Forum home Archived The Ceremony

Readings!

I'm not totally sure and hope that someone can help me, we're getting married in a church and I wondered do the readings have to be from the bible?

and is it normal for the readers to chose their own readings?

xx image xx

• dj2383dj2383 Posts: 162
    from what i am aware you can read whatever you want as long as it's appropriate. Your minister will let you know. But i am sure i have heard of people doing there on readings before x
  • you don't have to have a bible reading, but you will be strongly advised to as you are having a religious service.

Some vicars will insist on having a bible reading.

If you are unsure what to have, discuss it with your priest, please.
  • 2BWed20112BWed2011 Posts: 2,209
    According to the "Your Church Wedding" website, if it's a CoE church you must have at least one reading from the bible.

We are having:

1 John 4:7-12

7 Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God.

8 Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.

9 This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him.

10 This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.

11 Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another.

12 No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.

Ruth 1:16-17

16 But Ruth replied, "Don't urge me to leave you or to turn back from you. Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God.

17 Where you die I will die, and there I will be buried. May the LORD deal with me, be it ever so severely, if anything but death separates you and me."

• SarahMor84SarahMor84 Posts: 1,493
    I think you can choose your own readings up to a point. With Church weddings at least one (if not all readings) must be related to the bible.

I would speak to your priest as I think it depends on how strict they are. I think CoE may be more lenient than RC.

There are some lovely bible readings, your priest will guide you on them.

I am having an RC ceremony (changed from a civil) and I am more excited about the choosing the religious readings than the secular (and I am not 100% practicing)
  • 2Bwed2011 - that John reading is beautiful. and not done very often these days.

• Philippains 4 is lovely too - this was one of ours:

4Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

8Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable????????if anything is excellent or praiseworthy????????think about such things. 9Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me????????put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.

• Oooh all lovely readings, I am taking note! image
    Thanks veryhungrycatapillar! We are very excited... although I am considering switching one out with John 15:9-12

9 "As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love.

10 If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love.

11 I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.

12 My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you.
  • yes, that's nice image
  • emms33emms33 Posts: 622
    Hello,

We were advised to have 2 readings, one having to be a bible reading. Our priest said he would be happy to do the bible reading himself, but in the end my husbands cousin read Song of Soloman.

I liked it because it wasn't too "godly" if that makes sense as my partners side are not very religious, and it talks of nature and just really struck a cord with me. It's sort of more like a poem too.

My sister then read a Scottish Wedding Blessing which was just beautiful

xxx
  • They dont have to be from the bible, just depends what your minister will allow.

My sister is reading for us 1 corinthians 13, from one of our fave films a walk to remember.
    Princess131110, that reading is from the bible.