Forum home Scottish brides

Who have you booked for your band or DJ?

We're still debating on whether to go for a band or a DJ.

Unfortunately our original booking didn't pan out so we're back to the drawing board and really needing suggestions!

For a band, we would prefer for them to be under the £1000 mark!

• We are still debating that one too.

Bands are good but expensive and may not sing your favourite song the way you like it.

DJ is cheaper and you get the original sound track.

Let me know what you think.

• We were going to have a DJ but after going to a wedding a few weeks ago and the band were fantastic it made me really want a band! The thing is our band stand is tiny so had to try and find a duo or trio which was harder than we thought! After a lot of searching around the internet I came across 'monaco' who are fantastic and I got them for £700, more than I was expecting to pay but I don't need to pay until the wedding day so plenty of time to save. They are a trio at the moment but one of them is leaving at the end of the year which suits me as I don't think he is very good! I would say if you are booking a band try and haggle a bit to try and get the price down!
  • We are going with a band called The Unknowns which are really good, 4 young guys and play all sorts of music...they give you a discount if you are getting married in a winter month which we are so that worked out great for us image xxx
  • check our website:

www.keywestband.co.uk

if of interest, drop us an email for a quote.

price will be below £1000!

Cheers

John
  • We are going with a singer who follows with a DJ set, he brings all his own lights etc and he is really good value for money.

His name is John Penn wedding singer and this is his site http://www.johnpenn-singer.com/
  • We have booked a band and we always knew we wanted a band over a DJ based on our experiences from friends weddings. We found that people were more involved with a band and more likely to get up and dance. But I have to say it's not been an easy process. There are heaps and heaps of wedding bands and agencies that represent them but we found it really hard to find a band we liked. We didn't want a stereo typical wedding band that were technically not that great and just stood and did covers. However the bands we did find we loved were charging over £2,500 so that was not an option for us! In the end we went 'on the ground' and started looking at gigging bands in Devon and Cornwall (The wedding is in Corwall). As these bands don't just do the wedding circuit they are generally a lot cheaper and are used to playing a wide range of audiences. There's also the bonus that they'll most likely be playing in a pub or event that you can go and see them. Thsi was something that was critcal for us as I just don't think you can tell what a band is like from a demo track or video. I used the website http://www.lemonrock.com/ which is really useful. In the end we booked a local Plymouth band called Joker who were £900 but do usually charge £400 for a pub gig to give you an idea of wedding mark up!

Good luck!
  • Defo a band over DJ i would say - gets people more in the spirit of dancing and better atmosphere at a wedding image

I have booked Derringer Duo Wedding Band - fabulous and only £750!

They work well in smaller venues as they are only 2 guys image
  • We've booked the Jenni Gibb band who got really good reviews, and they've got loads of different packages too. We've gone for one that costs £1350 which is not too bad. I've not seen them perform before (we booked based on reviews and listening to their clips on their website) so fingers crossed!

Good luck!
  • Go with a band - no question!! They'll have your guests dancing all night long.

We went with an agency calle Function Central, and they were fab. Our first choice band cancelled on us, and they sorted everything out very quickly and with minimal fuss. x
  • ezz100ezz100 Posts: 1,029 New bride
    We didn't have either ....we used our iPOD...and I have to say it worked out so well. I couldn't go through the stress of finding a band (or paying for it !) and I couldn't stand the naff comments DJs so frequently come out with.

We chose our music carefully and the dancefloor was packed. Its worth a thought maybe ??
  • What speakers did you have?? Also how did you get round the pause between each song?? We are going to Cyprus next summer for our wedding and the quote for a DJ is 500 euros! That costs more than the hire of the beach bar for the disco! Thank you
  • We're getting both for £1000 but it involves some mates' rates.

Our band are the Belle Star Band (ceilidh and klezmer music) and our DJ is Lenny Love (who my dad has known for over 30 years and he's just FANTASTIC).
  • please feel free to visit our website www.leejonweddingsinger.co.uk we provide a nice combination of live music and DJ/Disco. If you would like me to send you a demo cd and some information on our services please fill in the contact form and I will send it to you straight away.

