Advise needed please - Beamish Hall - Service or Location?

Hi All

Ive been looking for venues for the past couple of months now and am getting a little tired - nothing seems to b perfect!

I really liked Beamish Hall - the location is on our doorstep and the grounds are gorgeous HOWEVER Ive been less than impressed with the service provided so far! It took three emails for them to finally send out a brochure. Then when we had our visit we were greeted by the b2b's father shouting in the reception because the b2bs room still wasnt ready for her to get changed only an hour before the service! To add to that later the groom was asking for the coordinators help but she said she was busy with a client (us! I was so embarrassed). Am i being over sensitive? I just felt like this was a sign (and Im not even superstitious)

The only other place Ive really loved and suited our numbers etc was linden hall however this is around 35 miles away - do you think this is too far?

Id appreciate your advice!

• jhs125jhs125 Posts: 56
    I am in exactly the same predicatment. i was between beamish and lumley castle. preffered beamish as it was quite modern but they wont email me and everytime i call it goes to answer machine!! lumley is only 4 miles away from there and they are soooo good! brochures sent the next day, follow up phone calls, nice helpful staff. im thikning the same, if they cant do basic things right how can they be expected to coordinate a whole day??
  • Pipsyuk1Pipsyuk1 Posts: 766
    Hi we are getting married at Beamish Hall it is absolutely stunning we are getting married in the shafto hall and then having the wedding breakfast and evening in the monboucher suite.

I must say there has been a couple of hick ups but overall we still love it and are looking forward to our wedding there (no where is perfect unforntunately) , the food is amazing and i know of a few weddings there and there hasnt been any complaints.

I know there are only two wedding co-ordinators there im not excusing them but im sure they are extremely busy it is only owned by one man (not a company) after years of wanting the hall he managed to buy it and has been doing it up slowly but surely and we have seen a vast improvement in everything since we booked in nov 2005.

On the other hand Lumley Castle is also beautiful my sister got married there in 1999 and it was amazing.

Hope ive been some help if you want to know anything about beamish hall ill try and help. If you havent already left a message on rosies voice mail i would try as she has always been pretty good at returning calls.

Good luck xx

p.s the only other place i really like is Headlam Hall in Darlington.
  • tuppenceuktuppenceuk Posts: 5,346
    we nearly went with beamish hall - it is stunning, and was my very first choice.

eventually went with redworth hall cos h2b decided he didn't want it to be walking distance from his mum & dad's house!! (too much potential for interference image )

I have heard a few bad things about beamish, but I've heard far, far more good. and tbh, I've heard bad things about nearly all the venues we looked at (including redworth, and linden, and matfen, and lumley) - I researched v thoroughly!!

on balance we'd probably have gone with beamish if not for the pil2b factor, despite the problems sometimes getting hold of them - at least if you know that up front you're forearmed and can deal with them with a strong hand from the start!

but if you do decide on linden, I don't think it's too far - it's about the same distance in the other direction as redworth is, and we're having the service in west pelton - spitting distance from beamish!

[Modified by: tuppence on October 02, 2007 12:11 AM]
  • Thank you all for your advice although I am even more confused now!

I looked at Lumley and it was over budget (although might raise the extra if I dont decide soon). Loved Redworth too but its too large for my numbers - Im only having around 70-80 for the breakfast.

I know Beamish is gorgeous but I think those few service issues will keep nagging at me for the next 2 yrs

Ive got one more place to look at at the weekend so will make a decision by then and will keep you posted! ;\)

• I'm having mine at Lumley Castle, there will be good and bad experiences with every venue, so its just luck on the day itself.!!
  • I emailed beamish too but I never got a reply. in the end I decided to go with Matfen Hall in northumberland,

its amazing

xxx
    Hi Really Important about Beamish Hall!!!

