Separate wedding and reception...?

The two venues we wanted for getting married (small ceremony), and for hosting the evening reception (larger celebration) simply do not add up for dates for at least the next couple of years. I'd love to say I'm patient enough to wait that long, but we've had a really tough last couple of years (not relationship wise, but family/friends etc), and we just want the celebration to mark the end of all that sooner rather than later. 
Would it be too much to ask guests to attend a small ceremony (25 guests of close friends and immediate family) one month, and then say a month later throw the big evening reception with the same guests + the extended family, co-workers etc. 
Also, if doing it that way, to ask wedding party to wear their formal attire again (bride in wedding dress, groom in suit, flower girl, bridesmaid, best man) and if they wish, to get changed once arrived and greeted etc.

• henissihenissi Posts: 2
    I was doing something similar but because my wedding will be in Italy and we can't invite everyone there. So we will have the wedding with just immediate family (parents, siblings) and 2 friends each. Afterwards we will have a party in London with extended family and friends (and my family and friends who come to the wedding). The wedding date was in May and the party in September. I think this wasn' seen as too odd because of the overseas element - we also live in Spain so had to find a time when it would be feasible for us to come to London. 

All that said, our plans have changed because of the current situation with Covid 19. My wedding date of 29th May (in Italy!!) was just too close for comfort so we are postponing our wedding to the end of August. So the party in London will now be just 2 weeks after the wedding (all being well and travel being allowed by then!). 

I toyed with the idea of wearing my wedding dress again but I decided against it because the London party will be more casual in my auntie's garden. I have a friend who got married abroad and then had a reception back in England and while she re-wore her wedding dress she didn't ask the rest of the wedding party to wear the same outfits again. I think if you want to re-wear your dress you should go for it!
  • We are doing something very similar. We are due to get married thu 2nd July (no idea if we will have to postpone yet 🙈) with just close family and friends - there’s 21 in total and having a party Saturday 4th July. I will be wearing my dress again and my h2b and son will be wearing their suits but I wouldn’t expect anyone else to a have to wear the same - eg my bridesmaid unless they wanted to. 
  • We are doing something very similar. We are due to get married thu 2nd July (no idea if we will have to postpone yet 🙈) with just close family and friends - there’s 21 in total and having a party Saturday 4th July. I will be wearing my dress again and my h2b and son will be wearing their suits but I wouldn’t expect anyone else to a have to wear the same - eg my bridesmaid unless they wanted to.