Really dodgy reviews of our Hotel online!

We are having a late afternoon  civil ceremony (reg office) then going onto a Hotel for our reception which will be basically a party! No speeches or sit down meals, will have a buffet & DJ.

Ever since we booked it last year it has had  average to bad reviews on Trip Advisor. I contacted a couple of reviewers that had been married there previously & they reassured me that although fairly basic it was fine. Food not gourmet but ok. We are having a small wedding on a small budget so it suited us fine.  BUT some of the reviews for the accommodation in the last few months have been awful. The last one is horrific, saying they found a used condom in the room!!! Sorry if  tmi.

So, now I am really worried about the state of the rooms, mainly the cleanliness. When we went to put a deposit down last year I voiced my concerns to the wedding planner about the bad reviews & she reassured me they had sorted out any issues & the whole Hotel had had a major clean up. Seems they have let things slip again, badly. 

We will probably have only 7/8 friends staying over night there and one of them is my best friend who is extremely fussy! I cant bear her to see the reviews she will freak. Its £75 a night so not exactly dirt cheap. The trouble is its a few miles to another Hotel & Im sure people would rather just stagger upstairs rather than book cabs to somewhere else or not drink & drive home.

What do I do now? Do I send out invites & tell them some rooms are reserved for my guests or give them the option of staying somewhere else? Bit awkward. Do I pitch up to the Hotel in the morning & demand to inspect the rooms my guests have reserved. (Take  a bottle of bleach! lol) 

Kept thinking about this when I went to bed last night. image

• Snowy xSnowy x Posts: 1,100

I wouldn't worry too much, whilst the used condom sounds awful this may have been a one time slip, and it also depends where they found it?! 99% of places get bad reviews online because a lot of people don't bother reviewing something unless they have something to complain about.

I managed a hotel previously, and once had a guest complain because he found dust on the light bulb!

• Angie jAngie j Posts: 448

Thanks for the reply Snowy. If this latest review was one of a couple of bad ones I wouldnt worry but its getting to the stage now that it only gets the odd average to good review, majority are awful & its always to do with the lack of cleaning, poor food & the management just not being interested. To be fair I was warned by someone I know before I booked it that the management are useless & dont do any maintenance on the property. 

Btw, the condom was found in the bathroom in a bag along with hairballs on the floor. Doesnt sound like anyone cleaned the room at all!

I am starting to look at other Hotels that will be a cab ride away so that I can give my guests an option of staying there even though it will be more expensive. 

• PoppinsPoppins Posts: 3,146

I have a similar problem, but I'm going with the fact that I booked the venue for our wedding not for the accommodation. There have been a few bad reviews about our venue which worries me but like Snowy said, those people will go online to moan but the people who've had a f ab stay won't go online to review x

• Snowy xSnowy x Posts: 1,100

In that case your right, it does sound like they just hadn't cleaned at all. You should perhaps address the hotel directly with your concerns, and see what there response is.

As I said before I did confront the wedding planner about previous reviews & she told me that they had learnt a lesson, the Hotel had had a deep clean, kitchen & rooms & it wouldn't happen again. I will speak or email her on Monday but I just know she will reassure me that this was a one off & it wont happen again. But this is what she said last time. 

I was shown around the bridal suite & a couple of other rooms when we paid the deposit last year & they were a bit dated/basic but fairly clean. Its not the fact that they aren't anything special that worries me its the filth! 

I have emailed another Hotel about a mile or more away & they have replied that they are free that night but they only have 8 rooms. They are really nice, fab reviews but of course are more expensive. Should I just suggest this Hotel in the invites or what? Getting a bit stressed about it all now. If they stayed there it would mean arranging cabs from the venue to the over night Hotel. But then I have the logistics of the Reg Office first. What would people do with their cars that would be at the venue Hotel! Oh dear, getting bit flustered now  image 

• MrsBeau2BMrsBeau2B Posts: 1,513

I think you should give people the option of both, but i'm sure your hotel will be ok. I appreciate £75 isn't cheap, but they wont really be spending much time in the room, as it will mainly be somewhere to crash after the wedding.

Don't worry about cars - the rooms at our venue got filled up quickly and so people stayed at another around 5 miles away and got cabs back to the hotel, or lifts with people that had driven back. We had a gettingmarried.co.uk site for our wedding and there was a bit on there for people looking to lift share which was really helpful.

Maybe arrange another venue visit closer to the time and see for yourself? Then you can directly address any problems

Thanks MrsBeau2B I woke up early thinking about this. Maybe I am now starting to blow it out of proportion. Ive started googling trading standards for Hotels!  I think we will book appointment next week to go & see the wedding planner, will email her first re my concerns. Maybe I will feel better after that. 

I think my H2b will also go down late morning & do a bit of an inspection as our wedding isnt until 3.45 (it wont take him long to get ready lol)  At least he could have a quicky nosey around a few rooms. He might even stay there the night before to get ready on the day anyway. 

Thanks for your help girls x

• Try not to worry too much. Any wedding I have been too before has included a list of local hotels in the invite and then its been up to the guest to sort out and book. If guests want to stay elsewhere, then its up to them to sort out a taxi etc. I would ever expect the bride and groom to be worrying about such things!