Forum home Archived The Ceremony

Civil Ceremony followed by a Catholic Church Blessing?

My fiance and I are both Catholics and it is important to us to have our marriage recognised in the Church, However, for a variety of reasons we do not want a full Catholic wedding service. My ideal scenario would be a quiet civil ceremony somewhere follwed by a church blessing in a small Catholic Church (not my parish), that is important to me. Any thoughts or advice on this would be appreciated. Is this 'allowed'? Where should we start? Who should we speak to?

Many Thanks in advance!!

• Hmm, I'm sure this is 'allowed' but I don't know who you would go about speaking to if its not your parish. Could you get in touch with the priest of the church if you have one in mind? I'm hoping to get married in my parish but H2B is not Catholic therefore don't want the full-on mass, just a service with readings etc. All the Catholics I have spoken to didn't think this would be a problem, and I'm going to try to speak to the priest about it myself just to make sure.
  • Hi. I don't think a blessing is allowed but you should be allowed prayers to be offered for you, but you would have to speak to priest at the parish you want.

And missy-ellie, we were told we had to have mass as part of the wedding (can cause problems btw!!)

I think, as much as I know anyway, its at the disceretion of the priest and/or bishop as to what they do and don't allow.
  • jemcoljemcol Posts: 1,162
    we are having a mixed ceremony, getting married in church of scotland with the caltholic church present too to do a blessing of somewhat?

Meeting the preist next week so should have a better idea of how it all happens.

We did meet with the deacon a few months ago to do our paperwork for dispensation so h2b can get married outwith catholic church, just found out that because we have moved parishes since we have to apply for another dispensation!! the last took 4 months to come through and they denied it at first as they confused us wiht another couple! hope this one is less stressful and quick!! and being tight hope i dont have to pay for it again!

best plan is to meet with your local priest / Decon and they will tell u all what u can and cant do.
  • This place is fantastic for games. Very reasonable, a real gem. www.smartogo.co.uk
  • For what it's worth - I'm nearly certain you can't have a civil wedding followed by a blessing. It won't be recognised by the church. But you could have a wedding service without the nuptial Mass. This is possible ( my friend - Catholic married a non-Catholic) and it was allowed. But you need to check...

The other alternative is to have a civil wedding followed by a blessing in another denomination.

Myself - to save the agg, am having a full Nuptial Mass. Much easier that way!

• If you are adamant that you dont want a church wedding, then why be hypocritical to want a catholic blessing? i find this quite rude to catholics who are 'true' to their faith, rather than taking bits and pieces from it.

plus dont think it will be allowed under canon law - you cant mix and match a civil wedding with a wedding that is joined together by God!!!
  • Quoted:
    Hmm, I'm sure this is 'allowed' but I don't know who you would go about speaking to if its not your parish. Could you get in touch with the priest of the church if you have one in mind? I'm hoping to get married in my parish but H2B is not Catholic therefore don't want the full-on mass, just a service with readings etc. All the Catholics I have spoken to didn't think this would be a problem, and I'm going to try to speak to the priest about it myself just to make sure.

Hi - No this won't be a problem to you. But you do have to promise that any children you have will be brought up as Catholics. Shouldn't be a problem to marry in your parish either, as the paperwork will have to come from there in any case. Hope this helps.

• Hi - No this won't be a problem to you. But you do have to promise that any children you have will be brought up as Catholics. Shouldn't be a problem to marry in your parish either, as the paperwork will have to come from there in any case. Hope this helps.

Thanks, this is helpful, I've been given the same advice by a few people at my church as well which is reassuring. Bringing children up as Catholics won't be a problem for me as I would do this anyway! Hopefully meeting with the priest next week to sort things out properly.
  • Great!! Glad to have been of help -Let me know how you get on...
  • CoireCoire Posts: 63
    You can have the Catholic wedding ceremony in a church, without the full mass, my friend did this in the summer and my fiance and I are doing it too. It's a good idea if it's either a mixed marriage or a lot of the congregation aren't Catholic (my fiance and his family are CofE, but comes to Mass with me, and my extended family are also CofE, as we converted to RC when I was younger).

The priest will go through all the church expects of you (lots of good little Catholic children etc!image ) in your wedding preparation classes, so don't worry!
  • This is the way weddings work in a lot of other countries. Both here in Germany (where we live) and in Singapore (where we're getting married), church ceremonies are always "blessings" in a sense, because they are never legal, and everyone has to have a registry office wedding first.

The problem in our case is that I'm not christened at all, and H2B doesn't attend church in the city where we live (he attends in his home village whenever he's back), and we've had a bit of opposition from priests who insist we should be getting married in "our parish".

Good luck and I hope it works out for you!