BBQ style - doubting myself

longhaullonghaul Posts: 22 New bride
Hi girls (or guys)

I'm doubting myself on food and wondering your opinion, were on a low budget and for the wedding breakfast I am looking at serving hog roast pulled pork burgers (or vegetable burgers) with chips and onion rings then wedding cake but served as a sit down meal for comfort/ease, I have two doubts though

1) my fiance now thinks it will be too messy but all the other options cost twice as much and aren't as nice (not stuff we would actually order if we where eating out) and it will be seated with full cutlery/crockery not standing around

2) will people think its not enough? I hear people talking about 5-9 course wedding meals like: appetizers, soup, salad, starter, cleanser, main, dessert, cheese board etc... so would guests think its 'rubbish' to have a simple BBQ instead of a fancy multi-course meal

• CoffeeDogAddictCoffeeDogAddict Posts: 1,207 New bride
    Hey! Im doing something similar although we haven't got to the nitty gritty yet.

1) any food can be messy tbh. As long as they have access to some cutlery if they're eating at a table then they will be fine. Gravy is a staple in most "traditional" wedding breakfasts and i can promise there will always be someone who gets drips on their outfit! Its just life. 

2) i think as long as there's adequate food for it to be a full meal its totally fine! Huge multiple courses might happen but that doesn't mean you have to have it if it isn't you! All people care about is feeling satiated, so as long as they're full they'll be happy! Its a bit like comparing pub grub to a Michelin star restaurant, they just offer such different things they but ultimately the purpose it to enjoy the food! (Plus most super fancy places have such small portions you need 9 courses for it to touch the sides! :D
  • longhaullonghaul Posts: 22 New bride
    yeah that's the thing we agreed very early on to do 'pub grub' type because that what we eat normally

my view was the same with the 'messy' thing, I don't see how its more messy than other food but there just that nagging doubt that some might think were being 'cheep' or 'tacky' by not having Jaime Oliver flown in to custom cook £50 stakes to everyone personal preference even though I'm likely just over thinking it lol

I keep trying to remind myself that in a pub a burger, chips and cake would be plenty
  • CoffeeDogAddictCoffeeDogAddict Posts: 1,207 New bride
    I totally agree with you! Don't worry it really will be plenty, and yes some people may think its different but that isnt a bad thing! I think it really does depend on your crowd, but more people are relaxed with what they know, which isnt usually a 3-4 course sit down meal on the finest china with half a normal portion  :D trust your ideas!! 
  • MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,919 New bride
    Some of the best wedding food I've ever had was at our friend's wedding who had hog roast with bread rolls & salads, and another who had a BBQ. I've also eaten some really unimpressive traditional wedding breakfasts! Don't worry about it, your food sounds delish x
  • Beatrice25Beatrice25 Posts: 201 New bride
    I wouldn't be disappointed if I went to a wedding with that. For mine we're having a BBQ where people help themselves but then will be seated. Its abroad but its basically the same :) x
  • OmRumOmRum Posts: 790 New bride
    I don't know about the messy, but just make sure napkins are provided, I guess!

No guest will think it's "rubbish". Wedding fashions go in phases, and it's currently fashionable to have hog roasts, pizza vans, etc. instead of three-course meals, so you're right on trend! I've been to every sort of wedding from multi-course formal meals right through to grab a sausage off the barbecue and I've enjoyed them all!

If you are continuing the party after the food I would probably make sure there is wedding cake, crisps or some other form of snackage for later in case people want to eat whilst they drink. This needn't cost much.