welcome drink

hi what are you having as yours i need some ideas please.

• we are having bucks fizz for the ladies and a bottle of bud for the men. x
  • lorrdainelorrdaine Posts: 1,316
    i am having champagne and french martini cocktails. there will also be soft drinks for who ever wants them. i am hoping to kick back with a glass after the ceremony - napkin in hand so i dont ruin the dress obviously xx
  • sallysimpson1sallysimpson1 Posts: 1,491
    we are having kir royal, although lately i have been changing my mind and just wanting plain champagne! So indecisive!!!
  • salsaspinsalsaspin Posts: 4,098
    We're going for Pimms and Lemonade as we want a "garden party" kind of feel.

You could try a "cocktail hour" theme and serve two of three different cocktails, but it depends how drunk you want your guests to be before the meal!
    Quoted:
    we are having kir royal, although lately i have been changing my mind and just wanting plain champagne! So indecisive!!!

kir royal is a great idea. you should ask them to serve some of each and give your guests the choice!!!!
    Quoted:
    We're going for Pimms and Lemonade as we want a "garden party" kind of feel.

You could try a "cocktail hour" theme and serve two of three different cocktails, but it depends how drunk you want your guests to be before the meal!

the food will soon sober them up so dont worry about that. cocktail hour is great. its fun and cute and not that common - yet!! you know how things catch on!!!
  • Mrs_AmandaMrs_Amanda Posts: 3,284
    we couldn't decide either so had several

Pimms & lemonade

champagne

pink champagne

sparkling red wine

elderflower fizz for non-drinkers

every picture of me, I'm clutching a glass, and usually a different coloured drink :-0

oh, and some beer for some boys who told us they drink nothing else!
  • NurseColNurseCol Posts: 1,434
    Sounds stupid but I hadn't thought of having beer for the boys, thats a much better idea!

We are having bellini which is champagne and peach. We got engaged in Venice and had a bellini in the original bellini bar to celebrate! Can't imagine a lot of the boys drinking it though!x
  • Hi we are having bucks fizz and elderflower cordial with fizzy water for non-alchoholic. I went to a wedding where they did that and it was a nice change from orange juice!
  • serinec123serinec123 Posts: 537
    We had kir royals too. As out guests arrived, there were 2 members of staff asking each guest if they'd like their drink with or without the Creme de Cassis.

xxx
  • ImpatientUKImpatientUK Posts: 1,660
    we're either having pimms & lemonade and kir royale or pimms & champagne. cant quite decide yet!!
  • millsy2bmillsy2b Posts: 341
    so is kir royal wine and cassis or champagne,do you think i can get it easy enough abroad.
    not too sure. should be easy to get in france cause that where they have kir royale i think. maybe you could ask your venue and supply it if its a problem!!!
  • becks0302becks0302 Posts: 268
    We're going for a winter wedding theme so we'll be having mulled wine for our welcome drink.
  • scottishbridescottishbride Posts: 2,023
    Ours is a winter wedding so we are serving mulled wine before the ceremony, and bucks fizz or champagne after the ceremony.

• logistics3logistics3 Posts: 348
    going for cava - but with hibicus flowers in the bottom to make it look more expensive. Also bottles of beer for the boys is a great idea - why spend £6/7 on a glass of bubbly when they'd prefer a cold lager..... !!!

And soft sdrinks for the kiddies / non drinkers....
  • becks0302becks0302 Posts: 268
    Scottish Bride that's a good idea to serve guests a drink before the ceremony, especially mulled wine. It will warm them up on that chilly wintery day.
  • We too are having a winter wedding. mulled wine & buzzs fizz.xx
  • Wish I was having winter wedding now, I love mulled wine and would never have thought of it.

Getting married in 23 days time is sunny scotland - serving pimms and lemonade and praying for summer 07 to put in an appearance as pimms tastes so much bettter in the sunshine, fingers crossed!
  • Mulled wine for us too, for a chilly November in Scotland!! Then champagne for the speeches xx
  • Black-RoseBlack-Rose Posts: 4,305
    We are being so boring and having red or white wine.

:-/

Jules

xx

• rocky78ukrocky78uk Posts: 189
    We are having Martini Asti for the welcome drink, and orange juice for guests that dont drink. (asti is quite cheap and tastes very nice!!)
  • rocky78ukrocky78uk Posts: 189
    We are having Martini Asti for the welcome drink, and orange juice for guests that dont drink. (asti is quite cheap and tastes very nice!!)
  • we're also going to consult with our venue and ask if we can alter the drinks menu slightly to incorporate bottles of bud for the men, as most of the men that are coming and some of the women prefer beer to wine and cocktails. hopefully it wont be a problem and they'll accommodate these changes for us
  • lemonyjanelemonyjane Posts: 281
    I lived in France for a little while so here is the definative answer on Kir/Kir Royale.

Kir is white wine mixed with Creme de cassis

Kir Royale is Champagne (although no-one will notice if you use sparkling wine) mixed with Creme de Cassis.

Creme de Cassis is an alchoholic blackcurrant liquer (NOT French blackcurrant squash) easily available in the off licence or try Waitrose (it is listed on ocado just as cassis)

Thought you would all like to know

• We're having an English country garden style wedding but departing from the theme slightly for the welcome drink with Fragoli (an Italian wild strawberry liquer) mixed with Prosecco. I had this at a wedding in Rome and decided then and there that I would have it at my wedding. Aside from being absolutely delicious it is so pretty - there are whole wild strawberries in the Fragoli which bob amongst the Prosecco bubbles and turn the drink blush pink.
  • I am having a christmas wedding so we are having mulled wine and hot chocolate for the non-alcholic drinkers. Or with baileys/ameretto for me!!