Forum home Receptions

Catering question

Hello all,

I have a quick question about catering. Our ceremony is at 2pm & we were due to have afternoon tea around 4pm & then have a hog roast at 7pm. After reading wedding magazines, looking through websites it seems like people who are getting married in the afternoon seem to just have the hog roast and no wedding breakfast because the hog roast seems to go quite far, portion wise.

Our wedding is quite intimate with only 50 guests, it is going to be relaxed so I think that having a hog roast where people can just mill around would work best. 

Any thoughts? My partner & I have different thoughts on this. I think that there will be a surplus of food but he thinks we should serve a wedding breakfast to be traditional alongside the speeches and then the hog roast for the evening.

Thanks in advance 

• rainbooboorainbooboo Posts: 545

Are you asking whether you should have both or just the hog roast? I think if you have both then your food will be too close together - it will take an hour or two to have the afternoon tea then you will be serving more food an hour later.

If you want both I would suggest hog roast later, say 8.30/9pm. Or if you just want the do the hog roast in the afternoon put some nibbles out later around 8.30/9 again as people will be peckish by then x

• MrsM3MrsM3 Posts: 138

I agree with Rainbooboo.  I think if you do both that close together, you won't get many people eat the hog roast :) x

• TheLegacyofMrsMTheLegacyofMrsM Posts: 2,188 New bride

We got married at noon and served a formal wedding breakfast. We originally said to our caterers about a hog roast in the evening and they said in.their opinion it would be wasted as people would still be full from their main meal. We ended up having a pork pie tower and cheese board for the evening and served the wedding cake and that was the right amount of food.

• Jenni8Jenni8 Posts: 3,201

I think afternoon tea and hog roast is a lvoely combination and that you should have both, but maybe move the hog roast slightly later at around 8-9pm otherwise people will still be full from the afternoon tea and then get hungry later like 11pm. 

• Thank you for all of your help, we have decided to keep both the afternoon tea & the hog roast but I have a feeling we will be eating pork for the week afterwards 

• Charlotte237Charlotte237 Posts: 274 New bride

Just to say - your schedule sounds almost identical to mine! Except I'm doing BBQ instead of Hog Roast, and getting married at 2:30pm not 2pm, but otherwise the same! I was wondering the same as you, but I think it's better to over-feed your guests than underfeed them! also my friend did afternoon tea and hog roast and we were all ready to eat again by the hog roast (7ish) - I think it's the alcohol; people eat more at a wedding than they would do normally :)