Forum home Archived Second Time Around

Cost of weddings!!!!

Hi....

I am getting married for the 3rd time (yeah I know...I like the taste of wedding cake!!) in August 2008, to my MR RIGHT. We were getting married in June 2007 but the money side is so restricting, just can't afford to do it so soon. We would like to have a special day (as does every one) but the cost of everything, even for a small wedding is so expensive. It is going to cost us about £5000 for a small civil ceremony in a restaurant.

Has anyone else found this??

Thanks

Mandi

• You don't have to spend a fortune. I get so annoyed by this industry! It is expensive if you want something nice but if you shop around you can find bargains! We have spent 5 grand and we are having 50 in the day and about 80 altogether in the evening.

Tips - go for a lovely but less expensive dress (mine was on sale in monsoon - 70% off an already bargainous dress and i love it to pieces

don't splash out on things you don't have to , my mum has made our cake, borrowing Dads car instead of hiring, you don't HAVE to go to the carribean on honeymoon, city breaks are romantic too, go to town on the something borrowed and sales shop for all you are worth, You have 2 years which is what we had to plan. If you buy the little things as you go along then they come out of current account not savings and you don't notice the cost so much. Use the internet - Ebay is wedding heaven!

Get companies to freeze their prices by booking early, we did and saved about £1000 in doing so. Low key can still be beautiful and at the end of the day what is important is that you get married, laugh, smile and enjoy! Think back to weddings you have been to. It is often the little individual touches that make it memorable, not the fact that you spent £1500 on a cake!

Enjoy it - it's about the marriage as well as the wedding day!

all the best - Claire x

Have a wonderful time.
  • philtracyphiltracy Posts: 21
    WE ARE GETTING MARRIED ON THE 28TH JULY, 07 AND WE ARE DOING IT OURSELVES ON A BUDGET OF £2300.

I HAVE REALLY SHOPPED ABOUT TO BRING PRICES DOWN AS THIS IS THE SECOND TIME FOR BOTH OF US SO I WANTED A CHURCH WEDDING AS I NEVER HAD ONE THE FIRST TIME.

nOBODY HAS OFFERED US ANY FINANCIAL HELP TO THE COST OF THE WEDDING THEY JUST KEEP TELLING US TO MAKE CUT BACKS IF I MADE ANY MORE CUTBACKS I WOULD BE GOING IN A BIN LINER WE HAVE ALREADY SAID WE WEREN'T HAVING AN EVENING RECEPTION AND THAT THE AFTERNOON RECEPTION WILL ONLY HAVE 50 PEOPLE, BUT I DON'T CARE IF WE UPSET ANYONE THIS IS OUR DAY AND WE INTEND TO ENJOY IT.

P.S WE HAVE 2 KIDS EACH FROM PREVIOUS MARRIAGES.image
  • amylukamyluk Posts: 714
    if you view my postings there is one about wedding on the cheap. ours is still under £2,000.
  • mandiukmandiuk Posts: 16
    That's great, thank you all for your comments and I will certainly keep them in mind, and I will definitely be looking up yours posts Amy

Thanks again

xx
  • cheryl654cheryl654 Posts: 366
    Shop just after new year for a dress as I found quite a number of sales then or try the online dress agencies for them. I got a £2000 dress for £450 brand new!
  • Black-RoseBlack-Rose Posts: 4,305
    I am finding that it is not the dress/invites/cake/flowers that is the expensive bit - I have got bargains on all of those things. The expensive bit is the hotel and feeding and watering all our guests. We are only inviting our family and a handful of close friends but it is coming in at 80 people.
  • yes i also find its the venue that is top whack prices and theres no getting out of it. we are getting married at the derwent manor hotel and the prices are very high but its such a beautiful hotel we just simply couldnt resist. x
  • this is my 2nd marriage, h2b's first. we are marrying in local registry office and having party at home.my budget is £1000 and im doing everything myself with help from my parents.
  • rosekate15rosekate15 Posts: 2,440
    I agree with everyone that says it's the feeding of the guests that costs the most. Venues seem to inflate the prices as soon as you mention wedding. Same with Photographers and Cars.

We are getting married 26th April 2008 it will be my 3rd wedding and my H2B's 2nd.

We are getting married in Registry Office that alone has cost us £60 so far then a further £185 for ceremony.

We have booked a fab Hotel for Reception. Cost is approx £1500 that includes Fork Buffet for Wedding Breakfast with few drinks for 30. Evening Buffet for 50-60. Toast Master, DJ, Bridal Suite for night with champagne breakfast.

My dress is approx £250 complete with alterations (wearing Red) still need to buy undies and shoes.

Cake is a wedding gift from friendly neighbour

Hair and makeup is a gift from friend and neighbour who is hairdresser

H2B hasn't sorted his outfit out.

Reckon our budget of £3000 will have lots of change to put towards honeymoon imageimage:\) ;\)
  • Glad its not only me thats finding palnnign our wedding my 2nd h2b first expensive , like you said as soon as you say the (W) word you can double the price sad really ...also finding people have a take it or leave it attatude ... im looking for a fab cozy hotel that we can do it all ... ie wedding breakfast , drinks dj, and suite for the night but have not had any change out of £10,000 wowow ... no honeymoon for us ... thats 40 adults 10 kids ,any ideas in oxford area ?
  • my 3rd marriage too (h2b's second) - we have a 5k budget, I am getting my dress from Jewlz in Newark (also on ebay) we have found a shop that sell un-iced fruit cakes (we were going to make our own) and asda are selling ready roll icing for an amazing 34p a packet!!! I have just made a practice one (complete with icing roses on the top!) so the cake will cost us around £70 for 3 tiers, the venue we are having is costing us just under 3k for 50 people during the day (afternoon tea halved the cost of the "breakfast") and an additional 50 for a BBQ in the evening - this includes room hire, DJ, ceremony & reception rooms, chair covers and flowers in the ceremony room - also is included are the post ceremony drinks and the wine for our toast!!!! We have got a REALLY good deal in a lovely venue too (oh and the bridal suite is also included in that price!) Flowers from a shop on ebay - made my own head-dress and am making the bridesmaids fascinator head-dresses myself and have just bought the flower girl dresses half price from woolies - mum is making the BM's dresses............oh and we made our own invites for about 40p a go!!