Forum home Archived Second Time Around

DECREE ABSOLUTE

Hi girls, Happy to say I'm a free woman! estatic! finally!

• great feeling isn't it???

congratulations!!!!
  • curvycarolcurvycarol Posts: 355
    How long from Decree Nisi to absolute? im just waiting for the absolute to come.

cx
  • if i remember rightly from mine, when you get the decree nisi you then have to wait 6 weeks and one day to apply for the absolutes then it just depends how busy the court is as to how quickly they send the absolute i think it was a couple of weeks for mine but the nisi got held up for a month or so as they said they were busy and understaffed! hope that helps with your query x

sophia 12 - congratulations, i remember that feeling well!! enjoy the rest of your planning x
  • sophia12uksophia12uk Posts: 172
    Thanks guys, I am absolutely over the moon, I cannot control me self! I've finally detached myself from that monster! son of a brute!
  • Black-RoseBlack-Rose Posts: 4,305
    Yes it is 6 weeks and one day from nisi to absolute. I rang the day before and asked if I could go along the next day to pick it up and they said yes so I did.

• tigger_197613tigger_197613 Posts: 4,416
    lol i went out for a meal to celebrate needless to say i ended up a lil drunk that night pmsl but what a great night it was haha
  • HevaldersimHevaldersim Posts: 154
    how long from court petition to nici?
  • Court Petition to Nisi:-

From the date that your petition has been received by the other person, they then have 14 days to respond to it by way of an Acknowledgement of Service. They then send this to the Court. The Court "seal" it. Send a copy out to you or your solicitors. You then have to do an Affidavit in Support of Petition. Once this has been done, you then send this to the Court together with your "Application for Directions for Trial" (application for first decree which is the Decree Nisi). The Court then send a notification back to you saying that they grant the divorce to proceed and then list the date for Decree Nisi.

Dependant upon how much the other party co-operates with this and the Court's workload, you could be looking at about near to two months.

Hope this helps x x
  • Court Petition to Nisi:-

From the date that your petition has been received by the other person, they then have 14 days to respond to it by way of an Acknowledgement of Service. They then send this to the Court. The Court "seal" it. Send a copy out to you or your solicitors. You then have to do an Affidavit in Support of Petition. Once this has been done, you then send this to the Court together with your "Application for Directions for Trial" (application for first decree which is the Decree Nisi). The Court then send a notification back to you saying that they grant the divorce to proceed and then list the date for Decree Nisi.

Dependant upon how much the other party co-operates with this and the Court's workload, you could be looking at about near to two months.

Hope this helps x x
  • Sorry about spilling that off - I'm a Legal Sec in a Family Department of a solicitors!
  • samoooosamoooo Posts: 288
    w00t for you! image

I get to post mine next week, am wondering what sort of emotions it's going to set off...
  • HevaldersimHevaldersim Posts: 154
    wow - thanks valentine bride, I wasnt expecting that much info but you have just saved someone a phonecall form their solicitor! thanks a bunch
  • You're welcome Hevaldersim x x
  • Mrs Valentinebride, I'm not sure where you work but I am a family solicitor and I have never known a divorce take 2 months from beginning to end. All the Courts I've worked with 4-6 months is more likely.