253
    You still can't see alcohol without a licence i don't think and obviously if they complain too much you might get police knocking on your door but other than that its no different from having any other type of party
  • Jog_OnJog_On Posts: 90
    I can't see the problem - its like a garden party, only bigger! The police cannot get involved unless you damage someone else's property or something (noise is considered a civil, not criminal offence) but it seems you're considerate enough to your neighbours to avoid that anyway. Its your wedding, I am sure they will support you x
  • amy-lou-22amy-lou-22 Posts: 1,259
    Thanks guys, very helpful.

If I invite them round in the evening maybe I could avoid the police at the door thing! haha
  • nats2013nats2013 Posts: 6,253
    Plan! hehe

it is a civil thing but at 2am for example itl be the police who come round and give you warnings.

I would have thought if you give your neighbours some warning theyl be ok with it
  • y5c6y5c6 Posts: 467
    Your local council will be able to give you all the advise you need with regards to legalities. If I were you, I would go down that route and just get something in writing from them so you know exactly where you stand x
  • MrsTwizbeMrsTwizbe Posts: 3,355 New bride

I think if you invite them there wont be an issue - if they are there enjoying the party who is going to complain?