After reading your responses and concerns I e-mailed Rosie (wedding co-ordinator) at Beamish Hall and sent her the link to this topic she has explained that there has been problems with their new website the company that has designed it put the incorrect e-mail address on and have yet to ammend that and a couple of other things which they are taking their time in doing.

I dont know whether its because we are getting married there or whether its because its on my doorstep (probably abit of both) but i feel really passionate about Beamish Hall and i think if you visited you would love it please give them a ring on Tel 01207 233733 or e-mail their correct address which is [email protected] or Rosie direct on [email protected]

Sorry if i seem pushy i just dont want anyone to miss out on a beautiful venue.

xx
  • fjbfjb Posts: 139
    Hello

I'm getting married at Langley Castle which is gorgeous and so far service excellent. We looked round Lumley and Beamish and Redworth and Matfen but decided on Langley as it was just perfect. I'm sure all venues are gorgeous and hopefully any tiny hiccups you wouldn't even notice on the day
  • Hi Pipsy

When are you getting married there? We are doing the same as you shafto for ceremony and monboucher for reception - in 19 days OMG!!!!

Melanie
  • ah fallon21 - why did you have to go through another name in the hat! Its looks lovely on the internet and Ive booked a viewing for next weekend then if that doesnt suit for any reasons think it'l be Beamish!

Thanks alot for the advise Pipsy Im sure your day will be stunning. I dont think you are being at all pushy you obviously just love the venue and I really appreciate your advise!

Congrats mrs meadows2b - let me know how it goes so I can book up and put on end to this whole search! I too would be booking shafto for the ceremony and monboucher for the day

x x x
  • Hi Pipsy and MrsMeadows2b

I am getting married at Beamish next May...same rooms, Shafto and Monboucher. I am really looking forward to it, we obviously have good taste. Please will you let me know how both your weddings go? I would really appreciate it.

Pipsy...I think you know my cousin (Hannah) judging by your picture of horses and she mentioned she knew someone who was getting married at Beamish. She told me that you had contacted them with your concerns and that they had re-assured you. If its not you then sorry...I probably sound crazy!

Anyway, will be great to hear from you both. Good luck and I am sure you will have fab days!

Pippa x
    Hi Pippa yes its me I know Hannah, its weird talking to someone you have a link with haha! We do have good taste, the horses are the two coloureds (so pretty).

I contacted Rosie at Beamish Hall and she was so reassuring and helpful not worried at all now just really looking forward to our wedding, bet your getting excited too have you got everything booked and ordered yet??

Mrs Meadows2b - I am getting married 5 July 2008 cant wait. Let us all know how your day goes, hope you enjoy every minute.

Mrscostello2b - Pleased you dont think im was being pushy, hope you get your venue booked soon as its probably the most stressful thing i think.

xx
    Hi Pippa yes its me I know Hannah, its weird talking to someone you have a link with haha! We do have good taste, the horses are the two coloureds (so pretty).

I contacted Rosie at Beamish Hall and she was so reassuring and helpful not worried at all now just really looking forward to our wedding, bet your getting excited too have you got everything booked and ordered yet??

Mrs Meadows2b - I am getting married 5 July 2008 cant wait. Let us all know how your day goes, hope you enjoy every minute.

Mrscostello2b - Pleased you dont think im was being pushy, hope you get your venue booked soon as its probably the most stressful thing i think.

xx
    Ooops double post xx
  • I will let you know what happens - I've been planning for the last two years and now the only thing I have to do is write a few cheques out and turn up!
  • JnutmanJnutman Posts: 561
    Hi there

We to are also getting married at Beamish hall next year on May 31st. We are having the monboucher for the wedding breakfast and shaftoe for the evening reception as getting married in a church.

Anyone who is getting married there before me i would really appreciated your feedback as have also heard good things and bad things about the venue but more good things thank goodness.

