Forum home Archived Second Time Around

What do you ask for on a wedding list second time round?

I didn't think about a wedding list as most of the people coming to this wedding also came to the last wedding (21 years ago). I thought it would be cheeky to presume that they would buy us a present as they had already bought me one last time and many of them are still in use. Now with only 47 days to the wedding people keep asking what we would like for a present and I haven't got a clue! What have other people asked for?

• samoooosamoooo Posts: 288
    We're going to go somewhere like John lewis and set up a proper wedding registry list. Cos I never did that with the 1st time, and we don't have any stuff and this is setting up house properly image

I believe other suggestions are honeymoon contributions, and if you really don't want anything, charity donations or somesuch?
  • herestroubleherestrouble Posts: 323
    We would luike a new dinner set (jamie oliver one) and that can be got in Debenhams so we are setting up a list there and asking for peices of that or vouchers for there
  • mrshalomrshalo Posts: 113
    I never had a list first time, and second time I put in the invites that presence was more wanted than presents (but most didnt even get us any congratulations cards-tight gits!).

H2b has just suggested that you request honeymoon vouchers or any vouchers in general, then you can spend them on what you like!
  • Solo_BeckettSolo_Beckett Posts: 310
    Maybe ask for gift vouchers... I know I would still want to get a friend or realtion something really nice regardless if they were married before or not

• Solo_BeckettSolo_Beckett Posts: 310
    Maybe ask for gift vouchers... I know I would still want to get a friend or realtion something really nice regardless if they were married before or not

• As we have been living together for over 2 years now, and have most things we need, we have asked for donations to a charity that is very personal to us, and put a note in with our invitations explaining a little about the charity, and what any donations would be used for. We have had lots of lovely feedback about this idea, and also people who want to donate, plus buy us a present too!
  • Hi

We've asked for John Lewis vouchers, as we have so much stuff already and doubles of a lot of things when we moved in together. Also the beaty of gift vouchers is you don't end up with some mad Aunt buying you a 'lovely' crystal vase, which happened to me 1st time round and is still in some dusty box and never seen the light of day!

• fillyukfillyuk Posts: 240
    ive only given wedding list to people who have asked if we had list !

fillyimage
  • JAX1145JAX1145 Posts: 1,742
    We basked for Thomas Cook vouchers as we have everyhting in the home as we merged 2 home together....

We had already our honeymoon booked and paid for so we used the vouchers to buy flights to Turkey as we have a appartment out there....

jax x
  • DronfieldDronfield Posts: 90
    Thank you for your replies. My H2B suggested vouchers but I don't know I want something that I can remember the day by. I guess if we get vouchers then we could buy something that would be a token of the day. My head is just so muddled at the moment I have resigned from my job which is hectic at the moment and am trying to apply for a new one while organising a wedding. I wouldn't recommend it.
  • If you feel uncomfortable asking for presents, ask for donattion gifts to charitys or something like that?
  • scoobywrcscoobywrc Posts: 312
    We used Whattogive.com and designed our own list - money is tight so we asked for people to buy us tickets for events over the next year so we enjoy our first year of married life and have things to look forward to after the big day - beat the post wedding blues, lol we have an event planned for every month until next August!!

I get married tomorrow, and we've had a great response to our list - some people are buying tickets others have sent cheques so that we can buy what we want. The more expensive events we asked for donations towards them so people didnt feel they had to give us huge amounts!!! We also said that there was no pressure to buy us anything!!

[Modified by: rococo on July 31, 2009 06:55 AM]

• JAX1145JAX1145 Posts: 1,742
    We asked for Thomas Cook vouchers as we have property in Turkey and we would exchange them for forth coming flights..

Another thing we said was to get us Euro's as we were going to Santorini on Honeymoon and it would be put towards spending money which ppl did...

jax x
  • kathannukkathannuk Posts: 70
    Quoted:
    We used Whattogive.com and designed our own list - money is tight so we asked for people to buy us tickets for events over the next year so we enjoy our first year of married life and have things to look forward to after the big day - beat the post wedding blues, lol we have an event planned for every month until next August!!

I get married tomorrow, and we've had a great response to our list - some people are buying tickets others have sent cheques so that we can buy what we want. The more expensive events we asked for donations towards them so people didnt feel they had to give us huge amounts!!! We also said that there was no pressure to buy us anything!!

[Modified by: rococo on July 31, 2009 06:55 AM]

Gosh - good luck tomorrow!!!! We get wed May 10 & I'm hoping folk will ask my mum what we want & they'll put something towards the honeymoon. It didn't feel right to create a wedding list for me either as my family gave me a gifts last time.

Anyway - hope it all goes well tomorrow & HAVE LOTS OF FUN!!

K

• Hi. We're having a wishing well as we already have everything we need in the house and it doesnt need cluttering anymore lol. We've put a little poem in with the invitations and are going to put whatever we get towards a flat screen tv x
  • Finally got married. Haven't got a job but will be doing supply work. We got lots of lovely presents people were very imaginative. Thank you for your replies.
  • We have both a Debenhams and John Lewis gift list as most towns have one or the other and our guests are coming from all over. Like many of you, I didn't have a gift list 1st time and ended up with some strange gifts so I'd rather give some clear ideas if guests are going to buy.
  • hi

Me and H2B moved intogether a year ago, so we already have 2 of everything. So we thought giving money to a charity, as we dont really need anything new.

We both love traveling and my H2B has helped a small charity in Africa where they set up school for children. So we are going to give them the money from our guests. It's a small charity and because he has worked for them we know the money goes to the children and not running the business.

We think as we dont need the money this is the nicest thing todo and easier for us.
  • cpluspluscplusplus Posts: 1,448
    We didn't even mention one, and as a result got given loads of cash!!!!

which was very handy
  • My sister just got married for the second time and struggled with her gift list because many of the guests had been guests at the first wedding (although 13 years ago now!). She decided not to have one at all, but at the end of the day, they had to put one together as it was her h2b's first marriage and his family insisted. Our family also wanted to buy them gifts. She set up a cash gift list with loads of really personal, and often quite cute items. They added really personal messages like a coffee set with a little story about who has to make the coffee & tea on each day of the week in their house. I may not be explaining it very well, but it made it all feel really personal and intimate. The feedback was great.

They used justthething.co.uk but there's a few different companies about. We're using them for our wedding - next year- because their wedding sites include the gift list as well and look very classy.

http://www.justthething.co.uk/weddingsample
  • MrsJLMrsJL Posts: 378
    I will be moving in to H2B's house after we are married - hanging on to my lovely flat for as long as poss! Between us we have nearly everything we need. H2B's house needs quite a bit of re-decorating so we have asked for B&Q vouchers as we will need LOTS of paint, LOTS of wallpaper and every room carpeted.