Pizza for the reception?

Do you think this is a good idea? We're not having a sit down meal as it's so expensive but we like the idea of having pizza in the evening but I'm unsure if this is a good idea or not.

• wed172Bwed172B Posts: 1,258

We are having a sit down in the day and then a pizza van for the evening  The van we went for was also set up for doing the main wedding breakfast so it's definitely been done and I think why not! I think pizza is something everyone likes and is a bit fun without being silly or impractical 

• rammgeistrammgeist Posts: 62
    wed172B wrote (see post):

We are having a sit down in the day and then a pizza van for the evening  The van we went for was also set up for doing the main wedding breakfast so it's definitely been done and I think why not! I think pizza is something everyone likes and is a bit fun without being silly or impractical 

Is your reception indoors? Mine will be inside as I'm hoping to get married next October so I'm a bit worried about it being impractical to have a pizza van outside.

We are getting married this November and the reception is indoors and people will just pop outside to get their pizza

• Tanya128Tanya128 Posts: 1,993

Ooh yum who doesn't love pizza? Go for it!

• Helen225Helen225 Posts: 861 New bride

Oh my gosh, I LOVE this idea!

• Dora3Dora3 Posts: 1,218

We are having pizza for our evening reception. We have other bits too but it's mainly pizza and we love it! 

if it's what you want then go for it. H2B is on a strict diet and I'm craving pizza so much! Luckily for me, wedding is in 4 weeks so I'm looking forward to devouring as much as I can once I'm in my dress lol. 

• LucykinsLucykins Posts: 701

I went to a wedding where they just ordered loads of pizzas for the evening and we really enjoyed it!

We are having an indoor reception with a fish and chip van outside, and I'm hoping that'll work fine! Fingers crossed no rain as I don't want guests to have to queue in that! 

• We're having pizza for our evening food; its a mobile company but they have a real wood fire to make them.  We both love pizza so it was the obvious choice!

We're also getting married in October with the reception inside but the pizza outside.

Do it!

• MrsNolanMrsNolan Posts: 683 New bride

Omg don't let my fiancé see this idea or we may need to rethink our whole wedding lol x

• MrsMGMrsMG Posts: 359

I think pizza and fast food in general is great for a reception meal. Personally, I'd much rather have that than some fancy meal I've never even heard of and that comes in a tiny portion and costs an absolute fortune. We're having a buffet at a local hotel for our reception meal.

SoontobeMG wrote (see post):

I think pizza and fast food in general is great for a reception meal. Personally, I'd much rather have that than some fancy meal I've never even heard of and that comes in a tiny portion and costs an absolute fortune. We're having a buffet at a local hotel for our reception meal.

Defini Agree with this! We are having pie and mash etc for our sir down and then a wood fired pizza van for the evening food food without the lardy dah!! H2B hates fancy food in tiny portions lol he'd still be hungry!

• MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

Will there be anything other than pizza? Id be pretty hungry and disappointed if the only food was pizza, I just find it too greasy and slimey. But if theres chips as well Id eat them.

• LeeLawLeeLaw Posts: 107 New bride

We are having pizza for our main meal. Using a mobile pizza company who cook in the back of Land Rovers. We're having roast potatoes, salads and charcuterie boards along side the pizza so there are plenty of options if people don't want pizza! I'm super excited about it all :)

• Dora3Dora3 Posts: 1,218
    wed172B wrote (see post):
    SoontobeMG wrote (see post):

Defini Agree with this! We are having pie and mash etc for our sir down and then a wood fired pizza van for the evening food food without the lardy dah!! H2B hates fancy food in tiny portions lol he'd still be hungry!

This is the same as us!!! Pie and mash for the sit down meal and wood fired pizzas an option for the evening. We've also got Cornish pastys (getting married in Cornwall) and some other bits as well which I can't remember 😂

This is the same as us!!! Pie and mash for the sit down meal and wood fired pizzas an option for the evening. We've also got Cornish pastys (getting married in Cornwall) and some other bits as well which I can't remember 😂

Love it :) gotta have Cornish pasty's in Cornwall! 

• MrsC2018MrsC2018 Posts: 191 New bride

We are planning on wood fired oven pizza for the evening do. They come and cook and serve until it's gone. 

Sadly there will be no alternative so hoping all our guests like it (MrsJ, I hope you're not one of our guests. haha). There may be some cake left from our dessert buffet though?

• MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

I imagine my invite was lost in the post, but I can happily fill up on cake 😁

• britbirdbritbird Posts: 1,474 New bride

We are looking at a pizza oven for our evening reception.  I love the idea, as does my OH.

• rammgeistrammgeist Posts: 62

Thanks for the replies everyone, I feel better about this decision now! Though my mum is making me doubt it as I told her and she said that my grandparents, her and a couple of other family members won't eat pizza. 

• MrsC2018MrsC2018 Posts: 191 New bride

Don't doubt yourself Rammgeist, order what you and H2B want and stick to it. Otherwise it will get complicated.

I'm not sure what my mam will make of the daytime food (cold buffet style) as she is a really fussy eater. It will likely be too fancy for her (some options are Rosemary chicken, lemon chicken, Beef salsa). Also she has moreorless said that she won't do an afternoon tea hen do either so not sure what kind of do I would have to have to invite her (I wouldn't want my mam on a night out or weekend away with me). Whilst I want to accommodate, she makes it difficult and the more people I bend our decisions for, the more complicated it will be. Keep reminding myself that it is OUR day

• Hey, late to the party but noticed this post when Googling "pizzas at a wedding".

I have run The Pizza Project for 7 years, and we've catered for 100s of weddings. We usually get contacted by brides-to-be (and some husbands-to-be!) who have a lot of the same questions as you.

We've written a few blogs to try and answer these kinds of questions, but in short - wedding guests love pizza, whether it's served formally or informally and it's a cost-effective way to feed guests a variety of flavours - vegan/gluten-free options can also be looked after easily too. At most events we allow for a certain amount of leftovers that are served up as a late-night snack too!

The ovens can be a centre-piece, with guests mingling around to watch the live-action pizza action, or they can be hidden away, it totally depends on what your preference is.

Feel free to get in touch with us with any questions at all about serving pizzas at weddings