Is it wrong to think of buying weddinng rings online?

Hello all!

Just wondered what everyone's thoughts are about buying wedding rings online?

I have seen a beautiful platinum one online and can't seem to find one in any of the shops. Even better it does seem very reasonable, but does it not take the romance out of it all?

Has anyone done this already and would you like to share your thoughts on your experience by doing it this way?

• Hi Mrs M 2b

I think it's individual choice as to where you buy your rings from.

I have been looking online too and have seen some gorgeous incredible bargains that they just do not have in the shops, so I might buy ours online.

We are yet to have a day dedicated to shopping for wedding rings, i bet H2b can't wait !!!

• Mrs_AmandaMrs_Amanda Posts: 3,284
    I will probably get ours online, from www.weddingrings-direct.com
  • Don't see any problem in it - the romantic bit is slipping them onto each others fingers, right?!
  • We are getting ours online, as we live in Guernsey we don't have much choice over here and they are quite expensive.

I don't see that there is anything wrong with it, it can still be romantic, wine, a CD and browsing the net instead of gazing through windows!

N x
  • We are getting ours made in Birminghams Jewelry quarter and I have to leave my engagement ring with them for a week so they can make my ring fit the engagement ring perfectly.....so this way is less romantic i think as I am without my engagement ring image
  • JnutmanJnutman Posts: 561
    I say that if you have seen the ring you want go for it. You may never see another like it and will only be comparing every other to it.

Good luck.

xx
  • MrsM2BMrsM2B Posts: 1,040
    thanks peeps!

I think I may just go for it...by the way the website is www.platinumringcompany.com if it helps!

xx
  • Natalie77ukNatalie77uk Posts: 1,247
    Oh Sensual Em I'd hate to be without my engagement ring for a whole week! I'm so attached to it I couldn't bear to be parted with it!

Mrs M2b there are some beautiful ring designs on the website and they are not bad prices either so if it feels right then go for it.

The only thing I would say is if you want it to sit comfortably with your engagement ring it would be better to go to a jewellers in case they need to take a nick out of it or something. Having said that I don't see why you couldn't buy it online and then later take it to a jewellers if it needed adjusting. That could end up costing you more though so you'd have to look into it. Just something to think about.

• We went to beaverbrooks to try some on which was lucky as we were planning on a completely differnet style.

Then we bought them from Pure Jewells on line and saved ourselves about nearly a grand on the shop platinum prices image

Mine was only 180 his 360 when the shop wanted 495 for mine and 995 for h2b's
  • I really liked one of the welsh gold two tone rings on weddingrings-direct.com, but really can't afford over two hundred quid for rings! are you all really spending as much as you say???
    We're having platinum and my thin, plain band will be about £300. He's having a thicker, heavier band and we're expecting to pay about £800.

For me, it's one of the most important aspects of the wedding costs. We'll be wearing them all day, every day, for many years so I am willing to pay whatever's needed to get what we want. We've compromised elsewhere to work it into our budget.
  • ellybeeellybee Posts: 1,381
    Quoted:
    I will probably get ours online, from www.weddingrings-direct.com

We got ours from this site and they're brilliant. We went around loads of jewellers to try rings on and see what we liked and then bought them from here - saved £500 on what it would have cost in shops!
  • We got our's online, saying that the lady came round to our house and we went through and showed her what design we wanted. Had them delivered 8 weeks later and it was great. Saved a bundle!!
  • Wow i have been looking on line just worry that it will turn up and not fit properly over my engagement ring any of you had this problem ?
  • Just looked at www.platinumringcompany.com and what bargains
    wedding-rings direct send you samples to try before you buy so you can get several to see how they fit before committing to spending your money
  • Yes was just looking at that although dont youhave to pay 15 pounds per sample???
    last time I looked, it was £10 in total, but might have changed since then!!
  • Pjuk1Pjuk1 Posts: 72
    We just had our platinum rings delivered and love them!! We saved a fortune compared to high street prices. We used bandsoflove.com. Good luck!
  • Joey0810Joey0810 Posts: 537
    Hey PJ, Im gald you recieved your rings okay. WE ordered our from them at the beginning of the week. It cost us 50% when compared to the high street stores. In addition they were the best online shop for weight per money.
  • We can't afford the really expensive rings and will be spending approximately £150 for both rings. I only want a simple court style and H2B doesn't really like elaborate stuff.

As far as we're concerned, if they fit and they're comfortable and look nice, they don't have to cost the earth. That said, it would be nice to have a custom ring madeimage

Kate x
  • goneawaygoneaway Posts: 1,676
    Not at all - we got my engagement ring online - a 1/4 carat diamond solitaire in platinum for £450! Lovely it is too. I'll be getting my wedding ring online too - 3mm platinum band for £245. Go for it - in a shop you're only paying for overheads anyway. Just make sure you trust the seller, ask lots of questions and go with who feels right.
  • SuziewooSuziewoo Posts: 417
    No not at all. We bought our rings from http://www.smoochrings.co.uk/ and they have arrived and are fantastic.

There are so many different styles to choose from and they come to you when its convenient for YOU and they are not pushy at all. I highly reccomend them.

Good luck with your search.

Suziewoos xx
  • We were tempted to buy online too as it is so much cheaper - but it is cheaper for a reason. Apparently the ones you buy online are made from a cast and you can get air bubbles in the cast which means that after wearing them for a while and the outer edge rubs off a bit, sometimes you can get black marks in the rings where the air bubbles were. Quite a few different jewellers told us that - but then again that might just have been their hard sell!
  • mrshtobemrshtobe Posts: 103
    I used bands of love too and ours came today - they are just what I wanted!
  • MrsSomshor2BMrsSomshor2B Posts: 320
    Someone just metioned www.smoochrings.co.uk on another thread i have just been on the website and it looks really good. I think i would have to get mine from the internet anyway as my H2B bought my engagment ring when we were in Canada and its 14ct not avalible on the high street
  • vibsukvibsuk Posts: 2,094
    Nothing wrong with it at all.

We're buying ours from www.weddingringsdirect.co.uk. REALLY reasonable and great communication so far.

Quick question: when should we order them?

xx
    We've used weddingringsdirect too. .......

I ordered them on 3rd May and had an email yesterday saying they've been dispatched so I hope to get them today. We have 5 weeks until the wedding. I wanted to order them in good time so that they could go back should something be not quite right .....