Did/will anyone have a DIY photo 'booth' or 'area'? Pics and ideas please!

We're getting married in 10 weeks and at our reception venue, the guests will be ushered to the adjoining barn for about an hour while the tables are all moved about and things prepared for the evening guests arrival.  (Not ideal I know but it is a smallish venue!)

During that hour or nearly-an-hour time, tea and coffee etc will be served (or hot chocolate or mulled cider if I get my way!) and music can be played (live if we want; we could ask friends to play something) but in the corner of the barn there is a corner fenced off with bails of hay and straw, and we thought it might be ideal for a DIY selfie station/photo booth.

We're on a tight budget so I don't want to spend a fortune, but I'm wondering about a little photo corner with a box of props and a couple of selfie stick and maybe a frame hanging up to pose behind?

What do you think?  Are you doing anything like this?  Have you done something like this?  Have you got any photos or inspiration photos please?

This is potentially the 'dead' or 'awkward' time of the wedding - especially if it is a cold day, but there are heaters in the side barn ....image

• MrsC2018MrsC2018 Posts: 191 New bride

I am planning on doing this but haven't got anything set in stone yet. Pinterest has some fantastic pics if you search DIY photo booth but the ones I like look expensive to source. See below for my vision, I don't even know where to begin and it will probably be more expensive than a booth. Haha. I plan to have a frame or frames hanging from a tree though, you can get decent frames in stores like Wilkos

imageimage

• EpiphanyEpiphany Posts: 718

Mrs C2018 - Oooh those ideas look absolutely lovely!

Thank you!

I should have known that Pinterest would be the place to go .... stylish, but as you say not cheap!  I live in the m iddle of nowhere but maybe could online shop at Wilko's - or look on ebay for old frames.

I appreciate you replying to the post, thanks!  Will your 'booth' be outside?

• LucykinsLucykins Posts: 701

That looks like a lovely area to do a photo booth.

We are having a DIY one too, got lots of the props from eBay. With ours, there is a little side room I think we might use, as the main room will be quite dim, and that way the pictures can be taken somewhere with good light.

Yeah ours will be outside. I think the second pic with an old chair and suitcases and books will be easier to do for me and we'll have the standard props everyone has. It's a kind of last minute, see what is left in the budget kind of plan. I plan to get a chair from an old furniture/second hand store.

If you have hay bales to use freely then that's a perfect background/seating area to start off with. You could put flowers (real or fake) in the bales to make them look pretty. Cushions would be cool and you can get ones with words/phrases on to make it more quirky. Found this cool pic on pinterest for you. Simple but a cool place to sit for a pic

• MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

H2b wants a diy photobooth, but hes not much use, he just asked me to sort it 😂 Ive never actually used a photobooth so its a bit new to me, but my bridesmaid did one for her sister so Ive recruited her.

Were going to make a backdrop of some sort and just have an ipad on a stick with props. H2b also likes those white thrones so IF we hire them ill stick them in front of the backdrop. As a guest Id definitely be tempted over by a chance to pose on a throne if nothing else!

Thank you Lucykins and Mrs J - think it could be a good idea.

Thankyou Mrs C2018 - There may just be enough haybales to do that settee!  Great idea!

Will you provide an ipad/polaroid or just let people use their own phones?

x

• ruthie1979ruthie1979 Posts: 794

I'm creating my own photo booth and have asked my niece and step daughter if we can use their polaroid cameras (I will buy the films) and then hoping to use the pics for the guest book too.

I was going to buy or create my own instagram frame too with the wedding details on (again loads of ideas and inspiration on Pinterest!) 

To keep costs down I would ask guests/friends/family if they have any props - so many people buy them for parties and don't throw them away!

Love the hay bales - looks like a perfect area for a photo booth xx

• MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

Im planning on using my own ipad so that ive got all the photos so I can nose 😊 Then share them all. I am planning on getting a child proof case though, those really thick bouncy rubber things, to protect it. I dony trust the drunk people!

I've had a look at polaroids and they are quite expensive - not for what they are, but just on a limited budget and the film  pouches only do ten pictures.  In these 'snap-happy' times, someone could use a pouch in a few seconds.

I like the idea of a 'bounce-proofed' ipad cover.  And it means you have all the pictures! :)

I have a polaroid but the film is expensive and with a lot of children, I think they'll be snap happy. Most people have their own mobile and take selfies or group shots with them and always want to vet it, keep the best and upload directly themselves so that's the idea we're going with. It's just a fun thing to pass the time and doing it with own phones/cameras will save a lot of money. We have a samsung tablet and will be happy using that if it helps. We'll also provide selfie sticks.

Yes I thought about ordering a couple of selfie sticks too.

This is one that we REALLY love and I think it would be relatively easy and cheap if you’re a bit hands on. Again - I have to say Pinterest is definitely one to have a look at, they have a lot of how to’s etc. 😊😊

• Bex 25 that is gorgeous!

We are going to have our old front door (if we can get it in the car!) with pompom flowers stapled on - cheap and uses what we have.  That one you've posted is really elegant!

• I love it - I'm obsessed with that charcoal black at the moment, it's truly beautiful. That's a wonderful idea! Make sure to upload pictures once it's finished <3

• emma531emma531 Posts: 216

We've got a 5ft wire mannequin. Our quests will take photos on the Polaroid type camera we have and peg them onto the mannequin with bride/groom pegs. We've also got fairy lights for inside the mannequin. 

H2bs idea. Haven't seen anything like it elsewhere  

• I got a canvas photography backdrop from Amazon with a self-standing stand for it. It was huge! You can get all sort of designs on the canvas - we had a beachy design. Then we sourced lots of props from eBay and some selfie sticks! Easy!

• MrsS85MrsS85 Posts: 688 New bride

Some lovely ideas here, Mrscolestobe that backdrop is really nice, and like you say probably wouldn't be too tricky/pricey to make,

I agree with not using the polaroid cameras, as lovely as those little snaps look the film is expensive and they can be tricky to get good shots as we are all so used to full screen view finders on our phones and digital cameras. I would suggest an Ipad (or cheaper tablet) in super sturdy case. I haven't used them but believe there is photo booth apps you can try? or simply put a sign asking people to take the pics on their own devices and upload to wedpics or similar?

Backdrop wise, I have used those super cheap cardboard frames and props sets from Amazon for NYE parties and the pictures come out surprisingly well.