Do you have too have a Reception?

Unfortunatley, we have had a massive blow to our budget and can no longer afford a wedding breakfast and evening reception.  We can't make cuts anywhere ese as we were being tight on everything else anyway.

We are getting married in a gorgeous country house with lovely grounds, would it be ok to just have the ceremony, then a drinks reception and snacks (maybe a small buffett on the patio) and some garden games for a cuple of hours - and then expect epople to go home?

Will guests mind that it's only for a few hours?  We were going to have the big wedding reception and evening receptio but we just can't afford it now as our budget has been cut in half!!

Any help or advice would be welcomed image

Thank you xx

• Hi, I'm sure your guests will be grateful just to see you get married (or should be!)

But, Will you be happy that your celebrations will be over in a couple of hours?

What time are you getting married?

If you get married late afternoon- poeple can have lunch before the wedding. 

In the evening (7pm) you could have a buffet- either made by yourself or family/friends or even hog roast- these can work out at little as £6 per head (in the midlands anyway and then party into the evening- you wouldn't have to 'cut short' the day then and send people home... Just an thought image

xx

• Angie jAngie j Posts: 448

I think it will be ok, you could just call it a drinks reception & throw in some nibbles/canapies. We are getting married late afternoon then back to the Hotel for drinks then will be inviting more guests to arrive from 7pm for a buffet & disco. We are on a tight budget too. 

Like Mrs.P 2b says, you would hope your friends & family would just be happy to come & celebrate your wedding ceremony. But having said that if they have travelled a long way & have to stay in a Hotel too maybe they might thnk it's a bit off! 

I am hoping as ours is late in the day they will all have a decent lunch, will be dropping some hints nearer the time lol.

• BanariBanari Posts: 1,847

I think it will be more than fine as long as the guests know.

Maybe put on the invites for example ... from 1pm - 6pm ... that way it won't be a surprise on the day and if people are travelling they will know they have time to drive home again so won't book into a hotel!

You can do the day however works best for you and what you have described above sounds like a lovely day and if the guests no in advance it's not all day and not a sit down meal/full on BBQ they will also love the day ... Happy planning image

I think it will be more than fine as long as the guests know.

Maybe put on the invites for example ... from 1pm - 6pm, light refreshments and garden games to follow the ceremony... that way it won't be a surprise on the day, people can eat a bigger breakfast and if people are travelling they will know they have time to drive home again so won't book into a hotel!

You can do the day however works best for you and what you have described above sounds like a lovely day and if the guests no in advance it's not all day and not a sit down meal/full on BBQ they will also love the day ... Happy planning image

Sorry not sure why that posted twice ... I was trying to edit to add the bit in about light refreshments and it duplicated the post .. Forum does like being difficult image

• Hannah85Hannah85 Posts: 209

Thank you all for your comments I feel much better about it now!Mrs P, we had booked to get married at 1pm but have only paid deposit to the registrar so hopefully we can change it. 

Angie , what time are you having your ceremony? I might look into just having the evening, but then theres a further charge for the room, and will need Buffett for evening guests and DJ, so the cost shoots up again, will look not it though,thank u.  Can I also ask are u doing speeches? And if your doing these before or after the evening guests arrive?

and like you said Barnari, as long as people know whats happening they won't be expecting a big 3 course wedding breakfast

• I went to a wedding that was just the ceremony followed by afternoon tea - it was over by mid-afternoon and then everyone went home. It was fine, still a lovely day!
  • Angie jAngie j Posts: 448

Hannah, we are getting married at 3.45 the latest we are allowed at the Registry office. Then onto the Hotel about 15/20 mins drive for an arrival drink, maybe canapies. So that will be from about 5pm, photos will be done at the Hotel as the grounds are lovely & its not that nice at the Reg office. Our DJ cost £300 & we are not apying room hire to the hotel as its a Friday as long as we cater for at least 50 with the buffet. 

We are not having any speeches as we are trying to keep the whole thing after the actual ceremony as informal as poss, more like a party celebration. It staken me 30 years to get my man to propose & if I said he had to do aspeech it would tip him over the edge!! His best man also said he didnt want to do it if he had to make a speech. What's up with these men lol. 

If you need to change your time to later, do it. there may be a small fee but might be worth it in the end. 

You could do an ipod type of thing for your music if you dont want to pay a dj? 

Im also doing my own sweet table so my guests can fill up a bit more on sweeties lol if the buffet falls a bit short, hopefully not though. I have bought jars etc in sales & buying them bit by bit to spred the cost. Will try & get the sweets nearer the time fairly cheaply. Might do some cake pops too. 

• maggi68maggi68 Posts: 166

What about holding an evening reception elsewhere? Somewhere cheaper?

We're getting married abroad but having an evening reception when we get back. We looked at lots of wedding type venues but have decided on a venue that's actually a masonic lodge. It's really nicely decorated inside and  they hold tons of weddings. The room hire is free and the buffet is a decent price too (around £6 per head for a hot buffet).

There's lots of places near us like nice country pubs that have function rooms too and they are generally not that expensive. 

• We're not planning on having an evening reception, just drinks and canapes followed by afternoon tea. If people want to hang around, then we can stay in the hotel bar, so there won't be a final point where everyone has to leave. H2B and I are then planning on going out for an evening meal, just the two of us, so that we can actually spend some time with each other on our wedding day! 

• Hannah85Hannah85 Posts: 209

Hi ladies thanks for your help, our venue ended up giving us a huge discount on wedding breakfast and evening buffet so have booked it. Just shows what discounts they can give!