Forum home Archived The Ceremony

Catholics marrying in Church of England?

Does anyone know what the requirements are for Catholics marrying in the Church of England? x

• cressydec08cressydec08 Posts: 1,474
    The CofE doesn't have any denomination restrictions. It's only restrictions are where you can get married.

Anyone can get married in their parish church, you don't even have to be baptised, so you certainly don't have to be C of E.

However, if you want to get married in a church that isn't your parish church, then it can be more difficult.

A couple who want to get married in a different church, and who attend that church regularly, should be able to marry there.

However, most other people who want to marry in a church that is not their parish church, have to apply for a special license. In order to get a special license you should be able to demonstrate a genuine connection to the church in which you wish to wed. We've got a special license to marry in the church I attended until I was 18 (I then moved away to university), which is also the church I was baptised in, and the church my parents still attend.

So if Catholics want to marry in a C of E church that isn't their parish church, then they might find it difficult to do so, but if it's their parish church then they have the right to marry there (providing they meet the legal requirements).

[Modified by: cressydec08 on December 24, 2007 10:54 AM]
  • Kipper09Kipper09 Posts: 341
    Thanks Cressy,

I'm CofE and my h2b is Catholic. We're hoping to marry in the Parish Church that I used to go to until I went to university and where my dad still goes.

mil2b said last night that she wasn't happy that h2b might not marry in a Catholic Church so we have to sort that too!
    You shouldn't have any trouble then as you clearly have a close connection to the church you want to marry in.

The CofE website actually has an FAQ on this subject...

http://www.cofe.anglican.org/lifeevents/weddings/weddingfaq2.html

Good luck with the mil2b, I'm sure she'll come round.
  • krugie28krugie28 Posts: 487
    Hi Kipper,

Think it best for your to approach your vicar and ask him. The vicar in my parish church was quite rude towards us when he found out h2b is catholic, he said he wouldn't marry us. think it totally depends on the vicar, as you'll see from searching through the threads...
    Quoted:
    Hi Kipper,

Think it best for your to approach your vicar and ask him. The vicar in my parish church was quite rude towards us when he found out h2b is catholic, he said he wouldn't marry us. think it totally depends on the vicar, as you'll see from searching through the threads...

If this has happened, then you should contact your region's diocesan office and report it, as it should not happen.

The C of E's guidelines are clear, that providing a couple meet the legal requirements (i.e. be old enough etc), they are allowed to marry in their parish church regardless of denomination.

The FAQ I posted above clearly states that "People of all denominations have a right to be married in their parish church (provided they have not been married before). So it doesn't matter from the Church of England's perspective."
  • hi

i am catholic and we are getting married in a cofe church. It was my h2b's parish church until we moved in march this year, his parents still live in the parish but they have still said that seeing as we dont live in the parish now (even though he did for 27 yrs!)that we will have to go to church for 6 months prior to the wedding and be added to the electoral register in that parish. That way we can get married there - even though h2b has only just (about a month before we approached the church!)been taken off electoral reg in that area! They havent even asked us about religious orientation - they gave us a booklet and it said in it that you can be of any religion as long as you lived in the parish and/or attended the church. I would say the best thing to do is to contact the church admin office and ask them - thats what we did and they are happy to marry us.:\)
  • My H2B is also catholic and I am c of e and we are marrying in c of e. it has been no problem at all they are more than willing to marry us as long as we both attend the church "regularly" in the run up to the wedding - really only once a month.

We had not attended church for years and it was still fine.

Only prob was mil2b, as she is a very devout catholic. We are also having a catholic priest to give a blessing to keep H2b's relatives happy. This will mean that (as long as h2b provides certain pieces of evidence to the catholic priest NOT c of e vicar eg baptism certs for me and him) it will also be recognised in the catholic church. Which is quite useful for future schools for kids if the best schools are catholic in your area. There is a possibility that the catholic spouse my have to make a promise to make their "best endeavours" to bring the kids up as catholics, but that does not necessarily have to happen in reality.

It seems to us to be a good compromise. I have to say the c of e have been nothing but co-operative and flexible. All we have had to do is attedn church which is really what you should do if you are getting married in church.

Hope this helps

xx