Which drinks are you serving during the reception?

HailsHails Posts: 2,455

I'm trying to work out if it's more cost effective to serve a mix of pimms and prosecco or just prosecco.

For soft drinks, thinking about old fashioned lemonade.

• Tanya128Tanya128 Posts: 1,993

We are serving pimms well actually austens punch (the Aldi version of pimms made exactly the same way but actually I think it tastes nicer!) the total cost for approximately 120 glasses is £58.18 that's for all the punch, lemonade, ice, mint, strawberries and lemons. Working it out that's about a third of the price of prosecco. We are serving orange and apple juice for children and non drinkers.

• Rose32Rose32 Posts: 74

We have gone for half pimms and half prosecco! :)

• Ashley72Ashley72 Posts: 1,137 New bride

i think half and half is a great idea, who doesn't love a nice Pimms on a summers day!

If you do all prosecco how about having a "pimp your prosecco bar" so little bowls of sliced strawberries, different flavoured fruit purees, etc, so people can jazz theirs up a bit. 

• HailsHails Posts: 2,455

Pimms and prosecco seem popular choices. I did just order a lot of prosecco on the tesco three for £15 deal which meant prosecco worked out at £5 a bottle. Not bad!

• MrsS85MrsS85 Posts: 688 New bride

How about some bottled beers too?

• Rach371Rach371 Posts: 1,119 New bride

Hails I want to do prosecco strawberry bellinis (basically prosecco with strawberry purée) for the drinks immediately after the ceremony and then we're having wine and beer. Old fashioned lemonade is what I want to go for too, I'm going to do a trip to Costco for that. 

I had Pimm's for my first wedding and it was delicious but the photos make it look like everyone's drinking beer and they don't look very pretty. 

• Ashley72Ashley72 Posts: 1,137 New bride
    Rach371 wrote (see post):

Hails I want to do prosecco strawberry bellinis (basically prosecco with strawberry purée) for the drinks immediately after the ceremony and then we're having wine and beer. Old fashioned lemonade is what I want to go for too, I'm going to do a trip to Costco for that. 

I had Pimm's for my first wedding and it was delicious but the photos make it look like everyone's drinking beer and they don't look very pretty. 

I'd never thought of that as a consideration! I love a pretty drink too, and champagne flutes are infinitely more elegant in photos I guess, definitely something to think about!

• We've gone with half and half Pimm's and lemonade and prosecco bucks fizz. We figured then we could do fresh orange and lemonade as a soft drink option.

We managed to pick up all our prosecco when it was 25% off 6 bottles or more in Tesco which brought the price right down.

Yeh I'm not really keen on beer bottles for the reception, there will be plenty of beer during the evening! 

• TC2017TC2017 Posts: 69

We had Prosecco, Peroni and orange juice for the drinks reception. I think lemonade is a nice choice as there's only so much orange juice you can drink. For the meal as well as the wine we did tell the venue people could have whatever soft drinks they wanted and to make sure there were jugs of iced water on tables and dotted around.

• Helen225Helen225 Posts: 861 New bride

We're doing prosecco but with peach purée and raspberry purée as a pimp your prosecco thing without having to get all the fresh stuff. Then orange juice for non drinkers but people can make bucks fizz too. 

• Katherine66Katherine66 Posts: 1,234

X

• We'll have to go with the package the venue has so we'll have sparkling wine but I'm thinking about setting up a 'prosecco station' with Chambord and elderflower etc which people have done before at the venue so that they can jazz up their drinks!

• Sara107Sara107 Posts: 85

We are serving a pomegranate fizz which is basically a prosecco with pomegranate. Traditional cloudy lemonade and then a pear and apple squash. Accompanied by a water station so people can help theirselves.

As for toast drinks we are serving Babycham in original Babycham glasses to fit the vintage theme.

• Ours is part of our package but I've asked to tweak it, 

will be bottles of beer/cider or prosecco on arrival 

also water, fruit juice, (I'm hoping to do milk & cookies) for the little ones tbh but we will see 

I'm also hoping I can swap mine out (and pay for) some rose prosecco - or even champers ;)

I'm worried I've missed the chance to get Aldi version of Pimms!

• SarahNov17SarahNov17 Posts: 160
    Sara107 wrote (see post):

As for toast drinks we are serving Babycham in original Babycham glasses to fit the vintage theme.

Love this - very retro!!!

• emma531emma531 Posts: 216

We had our wedding meeting yesterday where we got to choose our drinks (And taste them all to help us decide!) 

We're having vanilla and honey old fashioneds, passion fruit daquiris and mint 500s (gin, elderflower, mint and apple I think).

Love anything other than the traditional

• Lexie2017Lexie2017 Posts: 189

We are starting with champagne immediately post-ceremony as we have an hour in the ceremony venue, with wine for those who don't like it (a surprisingly large number of our friends/family have said 'oh, not that fussed about champagne, fizz gives me a headache' etc!).

I love the idea of cocktails after that, but our meal venue can't do enough quickly enough (unless you give people no choice, which is a bit dangerous), so we are having Pimms as a welcome drink when people arrive there. Like the idea of lemonade as the non-alcoholic alternative, as we also have Prosecco for the toast immediately after and we've got an elderflower fizz non-alcoholic alternative, so it might be nice for non-drinkers to get a different drink too.