We offer a variety of live music from modern The Killers, Kings of Leon, Keane to more soft Rock oldies like Whitesnake, Bon Jovi and Bryan Adams. We are currently having a brand new website built but in the meantime please visit our current site www.leejonweddingsinger.co.uk image
  • I am getting married in April in Edinburgh, and we are having a band that provides a DJ too. The do their set then DJ for a Set then sing again then end the night with DJ. They are called Glitteratti and i booked them throuh Freak Music - they cost £997.10. I would try and do both - good combination! x
  • Quoted:
    We are still debating that one too. Bands are good but expensive and may not sing your favourite song the way you like it. DJ is cheaper and you get the original sound track. Let me know what you think. x

That was my initial thinking as i had initially thought that we could have a DJ and not only would it be cheaper but better for the variety they can play but a lot of people talk about the atmosphere that a band can create.

Quoted:
    We were going to have a DJ but after going to a wedding a few weeks ago and the band were fantastic it made me really want a band! The thing is our band stand is tiny so had to try and find a duo or trio which was harder than we thought! After a lot of searching around the internet I came across 'monaco' who are fantastic and I got them for £700, more than I was expecting to pay but I don't need to pay until the wedding day so plenty of time to save. They are a trio at the moment but one of them is leaving at the end of the year which suits me as I don't think he is very good! I would say if you are booking a band try and haggle a bit to try and get the price down!

We absolutely LOVED monaco but quoted us over £1000 so they were outwith our budget. Did you have to haggle for that price or is it a mid-week or winter wedding?

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, will have a look through them all now! image
  • PM'd you back velvetkara x
  • We felt that a band really just makes a scottish wedding, it always creates a great atmoshpere and we didn't even consider a dj, I find that people mix alot better with the ceilidh music etc even if you can't do the dances.

The band we've chosen are called The Limit and they are going to be able to do a mixture of pop/rock and ceilidh stuff which is exactly what we wanted image
  • I have the same thoughts about this. Haven't booked anything yet music wise but think we are going to go for a ceilidh band and Dj group called The Jiggers. They cover Glasgow and Edinburgh and advertise that their popular wedding set up goes in the way of:

First dance they play the original recording i.e cd

Then they do a set of covers live and/or ceilidh

Then Dj till the end of the night.

Seems like a good mix and Im sure they only charge £850

Have a look at the link and let me know your opinions or if anyone has seen them play I would like to know before I go ahead myself and book.

http://www.thejiggers.co.uk

K x
  • We have finally went with a band called 4play saw them on Saturday night My bridesmaids and I loved them.

• hey,

we are geetin married in hamilton race course and we r so undecided on a band or dj - with a pretty tight budget - could anyone recommend a band or dj for under £1000 that would suit our venue???

this is stressing me image
  • Im getting married at the avonbridge hotel not far from you image

Not very helpful info but just got a bit excited to see somewhere I recognised on here image x
  • yeah that is very close to our venueimage

so did u have a band or could recommend 1???? image

• My friend booked fiore wedding band, and thats who I have booked they are really good and a re ally good price

www.fioreweddingband.co.uk
  • I've got my pals band Sporran to be Wild . Think they are doing ceilidh and covers for the rest of the night . Should be good for a laugh. Not sure what their prices are like but I'm sure they will be reasonable

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sporran-To-Be-Wild/125663097470822
  • Li1736Li1736 Posts: 324
    http://www.bighair.biz/. These guys are amazing. Cannot recommend highly enough!!
  • We've booked the Dawn Patrol (www.thedawnpatrolmusic.com), they travel all over Scotland and we thought they were fab when we checked them out!
  • jefnurjefnur Posts: 359
    We're going for a DJ - H2B's choice but I am inclined to agree because our venue is small. I would probably have booked a band but we've spent a bit more money and got a proper club DJ and not a razzle dazzle disco DJ!

Also happier that he can accommodate our differing musical preferences better than a band could and will definitely be banning the usual wedding reception flash dance/dirty dancing cheesy mega mix.
  • Clairey we booked monaco but we got them for a better price than they are quoting now and to be honest we found it really hard to find a band small enough, within our budget that was still available! Didnt realise it would be such a struggle! One that I liked when scouring the internet but were unavailable were deville check them out and my friend had a band at her wedding called sneakers who were amazing but I think they might have been over the £1000 mark image x
  • the tatties. fab!
  • mebananamebanana Posts: 114
    We've booked Norman Mackay's Ceilidh Experience, and gone for the DJ/band package.