Forum home Archived Same-Sex Civil Partnerships

Music and readings

I have posted this on another chat part of this site for civil ceremonies generally but an intrigued as to whether anyone who is also getting civil partnered has suggestions. Trying to come up with readings / songs (live) that could be included in my ceremony but am struggling to stop it becoming cheesey. Any suggestions?

• jcsimsjcsims Posts: 5
    HI im getting married 28th July im not sure about readings my best friend is reading a poem i found online. Im looking for a piece of music to enter the room with not to sure what to go for? HELP?????
  • MrsColl2BMrsColl2B Posts: 137
    I'm not having a civil partnership but thought I'd post as I was like you and couldn't really see much that I liked... until last night, that is!!

Steven Curtis Chapman's "I will be here". If you google it, you will find the words. The words feel so meaningful and sums up what I feel that my marriage will be about. I didn't want anythjing too cheesey, ye old worlde, or 'humorous' as such.

The only thing is that it's actually I song, but I haven't actually heard the song yet!

I have also bought the Confetti vows and readings book for inspiration.

• andre79andre79 Posts: 258
    im geeting married on july 14th 07 and ive chose an aero smith song plus a shane ward song try chooseing sum thing u both like a song that means sumat to u both
  • RhianukRhianuk Posts: 659
    Your post caught my eye as I am having (what I think to be) an unusual reading. As a reading, we are having The Owl and the Pussycat, but at the end of the first verse, we are substituting "kitty" instead of "pussy" so that my friend doesn't go purple and people don't titter when she reads it! It isn't male/female so it could work for you?
  • Emma_GiffordEmma_Gifford Posts: 1,589
    we are having owl and the pussycat too - what a great idea re the kitty thing! cos my friend is really nervous about everyone sniggering!
  • lillekatlillekat Posts: 119
    There are 2 fragments by Sappho that I think would be perfect for civil partnerships:

"Love holds me captive again

and I tremble with bittersweet longing

As a gale on the mountainside bends the oak tree

I am rocked by my love "

Just a thought
  • nonieuknonieuk Posts: 1
    hi, we'd like to have our guests sing along to a piece of music during our outdoor civli ceremony. A piece that eveyone, or most know...I haven't a clue...any ideas?
  • CharlieTCharlieT Posts: 303
    my mum did that at her second marriage - she made everyone sing Amore

all together now.... "when....the....moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's amore..."

what on earth is a pizza pie anyway?!
  • SomethingfunnySomethingfunny Posts: 1,380 New bride
    We have no idea about readings yet, but we are having "I want You" by Kiss for our first dance. When we leave for the honeymoon we're going to play "the honeymoon song" by everclear. We might have "I was made for loving you" by Kiss as we leave the ceremony and "She is Love" by Oasis when I walk down the aisle. We're not totally decided yet, but that's our ideas at the mo!
  • I am lucky enough to have the London Community Gospel choir singing at my civil ceremony! next week! cant wait. Am walking down the aisle to 'Songbird' Eva Cassidy, during the ceremony 'How sweet it is to be loved by you', 'your love keeps lifting me higher', ''lets stay together', and walking back out to 'All you need is love'. Should be great fun. I am a music teacher and thought it great to have music that everyone knows, not some beautiful aria....
  • AnneSukAnneSuk Posts: 46
    Such a relief to have finally found a forum specifically for civil partnerships rather than generic weddings! On readings, my partner and I will also be having Sappho (Invocation to Aphrodite), and we are also thinking of a beautiful poem by Amy Lovett called 'Madonna of the Evening Flowers'. It's a love poem, not a religious poem, but the registry office may not let us have it just because of the title.

There is a new book out called 'The Love That Dares To Speak Its Name', which is a book of LGB love poems which might help you.

• We're having traditional bridal march to walk into and all you need is love for the exit played by a live brass quintet. It's going to be quite loud but fun!

Readings we chose were Blessing for a marriage by James Dillet Freeman and the piece from Captain Corelli's mandolin about the roots of trees growing together. It's quite a realist piece which really suited us but some people find a bit sombre xx
  • flop77flop77 Posts: 2
    Hi, i need help too! We are having a friend sing "Kissing You" by Desiree during the signing of the register and are leaving to "you and me vs the world" by Space. Our first dance will be "Iris" by the Goo Goo dolls but i can't for the life of me find anything to walk down the aisle to that i like!

I'm not a fan of classical but i'm also trying to avoid cheese! It's tough to find a balance! x x
  • We are having Gorecki by Lamb - my partner is a DJ so she has blended and edited it to remove the dancy bit in the middle. The lyrics are great - not cheesy -

Lamb - Gorecki

If I should die this very moment

I wouldn't fear

For I've never known completeness

Like being here

Wrapped in the warmth of you

Loving every breath of you

Still in my heart this moment

Or it might burst

Could we stay right here

Until the end of time until the earth stops turning

Wanna love you until the seas run dry

I've found the one I've waited for

All this time I've loved you

And never known your face

All this time I've missed you

And searched this human race

Here is true peace

Here my heart knows calm

Safe in your soul

Bathed in your sighs

Wanna stay right here

Until the end of time

'Til the earth stops turning

Gonna love you until the seas run dry

The one I've waited for

All I've known

All I've done

All I've felt was leading to this

All I've known

All I've done

All I've felt was leading to this

Wanna stay right here

'Til the end of time 'till the earth stops turning

I'm gonna love you till the seas run dry

The one I've waited for

The one I've waited for

Wanna stay right here

'Til the end of time 'till the earth stops turning

I'm gonna love you till the seas run dry

The one I've waited for

The one I've waited for
  • Hi - my 9 year old daughter is doing our reading and considering having the childrens story 'little nut brown hare' - its quite cute and about two hares telling each other how much they love each other. Other than that Im a bit stumped too as dont want anything too difficult for her to read or too old which will sound odd coming from a child.
  • DawnskyukDawnskyuk Posts: 129
    Lisa, those words are lovely...ur intended is a DJ? Does she do CP's? We r looking for a DJ in Glasgow on the 2nd...
  • LisainglasgowLisainglasgow Posts: 220
    Quoted:
    Lisa, those words are lovely...ur intended is a DJ? Does she do CP's? We r looking for a DJ in Glasgow on the 2nd...

Yes she does DJ around Glasgow. I can check if she is free on the 2nd August for you.

She has done lesbian engagement parties, and straight weddings but I know she would love to do a CP!
  • LisainglasgowLisainglasgow Posts: 220
    Forgot to say, email me at [email protected] and we can chat more about your CP and DJ requirements if you are interested x
  • _lizzie_uk_lizzie_uk Posts: 7
    This is a beautiful piece from the Book of Ruth (unfortunately you can't have it if you're having the registration and the ceremony together). It's used a lot at weddings and is beautiful, but also a lot of people don't know that this speech is from one woman (Ruth) to another (Naomi):

Do not persuade me to leave you or go back and not follow you. For wherever you go, I will go, and wherever you live, I will live; your people will be my people, and your God will be my God. Where you die, I will die, and there I will be buried. May the LORD do this to me, and even more, if anything but death separates you and me.