Guest Books

We're having a small wedding -about 40 people- and I'm wondering if a guest book is worth the hassle of doing? 

I've been thinking of doing a small fingerprint tree or getting guests to sign something alternative like a guitar or a piece of initialed salvaged wood but H2B doesn't think our guests will bother with it.

Just want to hear of peoples opinions of guests books and if guests embraced or ignored them!

• Jo35Jo35 Posts: 305

Hi we are only having a small wedding 15 guests so we decided to have a signing frame when our photos are done we will put one in the centre of it  x

• SofiaF82SofiaF82 Posts: 177

Oooo that's a good idea Jo!

• Jo35Jo35 Posts: 305

We had the frame personalised with our names at the top and date at the bottom just hope they stay sober long enough to be able to sign it imagex

• Jomc11Jomc11 Posts: 484

We got a frame as well, I'm just hoping they all behave when signing it lol but I also got a lovely guest book, think it be nice to look back every now & then to read it, more room in that fur something heartfelt than on the frame, so I was thinking the frame might just be more of an attendance list so to speak whereas the book more for the message 

• Spam88Spam88 Posts: 1,001

I don't think it's that much effort really - you only have to buy a book and a pen and give someone the job of making sure everyone signs it!  And then you've got a lovely keepsake. My Mum did a similar thing for my hen do and it's lovely reading the messages from everyone image  With only 40 guests as well you shouldn't have too much of a job getting everyone to write in it.

• EmmaB91EmmaB91 Posts: 85

We're having a frame for everyone to sign round it, but I don't expect people to write a message their, there won't be much room. 

May have a guestbook as well, as they aren't expensive. 

I like the idea of the thumb print tree, I've seen that on pinterest before image

x

• hautocrafthautocraft Posts: 263 New bride

I think you should definitely have a guest book.  Like others have said previously, it's a nice memento/keepsake to read back image

You can buy small ones or larger ones depending on how many guests you are catering for, so you don't have to worry that you won't fill the book up.

babybluegirl

• SheandHimSheandHim Posts: 379

My sister had a very small wedding but still had a guest book. It got passed around each table rather than being on a separate table somewhere and everyone signed it.

• Jomc11Jomc11 Posts: 484
    EmmaB91 wrote (see)

We're having a frame for everyone to sign round it, but I don't expect people to write a message their, there won't be much room. 

May have a guestbook as well, as they aren't expensive. 

I like the idea of the thumb print tree, I've seen that on pinterest before image

x

That was the reason we got both as didnt think there be much room, but I liked the thought of being able to have the frame on permanent display in our house, so got both, going to send the youngest bridesmaid around with it at nighttime lol

• SofiaF82SofiaF82 Posts: 177
    SheandHim wrote (see)

My sister had a very small wedding but still had a guest book. It got passed around each table rather than being on a separate table somewhere and everyone signed it.

Oooo I like this idea, have a wee book to pass round for lengthy messages and then an arty one that I can stick in a frame after!

• Nat 1479Nat 1479 Posts: 145

Personally, I hate guest books! I have been to loads of weddings and have always given a card with a heartfelt message, why do I need to repeat myself? The thumb print tree sounds  like a great idea! 

• Hullass1972Hullass1972 Posts: 547 New bride

Whilst trawling through Pintrest for alternative guest books I came across wooden initials that had been painted cream and everyone wrote their messages on them and they were wall mounted once varnished. My cousin is a joiner so I asked him to do something on that theme and he's come up with this:

It will be sprayed cream and gold Sharpies will be provided for people's use.

• We're thinking of having message cards instead of a book (something along the lines of this http://www.notonthehighstreet.com/lovefaithandhope/product/pack-of-25-classic-wedding-guest-message-cards) that we'll put on the tables at the reception.

I also saw this  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141565979005?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT   which I thought was quite a nice idea and might work well with a small number of guests....