Forum home Archived The Ceremony

church??

me and h2b have looked at several churches and all the ministers say they wont marry us because we dont live in the area or have connections. i want to get married in a church that looks like a church (if you get me!) i want it to look traditional, not just like any old building with pews inside. does anyone know of a church in the aberdeen/shire area that isnt so fussy of who they marry?? we have the reception venue picked but cant book until we have a church!

any help would be good

Jules xx

• FrabsFrabs Posts: 186
    We are getting married outside our Parish and suggested to the Vicar that if we attended regularly would it be a problem getting married there. We attended for about 6 months and then he added us to the electrol role and we're getting married there in August! Maybe if you pick one - Start attending and then ask they may change there mind?!?
  • Jadis_NTJadis_NT Posts: 515
    The church of scotland have a website which has a 'find your local church' function:

www.churchofscotland.org.uk

It klists all the churches for a particular area, including email, phone and - where available - websites. So you could decide on a place and contact them from the comfort of your sofa!

Of the two church of scotland places we looked at, they weren't at all bothered we were from a different parish - although it did put the prices up.

Hope that helps
  • hiya bouncy35, i know exactly what u mean!! my fiance and i actually attend church almost every week, but don't want to marry at our church because it is just a normal building... so we r gunna b attending a tradtional one for 6 months to go on electral role so we r entitled to marry there.

here is a link to a pic of whr we r marrying - hope it works?

http://www.g0mwt.org.uk/training/photos/church.jpg
  • hiya bouncy35, i know exactly what u mean!! my fiance and i actually attend church almost every week, but don't want to marry at our church because it is just a normal building... so we r gunna b attending a tradtional one for 6 months to go on electral role so we r entitled to marry there.

here is a link to a pic of whr we r marrying - hope it works?

http://www.g0mwt.org.uk/training/photos/church.jpg
  • bouncy35ukbouncy35uk Posts: 1,416
    hey PinkMadBride2B that looks like such a beautiful church, may i ask what its called? the other night my fiance and i came across Dunnotter church so will be contacting them later today! i went to a church for 8 years when i was younger as i was part of the girls brigade there but its a bit of a run down old building now :\(, else i wouldve just went there.

thanks for the advice ladies

Julie xx
  • hiya julie, its called st.mary's church. Its in great baddow, essex x
  • bouncy35ukbouncy35uk Posts: 1,416
    it looks gorgeous lol, my mum had a brainwave today she said how about getting married in a castle, it means we dont have to find a church so i was going to ask if the minister from my old church would marry us there and it would cut costs down as we would only be having one venue instead of 2. im a big kid at heart too so it would still be as magical as a traditional church would image also it means we are out of the way of town so would be nice an tranquil (sp?)

Jules x