I emailed rosie also on her email last week regarding a few queries which i had and she mailed me back next day.

xx
  • WHERE ARE ALL YOU LADIES FROM IM FROM HOUGHTON LE SPRING IN THE MIDDLE OF SUNDERLAND DURHM I LOVE BEAMISH HALL BUT I THINK ITS OVER MY BUDGET HOPE YOU LADIES DONT MIND ME ASKING HOW MUCH YOU HAVE PAID XX
  • WHERE ARE ALL YOU LADIES FROM IM FROM HOUGHTON LE SPRING IN THE MIDDLE OF SUNDERLAND DURHM I LOVE BEAMISH HALL BUT I THINK ITS OVER MY BUDGET HOPE YOU LADIES DONT MIND ME ASKING HOW MUCH YOU HAVE PAID XX
  • I think I have paid too much for everything! The biggest expense is food - so if you have a small group, Beamish might be within budget! The prices are fairly similar wherever you will go - although I am being charged £7.50 for 1 jug of Orange Juice which I think is obscene. Still £7.50 is now a mere drop in the ocean!

If you are still looking for dresses ladies, I can 100% recommend Exquisite Bridal in Stanley - Jane is fabulous and her dresses are fab. If you call in tell her Melanie recommended you!
    Ellison2b - Hi I think its actually quite reasonably priced compared to some places.

We booked in November 2005 just before they changed the wedding package and we got a great deal!!! If we met minimum numbers there was no room charge, we also get money allocated towards our flowers which is more or less going to cover the reception flowers and we get the drinks package complimentary too (sorry shouldnt really rub it in should i, just it saved us a small fortune) the food is costing quite abit though but like i said not much more than any where else.

The only thing we have to pay is £250 to have the ceremony in the shafto hall as its a different room to the reception. and of courses food and bedrooms, We'll be spending about £5,500 on food

xx
  • JnutmanJnutman Posts: 561
    Hi there

We booked in May 2006. They must have renewed the packing since then as unfortunately we dont get a contribution towards flowers etc but we do get the bridal suite for free which i suppose is the equivalent in cost.

We are having monboucher for wedding breakfast which we have to pay £750 room hire and have to meet minimum of 70 or have to pay extra room hire. We are having shaftoe for the evening which is £500 and if we dont have more than 80 again have to pay an extra charge.

We have invited about 95 to day time and 180 to evening.

Think all in all the whole thing is going to cost us approx £8,500 with drinks and food. However there are always unexpected costs.

They tried to charge £6.50 for chair covers but we have found our own for £4 including sash, delivery and collection.

We are from Ouston, near chester le street.

xxx
  • Hi Ellison2b Im from Consett and am starting a new job in Houghton-le-spring in 2 weeks time - really excited as it will cut my comute in half!

When Ive done my initial sums its come to about 7000 - will have to try and stick to this as its not far off my limit but know how these little things can add up x x x
  • Hi Mrscostello2b where abouts in houghton are you going to be working x
  • In Rainton Industrial Estate for a manufacturing company - Im an accountant - very boring I know! ;\) x x
  • I work in Hetton not far and I do accounts aswell for a small company im not an accountant though accounts clerk is my title ha ha x
  • i am getting married beamish hallnext year, rosie has been great and it is only five mins from home result:\)
  • I have one week of freedom!

Will write on here in just over 1 week and tell you how it all went - I am now stressing big time as the mother in law arrives in just over an hour to stay with us for the week

Brilliant
  • Hi,

We looked at Beamish and didnt like the service just to get a brochure, i emailed numerous times, phoned and never got one, we eventually drove from Sunderland but I prefered Seaham Hall (which we booked). Lumley was the same, the lady who showed us round was completely uninterested in us booking our special day with them.

Anyway everyone has their own opinions and im sure all our weddings will be very special.

• Woohoo!

Finally found the venue of my dreams! Provisionally booked 27/06/09 at Redworth Hall. Its completely perfect and everything we wanted from a venue!

I initially thought my numbers were too small so ruled it out but the wedding co-ordinater said they were fine.

x x x