I just don't know what to do if its cold and raining

AwhelenqtAwhelenqt Posts: 856 New bride
We get married August 23rd and pretty much the whole day is based around being outside.

Outdoor ceremony at 12.30 (but it's a covered open barn so unless it's blowing a gale it should be OK.

Then the plan is for 3 hours to chill in the courtyard. There's a bouncy castle, a mixture of garden and tabletop games, my friend is doing a ukulele set, a glitter station and of course a bar. And there's a photo scavenger hunt.

The bar is indoors and there's a small room for people to chill out with sofas, but aside from the background music not much going on in there.

Then 4pm - 6pm is the only planned indoor time, the meal.

Then people do what they want for an hour, then evening guests arrive at 7 and we have the discotheque back outside in the barn/courtyard.

I know pretty much none of you as have been to the venue so you don't know how small the indoor space is but 40 people hanging around for 3 hours in there isn't great and we can't afford a marquee.

• KittyFiennesKittyFiennes Posts: 975 New bride
    At the risk of sounding like a cow...if you can't afford to provide a marquee, and it should rain or be cold...well, your guests will be forced to pack into whatever inside space you have. If that's too crowded or lacks entertainment, they might leave early.  You're asking them to pack into a crowded little space with a glitter station and a ukulele player for 3 hours...they'll either tolerate it but not like it, or they'll leave. :(  If there's no other weather-safe space and nothing else to do, that's the risk you run.
  • OmRumOmRum Posts: 900 New bride
    Have you checked amongst friends and family if anyone owns any covering? Lots of people have those small sideless marquees. You might be surprised by what people have.

Also, what does the venue recommend? They must get asked about this all the time. They may get special offers on marquee hire so it may be cheaper than you think.
  • What's happening with the barn after the ceremony? Can't you make use of that once they've moved all the chairs out or is the meal going to be in there too?

We looked at a similar venue where it was all outside and they said if it rains they do a quick turnaround of the ceremony barn.

I'd definitely get lots of crates full of blankets in case it's cold, even if it's dry it might not necessarily be warm. 

We're going to an outdoor wedding in a few weeks and the invitation said it'll be going ahead regardless of weather so bring suitable clothing and shoes.

Try to be positive, it probably won't rain constantly all day and you can cope with showers!

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,949 New bride
    It being August, even if it's damp it shouldn't be cold. I'd definitely look into open sided marquees or tents, my brother managed to borrow one from the local gardening society for his wedding!
  • CoffeeDogAddictCoffeeDogAddict Posts: 1,341 New bride
    Aldi are due to have some nice marquees cheaper than most other places, i know you're on a budget but it might be worth the investment just in case. 

I'm sure the venue must have some kind of plan, most British venues that are largely outdoor will surely have a Plan B - you just cant rely on the weather here!