Garden Reception - What if it rains?!

Hi everyone,

Long time forum stalker, first time poster! 

The wedding is now just under a year away and the stress and anxiety is beginning to occupy most of my brain capacity!

We have a grand guest list of 20 people. The ceremony will be held at the registry office and then we have a lovely holiday home booked out to hold the reception, it has a garden with glorious sea views. But I recently realised the space inside the house is considerably lacking in comparison to the big garden. So ... what if it rains? 

I've gone through 2 stages so far...

Stage 1 - Panic! Google all marquees ever in the history of man! Email all restaurants local to the reception regarding making dinner reservations

Stage 2 -  Ehh it's just rain, we're all used to the weather being unpredictable living in the UK - just go with the flow!

We aren't very well off at all in terms of money so we can't just organise marquee hire on the off chance we might need one, or put the deposit down on a group booking... we need to be so careful with our spending. 

But if the heavens truly open ... we will need to squeeze everyone into the kitchen and living room... and I don't know how fun that would be.

It won't be the biggest party of the year by any means, but I do want our guests to have a good time regardless of the weather.

I'm not sure what to do! Any advice?

Much love to all you beautiful brides and brides to be!

• bella2015bella2015 Posts: 1,903 New bride

What about those smaller gazebos? You could buy one and take it with you? Or hire one? It wouldn't need to be too big for 20 people. If you are worried about fitting everyone in the house then I think that's your only option. 

• MrsS85MrsS85 Posts: 688 New bride

As mentioned above, go for a small gazebo, doesn't need to be expensive, and could be sold after or look for a 2nd hand one to save money.

• SadieeeSadieee Posts: 1,781 New bride

Same, gazebo, could buy one from places like B&Q, amazon, homebase etc, or borrow one if a guest owns one?

• MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

Gazebo amd a patio heater or chimnea. Its really chilly here especially in the evening.

• Ashley72Ashley72 Posts: 1,137 New bride

Yup small gazebo and patio heater will do the trick. more than likely a guest will have one you can borrow or the holiday home owners might even be able to lend you one. Dont stress- it's like Christmas Day - people stress about fitting everyone but somehow you always make do! We had 25 people over for an engagement/house warming drink earlier this year in an open plan lounge/kitchen and big balcony which we couldn't use because of the rain - honestly everyone was fine, it was probably cosier than I'd have liked because we were counting on the balcony but nobody minded or even cared, it was great fun. sure on paper it might be a squeeze but people have a wonderful way of making do when there's an occasion! I'm sure it'll be fabulous. 

• Thanks so much for all the support and recommendations :)