Home Made Jam v Retro Sweets - Favour Ideas

Hello,

I have approx 2 months and 2 weeks to go til the big day and am still umming and aahing about the favours. I originally was going to buy retro sweets in bulk and fill up the favour jars, but someone suggested home made jam.

I like the idea of strawberry jam, but wondering how long it will take to fill 80 small Ikea jars and also the cost element, as I presume it needs a lot of fruit, which may mean it may be cheaper for sweets? Anyone made jam who can offer any advice on the cost or time it may take? Thank you image

• natsxonatsxo Posts: 268

im doing strawberry jam image it's not as costly as you think I think my grandma said for 30 jars it would be around 30£ it's more the prepping time, go to wholesaler for strawberries or ask for a deal at a fruit shop my grandparents did and getting the straws at cost price, hope this helps xx

• Thanks Natsxo.

How big are your jars as 30 jars for £30 seems quite expensive?

How long does it take to make as I'm worried about not having enough time to practice, prep and make them all?

• herstoryherstory Posts: 1,268

I think time not money here is they key thing. I will be honest at least half my favours got left, although the children and some of the big kids that attend were very happy when I said they could take another one or two each.

I got 90 jars for 35 on ebay, but to make the jam decent, you need proper jam sugar and the wax fillers for the top, I wouldnt e to bothered usually but because they are gifts, I'd rather do it properly, I have also spent on nice stickers and some fabric with strawberrys on for the tops of the jars, my jars are 8 oz, and we wanted proper delish strawberries instead of buying cheap as it make the strawberries quite bitter, xx

I have no idea how long it takes my grandmas and granda are doing it as a favour for me as they aren't giving money but make meannnn n jam and chutneys image xx

• I think you're right, HerStory - I think time might be an issue so might have to go for the easy option and buy sweets. I don't mind if there are extra jars left as I can also take them into work for people. 

I'm so jealous, Natsxo! Sounds great. I would have liked to do it the proper way with nice ingredients, but think I don't have enough time to do everything now. 

Thanks for everyone's comments! image

• Spam88Spam88 Posts: 1,001

If you do go with jam, you can also buy frozen strawberries which work out a fair bit cheaper image