Forum home Receptions

Cheese

Can anyone please help me out with their expertise/experience?  For our evening food we're just having pasties, pate and a cheese wedding cake with breads, chutneys etc.  (And actual cake wedding cake)  Two thirds of our guests will only have eaten their 3 course meal a couple of hours before so I'm assuming we don't actually need cheese to feed 120 people - does anyone know how many people we should be aiming to feed so that people don't go hungry but we're not left with lbs and lbs of cheese left over?

Thanks!

• May I ask what type of cheese you will be going for? Our caterers have suggested to have a ''cheese'' board for the evening, should any guests go hungry (we're not having evening food, just a 3 course meal, as only 1 lot of guests). The caterers will serve, but as I don't eat much cheese other than chedder (lol), I wouldn't have a clue what to buy.

• TheNewMrsCTheNewMrsC Posts: 558

We have aprox 100-110 guests for the evening,and our venue are catering for 85. As we are having 60 day guests they will also have eaten a 3-course meal.
    For evening we are having a buffet and a 'cheese' cake too-but also struggling to decide how much cheese to buy!! A lot of my family are big cheese eaters so shouldn't be too much waste! The venue have said to cater for 75% of the overall number of guests - hope this helps a little!

• TitianetteTitianette Posts: 88

Thanks Emzee - it does.

@Alice- well, I'm going  for all British cheeses because I like to buy locally.  I want a Cornish brie, a good cheddar (Keen's  or Montgomery's are always good), a stilton (colston bassett!) or stichelton and then I want a kind of wild card - I'm thinking of garlic Yarg but it could be anything that people would like to try but all may not know - maybe a smoked cheese or sheep's cheese otherwise.  I am not keen on goats - and they tend to be small (the cheeses, not the goats!) - but you could have a goats' cheese if you like them.

• meryloumerylou Posts: 54

our venue's said to cater for 75% of evening guests too

75% of just the evening lot - or 75% of the total number?

• meryloumerylou Posts: 54

sorry... 75% of the total number

• eyu1982eyu1982 Posts: 3

I'm going  for all British cheeses because I like to buy locally.

Thanks - two identical answers has to mean this is The Law of cheese.

• tripqueentripqueen Posts: 222

assume 100g per person, roughly, and like others said for about 75% of your guestsimage