Gust music requests

Laura349Laura349 Posts: 996 New bride

It's supposed to say Guest! (that's what you get for typing so fast and not realising! haha) 

I have been thinking about what music we may have at our wedding... I've asked my h2b and as he's been in a daft mood he's come up with all sorts of silly songs (which we may consider at the reception because it's very much him!) 

But I was wondering if anyone has thought about having cards on the tables for the guests to request songs they'd like to the DJ? 

Or is this unheard of? 

Thanks 

• wed172Bwed172B Posts: 1,258

No i think this has been done before but you'd need to liaise with the DJ to see if they were happy to have a bunch of requests on the day, some will some wont i'd guess. We are asking for a song request on our RSVPs so that's another option

• Laura349Laura349 Posts: 996 New bride
    wed172B wrote (see post):

No i think this has been done before but you'd need to liaise with the DJ to see if they were happy to have a bunch of requests on the day, some will some wont i'd guess. We are asking for a song request on our RSVPs so that's another option

Ooo! I never thought about that. - Thank you! 

We're finding it really hard to think of songs to have for ceremony and reception! Usually we can think of loads of songs, but at the moment our minds are going blank! 

• MrsNolanMrsNolan Posts: 683 New bride

We've put a song request slip in our invite to be returned with RSVPs.  Check with your DJ if requests on the day are alright, but if your guests are likely to want more obscure songs it may be best for him to have them prior if he needs to download them 

• Victoria197Victoria197 Posts: 722 New bride

We asked for song requests on the back of our rsvps and didn't get one...people just wrote something catchy or any pop song not helpful at all.

Laura349 wrote (see post):
    wed172B wrote (see post):

Ooo! I never thought about that. - Thank you! 

We're finding it really hard to think of songs to have for ceremony and reception! Usually we can think of loads of songs, but at the moment our minds are going blank! 

We are struggling with ceremony and first dance song. Its so hard to pick one song that you like / seems special and also appropriate to the occasion. I think for the daytime music ie wedding breakfast we will just have the music we have on our ipod and not think too hard on that one as its only background music, but i'm so stuck on a first dance song and already bored of thinking about it lol

• MrsJamesMrsJames Posts: 405 New bride

When we first started looking at song choices we were a bit lost, in the end I googled wedding playlists to get a few ideas.

I also found my old ipod classic the other month so we went through that and picked out our favourites and added them in too.

• bella2015bella2015 Posts: 1,903 New bride

We put a list together of songs we really liked (me and my husbands choices) and gave it to the dj before the big day to make sure he had everything. This is because we like alternative/indie music and a lot of it you don't tend to hear played at weddings. The intention was to have this mixed in with the usual chart music along with some old classics, 80's, 90's music etc. I did deliberately tell the DJ we didn't want anything like Agadoo, Grease mix, Cotton Eye Joe etc as we hate that sort of thing!!

However, on the day my husband's mother/aunty kept making requests for soul and motown music so it was all the dj really played on the night (with some of our songs mixed in) and in hindsight I wished I'd said to the dj that whilst guest requests are welcome they need to be limited, as I swear they were literally going up one after the other to request something and it got very repetitive in the end. 

I might just put song request parts in the invites! 

We're the same as you bella2015 we hate the agadoo type music! Lol. 

We've got a few songs in mind, but it won't be enough to last the whole reception. 

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 3,841 New bride

We asked for song requests but didn't get any back with the RSVPs, I don't think most people bother. However I did go to a wedding where they had song request cards on the tables and they were very popular, everyone filled them in!

• lubeslubes Posts: 1,555

My husband is an occasional wedding DJ as his bit on the side  (He used to do it all the time a few years back before his actual job got too demanding!).

He puts request slips out on the night for guests and finds out a few do and don't songs from the couple in advance. Every DJ works differently, so I'd check with yours how they like to run things. I know some DJs want entire playlists practically whereas my husband likes to know where he can and can't go, and tailors the music to who is on the floor. He doesn't play every request (especially if it's something the couple didn't request - cheese comes up a lot!), but he uses them as a springboard. You need to be careful with expectations when it comes to requests too - the song you'd like to hear verses what will keep the dancefloor full are two very different things! If I had a pound for every time a wedding guest has moaned about 'You haven't played my song!'

The only big advice I can give to couples as someone who has been to a LOT of wedding receptions in the nine years I've been with my husband is to not go too crazy on requests and see them more as an indication to the DJ of what genres and artists you and your guests like. A prime example is a wedding we did at the weekend. The groom LOVED 90s dance music and literally only wanted that playing all night. My husband started the night with some more generic chart floorfillers (as per guest requests - you don't want 'Toca's Miracle' at 8pm really 😂) and the groom stormed up to us and demanded that the music be changed, even though there were dancers. It killed the floor for a good hour until the drink kicked in, but then we had other guests complaining instead 

Basically, if you want a full dance floor, couples need to accept that you need to cater to everyone and request slips are really helpful for that  x

Thanks Sammykate & lubes - I think request cards on the tables is the way to go! 

• AlisonMaryAlisonMary Posts: 210

We had a "We promise to dance if you play" space on our RSVPs

H2Bs friends didn't take it very seriously though....!

And I am sorry we asked, as we got a few Ed Sheeran and Shania Twain requests *shiver* haha x

AlisonMary wrote (see post):

We had a "We promise to dance if you play" space on our RSVPs

H2Bs friends didn't take it very seriously though....!

And I am sorry we asked, as we got a few Ed Sheeran and Shania Twain requests *shiver* haha x

Haha! I'm dreading the request from dome people! Haha - I know some people won't take it seriously at all! lol. 

• Helen225Helen225 Posts: 861 New bride

Also bear in mind if you put it on the invites, you get people like me who will hold up their RSVP until the last minute as I hate dancing!!! I'm not proud to say I've been chased for RSVPs purely for this reason but you should have seen me sweating every night trying to think of a bloody song I could get away with hopefully someone not remembering I 'requested' it and dragging me up!! 

Helen225 wrote (see post):

Also bear in mind if you put it on the invites, you get people like me who will hold up their RSVP until the last minute as I hate dancing!!! I'm not proud to say I've been chased for RSVPs purely for this reason but you should have seen me sweating every night trying to think of a bloody song I could get away with hopefully someone not remembering I 'requested' it and dragging me up!! 

I'm sweating thinking about the first dance! I hate dancing, and can't dance to save my life! I'm exactl the same with people dragging me up to the dance floor! 

Just thought it might be useful to report back on our music requests for those thinking of including it on the RSVP :)

We've had 27 people accept, 8 did so online which doesn't ask for a music choice (some have said they will provide one though)

So out of the 19 that sent us paper RSVPs 12 have provided us with at least one song choice, one family of 7 have provided 3 or 4 each and apparently had lots of fun picking songs and playing them to those who didn't know them etc.

We've had one ' anything 50s / 60s' and one 'i only dance when i'm drunk so just make sure there's beer' and the others have said they'll think about it but we'll see.

Overall i think we've had a positive response so far and also some good choices