DIY music playlist - need help!

So we are getting married in Scotland (traditional church, reception, sit down meal, dj etc) but having a celebration the following weekend in France (more relaxes occasion, BBQ/banquet, hosted at a villa).  For the French weekend I'm thinking of doing music ourselves via Spotify playlists and wondered if anyone had done this, or been at a wedding where this was done.  Also thinking of using an iPod to play the music (phone might ring or text alert) but not sure what would be the best to use, would a nano work just as well as an iPod touch?  Will battery life be enough for music through the day and at night?

we are asking guests to choose songs and will have different playlists for different parts of the day

any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated. 

• You need to talk with the venue co-ordinator (if there is one) to ask them how can you plug the iPod at the speaker, sometimes you can directly plug it to the speaker but I am not sure you can do this with a powerful one.

I think the battery will be a problem if you can't charge it so make sure you can charge it near the speaker!

I think Spotify or even Deezer might be a great idea BUT! Remember that there are some adds! So I hugely suggest you to pay a monthly fee just for your wedding! And have a playlist ready on your iPhone, laptop or other device just in case the Wifi wouldn't work. You need to check if you can use your data abroad or if they actually got wifi in your venue in France!

• MrsLMTMrsLMT Posts: 3,830

I have made a playlist on Spotify for various elements of the day. H2b is now using this to make cds for the ceremony, drinks reception and then wedding breakfast. 

We don't mind paying the monthly Spotify fee, but we are worried about wifi. Would rather have a back up plan incase wifi fails on th day! 

• MissSMissS Posts: 267 New bride
    FutureMrsThomas wrote (see post):

I have made a playlist on Spotify for various elements of the day. H2b is now using this to make cds for the ceremony, drinks reception and then wedding breakfast. 

We don't mind paying the monthly Spotify fee, but we are worried about wifi. Would rather have a back up plan incase wifi fails on th day! 

If your songs are downloaded you wont need wifi so don't worry about that!x

• MissSMissS Posts: 267 New bride

Why don't you put your phone on aeroplane mode then you wont get any interruptions! Were making a spotify playlist for the whole day- our venue has no wifi or signal so we will download all of our songs- set it to aeroplane mode and off we go!

• Margaret34Margaret34 Posts: 84 New bride

Thanks for the feedback.  The villa we are using has a PA system so no problems there.  We also have Spotify Premium which means you can download the playlist hence no need for wifi (my fiancé is French and we have had many family holidays where wifi is almost non existent lol!!) and I am with threemobile so can use my phone data etc free.  As its been years since I've had an iPod (use my phone now) I am wondering about the battery life, even though it states 22/24 hour play time, and I suppose we could use a laptop instead or as a back up.  We will have various playlists ready for different parts of the day so can alternate between device if needed too (maybe during speeches or when people are playing games/doing photobooth picture for the guest book).

we dont get married until sept 2018 so have plenty of time for practice sessions lol!!  But just wanted to hear of other people's experiences and what worked/didn't work.  

MissS when is your big day?  did you choose your songs for the playlist?

• Margaret34 wrote (see post):

Thanks for the feedback.  The villa we are using has a PA system so no problems there.  We also have Spotify Premium which means you can download the playlist hence no need for wifi (my fiancé is French and we have had many family holidays where wifi is almost non existent lol!!) and I am with threemobile so can use my phone data etc free.  As its been years since I've had an iPod (use my phone now) I am wondering about the battery life, even though it states 22/24 hour play time, and I suppose we could use a laptop instead or as a back up.  We will have various playlists ready for different parts of the day so can alternate between device if needed too (maybe during speeches or when people are playing games/doing photobooth picture for the guest book).

we dont get married until sept 2018 so have plenty of time for practice sessions lol!!  But just wanted to hear of other people's experiences and what worked/didn't work.  

Oh! So you are Scottish and he is French? This is funny because I am French but living in Scotland ahah! Have you consider the language issue? Do you know if husband family would be able to understand what the celebrant is saying and your vows? Except if the French family won't come to the ceremony In Scotland!

I don't understand why you worry about your iPod battery, you just have to plug it while the music is playing! ^^

Yes we live in Edinburgh but I'm from Balloch (near Glasgow) and he is from Paris.  The Scottish ceremony will be in english, the French visitors (mostly bridal party and close family) coming over speak English so not really an issue, although our Wedding Order of Service will be bi-lingual so everyone knows what's happening and when.  The French weekend celebration will all be in French, we are having a hand fasting ceremony as we will already be married, and will have translations for the Scottish visitors (quite a few of my family want to come to both lol!!) but this will be a much more informal weekend.  

I am asking about the battery because from what I remember the charger port is the same as the speaker port so would have to unplug the speaker to put in the charger, same as with my iPhone.  Just want to eliminate any problems beforehand so I am prepared because on the day I just want to relax and have fun

• Ok I understand your worry now ahah! But I think this kind of charger port are actually charging the phone as well as diffusing the music! Once again you need to check this with the venue coordinator but I am pretty sure that it's charging as well!

• AwhelenqtAwhelenqt Posts: 856 New bride
    I've made a playlist on Spotify, paid for premium and downloaded it for offline listening.

We'll use an iPhone and make sure it's on airplane mode (you can still connect to WiFi on airplane mode if you don't want to download it but also don't want text alerts).

It'll be on charge next to the speaker but we'll also take a couple fully charged travel charging packs :)