Some tips from a scottish newly wed

As a very new Scottish Bride I thought I'd -pay it forward' and give a wee list of the suppliers etc we used for any lucky lady still planning there wedding. I'll add a wedding report and pics next week but in the meantime here goes. Hope it helps!

THE DRESS

I used Pan Pan in Edinburgh for my Jenny Packham -Selene' dress. The were wonderful, supported me through any wobbles and gave me great advice regarding my veil and accessories

BRIDESMAIDS

Used Pretty woman at Meadowbank. The girls here were BRILLIANT. We knew we wanted the girls to have a different dress each as they are very different shapes. We thought we'd decided by unfortunately the dresses didn't come in the same colour. The girls were great at going through the Dessy catalogue and giving us advice to save on our valuable shopping time. Alterations were perfect and where one of the zips burst, they sourced a new one and fitted it in record time.

VENUE

Glencorse Kirk and House. It was simply out of this world. If you're looking for a laid back ceremony (I'll get to this later) and a beautiful venue then this is the place. The food was great, the staff were amazing and even helped entertain the children that were there. Clair, the manager, went out of her way to make sure we had everything we needed...and if anything went wrong, it was sorted. I didn't know about anything until my folks told me the next day.

FLOWERS

We used Roseparks and Lianne who works there has got to be one of the nicest girls I've ever met. She loves her job and this is certainly evident in her work. We met 4 times before the day to come up with the look we wanted, her advice was great and she gently persuaded me if she had concerns about my choice. She went above and beyond what I would expect from any florists and I would have no worries about recommended her to anyone.

MUSIC

During the humanist ceremony we wanted some music to break up all the words, we also wanted music during the register signing and for walking back up the aisle. We knew we wanted something modern and contemporary so wasn't entirely sure where to start. So after googling we found Kirsty Baird, went to see her and booked her on the spot. She was an integral part of our day and added to the overall atmosphere for us. She learned 2 new songs for us to play during the ceremony (Alicia Keys and U2) and her talent was clear for all to see. All of our guest commented on her and wanted to know where they could go and see her. She then played for an hour or so during our drinks reception and played requests when asked. She was just excellent

BAND

We used Slinky and again were extremely happy with them. Their customer service may leave a lot to be desired, but on the night the rocked it. Dance floor was packed and they played our 2 requests for first and last dance superbly. Bob Marley Could you be Loved and Kings of Leon use somebody. Not the easiest of songs and they sounded magic. Again, lots of comments from guests about them being the best wedding band.

PHOTOGRAPHER

We used Kate Brandwood. She was one of the cheapest photographers we found (I think about £300) so we were concerned about the quality, but we needn't have been as we have some fantastic shots. You might not get the posing range that another photographer would give, but if you're looking for a lovely girl, who mingles with guests and takes lots of natural shots then she's your girl.

VIDEO

We used Armchair theatre and the dvd was ready for us coming back from honeymoon. It's great and I'm so so glad we decided to have one done. He picked up lots of bits that I didn't notice and it's been edited really well.

Anyway, best get back to work. I hope I haven't bored you all but if I can save you some time so you can enjoy the run up to the big day then it's all worth it.

Remember to enjoy this bit, but don't get caught up in the small stuff. I promise you that on the day you and your guests won't even notice. Everything went to plan for us however, we were having such a ball we could have been in anywhere and still had the best day of our lives.

CELEBRANT

We had a humanist ceremony and used Tim Maguire. OH MY GOODNESS, the best part of our day by far. We'd written the whole service ourselves with advice from Tim, but to be honest, couldn't have done it without him. He was superb on the day, made everyone feel relaxed and excited before I even arrived. He made a wee joke when everyone was sitted about what a humanist ceremony was and I could hear the laughter outside. He just created such a wonderful atmosphere in the kirk and really set the tone for the day.

Good luck with your planning and please let me know if you need anything else!

• JessersukJessersuk Posts: 560
    Hi Tallbride - congratulations on your wedding!!

Thank you so much for this - it's really helpful!! I think we could definitely do with more threads like this from recent brides.

xx
  • 26septbride26septbride Posts: 1,158
    Hi ladies, I have to second Tall Bride's recommendation of Roseparks florists - Lianne was so helpful and knowledgable and it was great to see mock-ups of our centrepieces in advance of the day!

I'm in Midlothian and other suppliers I used and would recommend are:

PIPER - Scotia Pipers were fantastic and gave me the cheapest quote when I was looking (£150)

CAKE - Too Good to Eat in Dalkeith - lovely owner, very helpful and happy to work to my budget

KILT HIRE - McCalls in Edinburgh

JEWELLER - Bert Maguire made my husband's ring and did a great job

CHAIR COVERS - I used Beautifully Covered, they posted me a few colour samples in advance and did a good job.

Hope this helps other brides xx
  • lornayyclornayyc Posts: 1 New bride
    I know this was from a while ago, but a much appreciated post! I am planning a wedding back in Scotland but have emigrated to Canada - so seeing some feedback is great! We are looking at Glencorse and were going to get family to view it for us but the marquee isn't up yet! So great to see an independent review!