Wedding band - how much are you paying?

Good morning all,

Can I be cheeky and ask how much you are paying for a band to play at the evening do of your wedding? I'm getting quotes at the moment and want to be able to compare - particularly since my OH thinks they are all very expensive. Our wedding will be in Warwickshire, on a Saturday in September. We want a band for 2x 45 mins or 2x60min slots, preferably with a dj set in between. I know it's nosey but I would be interested to know what sort of quotes you have been given (I realise it will vary based on geography, travel etc)

Thanks in advance.

• I would say it also depends on what kind of band you want and how in demand they are... I initially wanted a traditional Jazz trio for my drinks reception, however, as we will be outside I've gone for a sax cover player instead (my favourite instrument). Initially, I was getting quotes between £90-£225 per 45 minute set. I also saw prices that were MUCH hire and some that were cheaper that was the general ballpark. 

PS I am based in London

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 3,532 New bride

We had a quote that was around £1500 for a band. Couldn't find anything much cheaper either! Going with a DJ instead :P

• Sophie177Sophie177 Posts: 190

We're having a group called Fingers & Fumbs (2 guys on guitar) and they are costing 400 for the whole night - they'll do a dj session in between 2 sets.

x

• MrsG2bxxMrsG2bxx Posts: 868

We are still deciding - we have found one band that does all current song covers (3 people) and that is £1,500 for the evening with a DJ to play in-between sets OR the alternative is a motown band (5 people) with a DJ to play in-between and they are £3,000! Motown is our fave but double the amount! at the moment we cant justify it as there are still important things to book and buy xxx

• Kimberley23Kimberley23 Posts: 167

We are at £3,000 for our band for 3 x 45 set in London (and that's with a discount!) 

• Thanks everyone. The cheapest we have found has been £1200 but the prices really do vary. Good point about 'what type of band' too. We have been looking at covers bands/typical wedding bands but I'm going to have a look at other styles now too - Motown would be amazing! 

• Emma417Emma417 Posts: 241

We're playing £1,000 for a band (guitar, keyboard, drums) and dj. 2 x 45 min sets and 3 x 30 min dj. We're south east.

• We are planning quite a laid back wedding reception and we have a few musical friends. Our current idea is to ask friends to play 45 minute sets as the gift to us and then after a certain time having an Ipod on shuffle (so everyone can enjoy and not worry about drinking before their set). So far we've got 2 friends who are more than happy to do this for us and quite a few more musical friends who we haven't approached yet (we're just testing the water at this point). 

• CE26CE26 Posts: 347 New bride

Ours are a 4 piece - theyre charging £950 for 2x45 min sets and a DJ service is included. 

We had another quote for £1200 but they were a 5 piece and they wanted some more money on top for the DJ services. 

Both bands were local to us so no real travelling involved. 

• NightsparkNightspark Posts: 566

I'm getting married in warwickshire and our band searches were looking at a minimum of 1k for something decent, we have a DJ with our wedding package and actually decided to scrap the band idea as our DJ will take requests, have Song request on the RSVP's and have us and our guests decide the music on the night - we put the money towards the honeymoon instead :)

• Pf2016Pf2016 Posts: 590 New bride

I really really wanted a band but couldn't justify the price (£1500-2000).  So we booked the DJ, I sent him a 12 hour long playlist of all the songs we loved, he played solidly from it for 4 hours and we had THE BEST night.  Live bands are great but we have no regrets about our DJ.  It was booked through the venue and cost £350 (presumably the venue marked up the price a little.)  I emailed the DJ the next day to thank him and he replied to say he'd never known a wedding with so much dancing.  (One of the consequences of all the dancing was a glass of red wine down my dress which will never come out, but that's a price I'm willing to pay for such a fantastic night.)  So I just wanted to say, if anyone is wobbling about a DJ, don't worry about it, as long as they play the right music you can still have a fantastic time.

• Emma236Emma236 Posts: 215

We were £1,500 (4 hour set with 30 min break) for our 3-man band in Central Scotland.  It was rather more than I had wanted to pay but the band were incredible so well worth the money and our dancefloor was full all night, exactly as I had wanted it.

• Thanks everyone, your comments are really helpful. I've suggested going with a dj but my OH is dead set on a band. Unfortunately he's not dead set on helping to look for one...You are very lucky to have such talented and generous friends, CherryCoke. I bet it will make your special day even more personal and memorable.

Where are you getting married Nightspark? We are having the ceremony at Stratford upon Avon Town Hall and the reception at Alveston Pastures Farm.

• Ours are £1100 plus tax of about £200 as getting married in Italy! They'll be there the whole evening till 2am, said normally would do about 3 45 min sets live and music in between plus do disco afterwards! So think it'll be worth it 😄 theyre a two piece xx

• VodkaQueenVodkaQueen Posts: 74

We have a guitarist in Scotland for £500 - he will play 3 x 40 minute sets with 20 minutes music from an ipod in between - I thought this was very reasonable.

We are having trouble with our party back here in The Netherlands.  Friends of ours are in a band but don't want to play as they don't want to be seen as a 'wedding band' and another band we know say that they are not used to playing to such a small crown (and they were a little out of our budget).  So we are thinking about having a ceilidh band instead - it would certainly impress all our Dutch friends :)

• Jane131Jane131 Posts: 1

live arranged a band for my daughters wedding ..they are charging £1000 but would have normally been £1500 when booked through agent !!

its a lot of money but I've justified it as a ' one off ' im sure it will be great !

• NightsparkNightspark Posts: 566
    DaisyFields wrote (see post):

Thanks everyone, your comments are really helpful. I've suggested going with a dj but my OH is dead set on a band. Unfortunately he's not dead set on helping to look for one...You are very lucky to have such talented and generous friends, CherryCoke. I bet it will make your special day even more personal and memorable.

Where are you getting married Nightspark? We are having the ceremony at Stratford upon Avon Town Hall and the reception at Alveston Pastures Farm.

Maybe other half needs to get involved, play the 'I can't find anything decent' card ;)

Stratford is lovely! I'm getting married at Warwick House in Southam :)

• Hi

i am lead singer of a wedding band. Check us out on www.theemeralds.co.uk

helen xx

• I would expect a good trio pop/rock band to cost min £1200. Make sure they have lots of testimonials and see if you can watch them before you book. There's a great band called The Tricks that have played at two of my friends Weddings (one in France and one in UK) and they're going to play at ours. They play public gigs around London and have loads of great testimonials. 

http://www.thetrickslive.com/

• There's some good info on a site called FixTheMusic:

A good rule of thumb is that the cost per musician in a wedding band is roughly £250 to £300, so an acoustic duo would charge in the region of £500 to £600, a three-piece band charges approximately £750 to £900 and a four-piece band would cost about £1,000 to £1,200 to hire for the evening’s entertainment.

https://www.fixthemusic.com/blog/cost-of-hiring-a-wedding-band-2017/

• I play in a Scottish-based wedding band, 5-piece with male & female vocals and we'd typically charge £1000-£1200 depending on travelling etc. That's for 3 1/2 hours of music, 8-12 with a 30 min break. No DJ but we're always happy to play a set list from an iPod that the B&G have put together. 

• There's a good article here on the prices, what to expect etc. 

Very handy and written in 2017 so is very up to date:

www.funksake.co.uk/paying-for-wedding-function-band/

• Ours is £1650 for a five piece soul/funk band. Music is playing a big part in our day and this was something really important to h2b that he was quite specific on. 

• We are paying £800 for a 4 piece rock/alternative band they will be playing for 3 hours with a dj set for an hour before hand during a half an hour break and for a few hours after.